Author Topic: So It Seems That Brexit Has Become a Category 5 Shitstorm  (Read 17577 times)

Offline trdsf

Re: So It Seems That Brexit Has Become a Category 5 Shitstorm
« Reply #915 on: November 06, 2019, 08:33:24 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Or a bercow plus hie, push his tummy and he says one of five sentences 'ordah', 'ordaaaaahhhhh', 'I don' t give a flying flamingo', 'my right and honorable friend' and 'order!'
You know, I might be willing to buy one of those.  :D
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

« Reply #916 on: November 07, 2019, 01:20:40 PM »
I'd love it if the thing said "ordure!"
Atheism: The belief that we have a long way to go before we even begin to understand the infinite complexities of the universe.
Religion: "The big magic sky-man made it all, now give me some money."

Offline Mr.Obvious

• Atheist Mantis
  • Jacuzzi Member
  • The rules are made up, and the points don't matter
« Reply #917 on: November 08, 2019, 07:21:28 AM »
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, requesting 69 last night.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Offline Baruch

« Reply #918 on: November 08, 2019, 10:42:00 AM »
Yeah.  A Laborite, disguised as a Tory.  An advocate not a neutral (as his office requires).  A person with peccadillos like Boris.  The new Speaker seems a return to tradition (aka what is English common law, but tied to that unwritten constitution of theirs).

If I were British, I wouldn't know how to vote (what was best for Britain).  As an American, I can't say I have any love for the European Coal and Steel Cartel aka EU.  Don't have any love for French or German politics.  Generally I find British politics, aside from Brexit, to be inane.

Brexit itself in any form is iffy.  I wouldn't trust politicians on either side of the Channel not to screw me.
Zampa xiquihto.  Amo nimitzcuamachilia.
Say it again.  I don't understand you.

Offline Mr.Obvious

• Atheist Mantis
  • Jacuzzi Member
« Reply #919 on: November 08, 2019, 07:21:48 PM »
Yeah.  A Laborite, disguised as a Tory.  An advocate not a neutral (as his office requires).  A person with peccadillos like Boris.  The new Speaker seems a return to tradition (aka what is English common law, but tied to that unwritten constitution of theirs).

If I were British, I wouldn't know how to vote (what was best for Britain).  As an American, I can't say I have any love for the European Coal and Steel Cartel aka EU.  Don't have any love for French or German politics.  Generally I find British politics, aside from Brexit, to be inane.

Brexit itself in any form is iffy.  I wouldn't trust politicians on either side of the Channel not to screw me.

I wouldn't quite count him Labour, though it is quite clear Bercow has drifted more to the left over the years.
But you know, hate his style during his decade reign as the speaker, or love it; I don't think he truly tended to misuse his position in an unfair and unbalanced way. Nobody has no mind of his own. He can't be neutral as an individual. He just needed to be it as the speaker. And from my point of view, especially in such trying times, he did his best to maintain that neutrality. And by and large, succeeded.

Offline trdsf

« Reply #920 on: November 08, 2019, 09:43:20 PM »
Like he said, his responsibility was not to the government, but to the House of Commons as a body and as an institution.  I'll definitely miss him; it should be fun when he's elevated to the peerage and takes his seat alongside Betty Boothroyd in Lords...
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Offline Baruch

« Reply #921 on: November 09, 2019, 02:32:01 AM »
I wouldn't quite count him Labour, though it is quite clear Bercow has drifted more to the left over the years.
But you know, hate his style during his decade reign as the speaker, or love it; I don't think he truly tended to misuse his position in an unfair and unbalanced way. Nobody has no mind of his own. He can't be neutral as an individual. He just needed to be it as the speaker. And from my point of view, especially in such trying times, he did his best to maintain that neutrality. And by and large, succeeded.

He was an ideological EU Remainer, like so many other MPs.  And couldn't help himself to prevent a total victory of Nazism (Leavers).  Neutrality was less important than the complete ideological certainty of being more right than 17 million voters.  Basically politics is one totalitarianism against another (Hitler vs Stalin).  There are no real democracies, just fake elections.

Don't you believe, as almost all of humanity, that the "end justifies the means"?  The people shouldn't be allowed to vote, because they might vote wrong.  Doesn't matter to me if one is Left or Right.  Either way, the failure to reject the inner "dictator" is the death of humanity.  So many say, they would prefer a "benevolent" dictator.  A liberal dictatorship.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 02:35:19 AM by Baruch »

Offline Mr.Obvious

• Atheist Mantis
  • Jacuzzi Member
« Reply #922 on: November 09, 2019, 03:07:10 AM »
He was an ideological EU Remainer, like so many other MPs.  And couldn't help himself to prevent a total victory of Nazism (Leavers).  Neutrality was less important than the complete ideological certainty of being more right than 17 million voters.  Basically politics is one totalitarianism against another (Hitler vs Stalin).  There are no real democracies, just fake elections.

Don't you believe, as almost all of humanity, that the "end justifies the means"?  The people shouldn't be allowed to vote, because they might vote wrong.  Doesn't matter to me if one is Left or Right.  Either way, the failure to reject the inner "dictator" is the death of humanity.  So many say, they would prefer a "benevolent" dictator.  A liberal dictatorship.

I need to check, because of the way you tend to communicate, but do you mean to imply Brexit couldn't leave because of Bercow?

Rather than the fact that there was no parliamentary majority for a multidimensional question that had basically been reduced to a 'upvote' or 'downvote' post on reddit? Rather than that leave was divided within between hard brexit, soft brexit, ... Rather than whatever the fuck the tories were doing for three years before this saga hit what we thought were going to be the final moments of brexit and try to ram the same bill through time and time again hoping for a different result, like a madman?  (Did I ever tell you the definition of insanity?) Rather than the opposition doing what they do, namely oppose, and being almost half of parliament, and after some sacking by the current PM: the majority?

Offline Baruch

« Reply #923 on: November 09, 2019, 04:35:27 AM »
I need to check, because of the way you tend to communicate, but do you mean to imply Brexit couldn't leave because of Bercow?

Rather than the fact that there was no parliamentary majority for a multidimensional question that had basically been reduced to a 'upvote' or 'downvote' post on reddit? Rather than that leave was divided within between hard brexit, soft brexit, ... Rather than whatever the fuck the tories were doing for three years before this saga hit what we thought were going to be the final moments of brexit and try to ram the same bill through time and time again hoping for a different result, like a madman?  (Did I ever tell you the definition of insanity?) Rather than the opposition doing what they do, namely oppose, and being almost half of parliament, and after some sacking by the current PM: the majority?

PS ... Bercow also just said, Corbyn isn't anti-Semitic.  The Hell!  Corbyn supports Hamas.  So Bercow must also support the Caliphate conquest of Europe, same as Corbyn.  And that is anti-Semitic (as in anti-Jewish).  Many Arabs are Semites.  So in a way, they are also being pro-Semitic, if you forget about all the Muslims (say Pakistanis) who aren't Arabs.

So in a partisan way, Bercow is a horrible little man.  A regular troll under a bridge eating Jewish children (sarc).

No.  It is clear that all MPs, including Boris' bunch, are Remainers.  Some just are more in the closet than others.  That is to say, it isn't a Right/Left issue.  It is an Establishment vs People issue.  But don't assume I am pro-democracy.  If I were British, and a Leave means leave ... then I would be furious.  I am neither.  The original referendum was a Tory mistake, as was the Scottish referendum.  But not because I am pro-Union or pro-EU.  As I recently discussed with my daughter, in a totally non-ideological way ... the politicians are idiots.  And their idiocy can get millions killed.

Sham upon sham, including the particulars of this new GE.  But this is playing with fire.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 10:47:23 AM by Baruch »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk