News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

War With Germany?

Started by Minimalist, December 17, 2018, 09:14:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on December 21, 2018, 08:46:01 AM
Debating on what might have happened is tail-chasing. I simple bet that human nature will cause people to act in their own interest rather than for the greater good.

Debating on what might have happened is tail-chasing.  But I am proposing a new way of choosing leaders.  Granted it IS based on what might have been in the Constitution had the Founders guessed what happened just a decade later. 

There is a very fine line between "what if" and "alternate history".
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Unbeliever

Quote from: Cavebear on December 21, 2018, 02:35:24 AM
Just saying we might want to consider a few changes to the current situation...

Considering changes is all well and good, but it's a far cry from implementing changes. That won't happen, I think.

But that may just be my pessimism speaking.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on December 21, 2018, 02:39:04 PM
Considering changes is all well and good, but it's a far cry from implementing changes. That won't happen, I think.

But that may just be my pessimism speaking.

Oh of course it can't be changed.  Political Parties are embedded in law and culture.  But that time machine, now...

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on December 21, 2018, 08:46:01 AM
Debating on what might have happened is tail-chasing. I simple bet that human nature will cause people to act in their own interest rather than for the greater good.

Correct.  What-if-ing is god like.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on December 21, 2018, 07:21:03 AM
I didn't miss the point, I disregarded it, with reason. You presume people are going to be cooperative without showing why that would happen with certainty.

Opposing consuls happened in the Roman Republic.  Disastrous.  The Founding Fathers realized they hadn't read their Roman history close enough.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Minimalist

QuoteThe original intent was for several good candidates for President to seek the office,

Yes.  In many ways the Founding Fathers were fucking morons.
The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

Baruch

Quote from: Minimalist on December 22, 2018, 12:47:24 AM

Geniuses ... only compared to illiterates.  The Elites always think they are legendary.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Minimalist on December 22, 2018, 12:47:24 AM

Yeah, all that stupid stuff about silly dreams about justice and citizen rights and organized-but-separate power in govt.  Can't have THAT! 

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on December 25, 2018, 10:49:02 PM
Yeah, all that stupid stuff about silly dreams about justice and citizen rights and organized-but-separate power in govt.  Can't have THAT!

Political ideology .. BS all the way down the toilet.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on December 25, 2018, 11:50:13 PM
Political ideology .. BS all the way down the toilet.

Do you prefer a medieval monarch-based despotism over a court-system based on laws we all decide upon?  If so, I'm your guy!  I would be the best most justice-oriented despot ever.  And not even any heirs to complicate things when I died.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on December 26, 2018, 02:14:21 AM
Do you prefer a medieval monarch-based despotism over a court-system based on laws we all decide upon?  If so, I'm your guy!  I would be the best most justice-oriented despot ever.  And not even any heirs to complicate things when I died.

I hate them all, all social systems, all political systems (including anarchism).  All the -isms are pernicious monkey crap.

No, I don't like justice or injustice, I just like extinction of all parties.  (sarc).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on December 26, 2018, 02:32:50 AM
I hate them all, all social systems, all political systems (including anarchism).  All the -isms are pernicious monkey crap.

No, I don't like justice or injustice, I just like extinction of all parties.  (sarc).

Hmm an anarchist's anarchist you are.  What does that leave you but mob voting?  And we all know what you think about THAT!

Better find SOME hat to wear...  You don't seem to be allowing yourself many choices.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on December 26, 2018, 02:59:12 AM
Hmm an anarchist's anarchist you are.  What does that leave you but mob voting?  And we all know what you think about THAT!

Better find SOME hat to wear...  You don't seem to be allowing yourself many choices.

Shaving one's head and just meditating ... aka the no-hat solution.  But that seems wrong too.  So yes, I am a contrarian, on all levels, because people are completely crazy.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on December 26, 2018, 03:01:39 AM
Shaving one's head and just meditating ... aka the no-hat solution.  But that seems wrong too.  So yes, I am a contrarian, on all levels, because people are completely crazy.

I shaved my head last February and last July (really).  It didn't seem to change things.

But you aren't actually a contrarian.  You are a nihilist. 

And people aren't all completely crazy.  Just most of them.  Bang your head against a wall all you want, but eventually, the only productive thing to do is join the ones who are actually trying to get something done.

You ever watch Futurama?

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on December 26, 2018, 03:09:04 AM
I shaved my head last February and last July (really).  It didn't seem to change things.

But you aren't actually a contrarian.  You are a nihilist. 

And people aren't all completely crazy.  Just most of them.  Bang your head against a wall all you want, but eventually, the only productive thing to do is join the ones who are actually trying to get something done.

You ever watch Futurama?

Futurama?  Sure ... a good joke on all the sci-fi BS, though Rick & Morty is more woke to the scientism scam.

I do find meaning, and on a large scale, not just the personal scale like MikeCL.  I simply don't like what I find.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.