News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

War With Germany?

Started by Minimalist, December 17, 2018, 09:14:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minimalist

The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

Baruch

He is a reality show host.  Mr Trump must be very happy.  For an exhibitionist, any attention, even negative attention, is a positive.

PS - Mike Pence is the real President, same as Joe Biden was before him and Dick Cheney was before him and Al Gore was before him.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Minimalist

Pence doesn't dare open his mouth without permission.

You need to work on your delusions.  You know what John Nance Garner said about the Vice-Presidency?

Quote“The vice-presidency isnt worth a bucket of warm piss,”
-- John Nance Garner
The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

Baruch

Quote from: Minimalist on December 18, 2018, 12:47:16 AM
Pence doesn't dare open his mouth without permission.

You need to work on your delusions.  You know what John Nance Garner said about the Vice-Presidency?

You are ... mistaken.  I can see why you didn't post much for a long time.  So what got a bee in your bonnet?

My old boss, over 40 years ago said, if we ever let Germany re-unify, then WW III was on.  He may be proven right ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

I have to admit that "The Golden Idiot" is a pretty good term for the Trumpster. 

But I am mostly looking forward to January, when the Democrats control the House of Representatives.  There are some legitimate issues to be investigated.  Nearly everything with Trump's name on it is, and I don't mean for political payback or cheap shots like Ben Gazi or Clinton emails. 

I mean tax evasion, campaign fraud, foreign conspiracy, money-laundering, as far as basic crimes go.  And incompetence, nepotism, lying to Congress, and treason as far as impeachment concerns go.

And I'm looking at this through the eyes of US history.  Impeachment is a bad way to manage a government, but Trump deserves it for than any previous President.  And yes, I was an adult when Nixon deserved impeachment.

But Nixon didn't cooperate with a foreign enemy to fudge the election, he didn't try to earn money just by being President, he didn't take deliberate action to destroy our alliances with other nations, he didn't try to manage the Presidency as a profit center, and he didn't work daily in the media to diminish the Executive Agencies. 

Trump does...

Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Minimalist

Pence is a religitard putz.... and Garner was right.

Of course, he was hardly the first.

John Adams was the first!

Quote"My country has in its wisdom contrived for me the most insignificant office that ever the invention of man contrived or his imagination conceived."

-- H. L. Mencken

Baruch

I can predict that President Pence will openly execute gays and atheists.  And Democrats won't get the irony.

So what does Cavebear have to do with Germany?  A bear is the modern coat of arms of the city of Berlin.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Unbeliever on December 18, 2018, 02:02:45 PM
So, now he thinks collusion is a crime?
Did anybody else catch that line in "Rampage"?

Spooky OGA man: "Since when is collusion a crime?"

Blatantly criminal dude: "Yeah, right!
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Minimalist on December 18, 2018, 02:21:06 PM
Pence is a religitard putz.... and Garner was right.

Of course, he was hardly the first.

John Adams was the first!

The Founders had a great idea.  The 2nd best choice for President ought to be the one to assist, learn, and replace the President if something went wrong.  Parties changed all of that.  I'll just assume you know about how that happened and the sad consequences...

Maybe a new idea would be for the Vice-President to be separately elected, have actual important duties, and be one of the President's Cabinet positions. 

Suppose, for arguement's sake, that the Vice President was always some position of influence.  Secretary Of State or Defense maybe.  That would change the dynamics. 

Just saying we might want to consider a few changes to the current situation...

Gawdzilla Sama

The idea was absurd. "I lost to you but now I'm going to be behind you all the way. Unless, of course, you have an accident or something. Just sayin'."
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on December 21, 2018, 05:30:28 AM
The idea was absurd. "I lost to you but now I'm going to be behind you all the way. Unless, of course, you have an accident or something. Just sayin'."

You missed the point.  The original intent was for several good candidates for President to seek the office, one would get the most votes, and the next would be the best choice if something bad happened (like died).  And, of course, 2 talented people would be able to work together, either able to lead the nation.

Yeah, I know, Jefferson vs Adams, Hatfields and McCoys, Hamilton vs Burr, etc.  But given that the VP is usually some local pol idiot, wouldn't it be better for the top 2 to be available instead of the top one and his local croney?

Look at today.  If Trump was to "very unfortunately" die in office of flu, would the nation be better off with Pence or Clinton?  Actually, I might not want your answer to that, but the long-term effect might be that all parties might want more centrist choices from the other side and work to get more "balanced" people than we get today.

Gawdzilla Sama

I didn't miss the point, I disregarded it, with reason. You presume people are going to be cooperative without showing why that would happen with certainty.
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on December 21, 2018, 07:21:03 AM
I didn't miss the point, I disregarded it, with reason. You presume people are going to be cooperative without showing why that would happen with certainty.

OK, I accept your statement.  If you say you didn't miss my point, then you didn't.  You are intelligent.  Which means I wasn't convincing enough.

Suppose we said that political parties wouldn't have arisen in the US  because there had been some part of the Constitution that discouraged them.  A ban on the Presidential candidates cooperating, for example.  Or allowing parties, a ban on both offices held by one party.  It could have been arranged that way.

So instead of Jefferson and Burr, you had Jefferson and Adams.  What would have been the harm there?  They actually became friends later.  And as I said previously, that the VP had some serious duties. 

Imagine that Obama was President and Hillary Clinton had been VP and Secy Of State. 

Oh wait, that happened.  Biden was just the odd man out. 

But mainly, the Pres and VP would have had a better balance in their politics.  I'm just thinking it might have led to better Government...

Gawdzilla Sama

Debating on what might have happened is tail-chasing. I simple bet that human nature will cause people to act in their own interest rather than for the greater good.
PZ Myers