This ought to make Shiranu happy

Started by PopeyesPappy, December 14, 2018, 11:43:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PopeyesPappy

Federal judge in Texas strikes down Affordable Care Act

QuoteA federal judge in Texas said on Friday that the Affordable Care Act's individual coverage mandate is unconstitutional and that the rest of the law therefore cannot stand.

Legal experts say the ruling won't immediately affect Americans' health coverage, and a group of states led by California is already vowing to appeal. But the invalidation of the landmark health care law popularly known as Obamacare throws into doubt the future of health coverage for millions of Americans on the Obamacare exchanges and in Medicaid expansion.

The ruling and expected appeal sets up another cliffhanger in which the fate of the law, which Republicans have unsuccessfully tried to repeal for years, will likely once again ultimately lie with the Supreme Court.

Chief Justice John Roberts cast the deciding vote leaving the law intact in 2012, but it's unclear how the justices will view this challenge, which centers on changes to the individual mandate that were baked into the 2017 tax reform.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/14/politics/texas-aca-lawsuit/index.html
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Minimalist

It will certainly make the WLB and rest of the republicunts happy.  Now they can die broke and in peace!
The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

Baruch

Well, there are thousands of jurisdictions in the US court system.  How can anyone tell what the $*47 is going on?  It does matter if it is a Federal District court.  But two different Federal District Courts can disagree (see 9th circuit court aka hippie court in California).  Then it has to go to the Supreme Court, which already decided that not only the ACA, but any other crap that comes out of Congress' ass, is Constitutional.

Sorry if this disrupts Shiranu's coverage, but I predict a quick "stay" on the action of this court.  Texans of course think they are the only state in the Union.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

aitm

I spent 12 years in Texas and indeed they do think that whatever the fuck is said or comes out of Texas is the fucking WORD.....also this, across the state in hundreds of bars men strut about wearing large belt buckles depicting some type of horse riding or rodeo role whereas in fact most of em never touched a horse much less tried to ride one, or pony for that.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Baruch

Quote from: aitm on December 15, 2018, 08:41:15 AM
I spent 12 years in Texas and indeed they do think that whatever the fuck is said or comes out of Texas is the fucking WORD.....also this, across the state in hundreds of bars men strut about wearing large belt buckles depicting some type of horse riding or rodeo role whereas in fact most of em never touched a horse much less tried to ride one, or pony for that.

Californians for Kevorkian?  Yes, we need more regionalism-hate.  Thanks to Cavebear, I would feed all the New Englanders to the lobsters.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Minimalist

Quote from: aitm on December 15, 2018, 08:41:15 AM

Probably not.... but I bet they voted for the Horse's Ass.
The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

The Federal Judge's decision will be overturned by higher courts.  The decision was based on the idea that, if the mandate to enroll was lost, the whole ACA was unconstitutional.  Every opinion I read lately says that is a false premise.  Many of the parts of the ACA do not depend on mandatory enrollment (coverage for pre-existing conditions, coverage for under-26 year olds).

And the ACA is NOT stopped.  It remains the law while the courts work out the decisions in other Federal Courts around the country and while Congress will have some say in amending the ACA after January 2019.

And about objections to the ACA, I should mention that enrollment was up in MD this year and costs went down 30%, so it isn't a failing system...  Most participants consider it very beneficial.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Unbeliever

Trump's supporters hate Obama-care, but they love the ACA! LOL
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on December 18, 2018, 01:58:33 PM

If idiots aren't allowed to vote, then no votes are cast.  The Robert's court decision is much wider than ACA ... fully as destructive as Citizen's United.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on December 18, 2018, 01:58:33 PM

Yes, they like the provisions.  But the Republicans have taught their base to hate the name.  "If Obama (God help us a Democrat AND a Black guy) there MUST be something wrong with it. 

Being against something JUST because of who passed it is idiodic.  The value is in the facts of the law...

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on December 21, 2018, 02:39:31 AM
Yes, they like the provisions.  But the Republicans have taught their base to hate the name.  "If Obama (God help us a Democrat AND a Black guy) there MUST be something wrong with it. 

Being against something JUST because of who passed it is idiodic.  The value is in the facts of the law...

That was deliberate.  If the same thing had been done by Mitt Romney, and it was, then there is no starry eyed charisma is ... Romney-Care.  Obama was a good snake oil salesman of Republican programs.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on December 21, 2018, 08:36:26 PM
That was deliberate.  If the same thing had been done by Mitt Romney, and it was, then there is no starry eyed charisma is ... Romney-Care.  Obama was a good snake oil salesman of Republican programs.

That Republicans hate Romney-Care just because it was pushed by Obama and passed by Democrats just shows how utterly partisan AND racist most Republicans are.  It disgusts me.

And you can drop the "snake oil" claim.  Obama tried to work with the Republicans to pass their own program and all they said in return was "No Second Term" and opposed everything. 

And they gave us Trump!  Congrats to them for fucking the nation and the world...

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on December 26, 2018, 02:31:50 AM
That Republicans hate Romney-Care just because it was pushed by Obama and passed by Democrats just shows how utterly partisan AND racist most Republicans are.  It disgusts me.

And you can drop the "snake oil" claim.  Obama tried to work with the Republicans to pass their own program and all they said in return was "No Second Term" and opposed everything. 

And they gave us Trump!  Congrats to them for fucking the nation and the world...

So if Republicans are for breathing, you would hold your breath?  Even if 100% of Republicans supported Romney-care ... and 100% Democrats supported Romney-care, and didn't use it for political triangulation (split the opposition) .. it would still be wrong.  This is why I don't support democracy.  Wrong is wrong.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on December 26, 2018, 02:40:48 AM
So if Republicans are for breathing, you would hold your breath?  Even if 100% of Republicans supported Romney-care ... and 100% Democrats supported Romney-care, and didn't use it for political triangulation (split the opposition) .. it would still be wrong.  This is why I don't support democracy.  Wrong is wrong.

You mis-state the facts (as usual).  If the Republicans voted for breathing, so would the Democrats.  It is when the Democrats vote for breathing FIRST, that the Republican decide they must be against it. 

When pure angry partisan politics get involved, you can be sure the Republicans are on the wrong side.  That is VERY sad and I wish it would change.