The chance of being rich if your father is not rich...

Started by SoldierofFortune, December 19, 2018, 12:31:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoldierofFortune

in these times, it is close to impossibility, i think...

when i say rich, i don't mean ultra-rich...
just a few millions maybe...

Baruch

Quote from: SoldierofFortune on December 19, 2018, 12:31:09 AM
in these times, it is close to impossibility, i think...

when i say rich, i don't mean ultra-rich...
just a few millions maybe...

Of course.  Very few hit the jackpot ... and if they do, it is probably because they are a front company for the CIA (see Facebook).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Megamillions, Powerball, all the proven ways to get rich.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on December 19, 2018, 06:55:30 AM
Megamillions, Powerball, all the proven ways to get rich.

Selling secrets to Mata Hari is more fun.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Joseph Patrick Kennedy was an example of getting rich if your father wasn't.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on December 19, 2018, 08:55:57 AM
Joseph Patrick Kennedy was an example of getting rich if your father wasn't.

Irish mafia.  Bootlegging should be made legal!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Gawdzilla Sama

"The law, in its majesty, forbids the rich as well as the poor from begging, stealing and sleeping under bridges."
PZ Myers

aitm

A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Unbeliever

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on December 19, 2018, 05:15:01 PM
"The law, in its majesty, forbids the rich as well as the poor from begging, stealing and sleeping under bridges."
I, then, am a law breaker, since I sleep under a bridge. Does that make me a troll?

Oh, well...

;-)
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on December 20, 2018, 05:54:36 PM
I, then, am a law breaker, since I sleep under a bridge. Does that make me a troll?

Oh, well...

;-)

You eat little children who cross your bridge.  So I rhetorically ask ... do they taste good, are they tender ;-(

Yes, being a vagrant is against the law.  Shouldn't be however!!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

The chances of you being rich if your father was not are pretty slimm.  I once read that the best 2 ways of becoming wealthy were if you (legally) stole money or if you inherited it and that inheriting it was the better option.

Some people are geniuses and earn it via Microsoft and Apple.  Some people get moderate wealth by saving and investing.  My Dad was not a Robber Baron or the son of one, so I had to save and invest intelligently.

Guess who got out of the stock market before Trump started ruining the economy?
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on December 21, 2018, 06:47:32 AM
The chances of you being rich if your father was not are pretty slimm.  I once read that the best 2 ways of becoming wealthy were if you (legally) stole money or if you inherited it and that inheriting it was the better option.

Some people are geniuses and earn it via Microsoft and Apple.  Some people get moderate wealth by saving and investing.  My Dad was not a Robber Baron or the son of one, so I had to save and invest intelligently.

You didn't waste your money on marriage and children (not that there is anything wrong with not marrying or parenting).  I would be much materially richer, with different life choices.  I am happy with the ones I made (which involve disaster and other pains).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on December 21, 2018, 06:47:32 AM
Pence?

Melania?
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on December 21, 2018, 07:06:22 AM
You didn't waste your money on marriage and children (not that there is anything wrong with not marrying or parenting).  I would be much materially richer, with different life choices.  I am happy with the ones I made (which involve disaster and other pains).

I fully understand that.  I was just saying that what I could save went well.  Quick story.  When I was about 15, I had saved about $60 and wanted to invest it.  My Dad's Broker kindly agreed to manage my small fund (I'm sure he spotted a future customer). 

I wanted Sperry Rand at $5 per share.  I thought computers were a good investment.  Dad liked old established companies.  Studebaker was also selling at $5 per share.  He forced me into Studebaker.  In a couple years, it went to $13.  Hurray!

Sperry Rand went to $56.

I never forgot that...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!