So It Seems That Brexit Has Become a Category 5 Shitstorm

Started by Minimalist, December 13, 2018, 07:21:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on September 20, 2019, 09:06:28 PM
I do wonder, if Johnson was middle eastern, but with the exact same mannerisms and personality, would you regard him as the uk trump then?

Americans not as enamored of "progressive" Muslims as Brits are.  Meanwhile I see a pattern ...

The UK is run by a Dungeon Master in a real life D&D session like in the 1980s.  The complexity of events in UK is because of the many-sided dice used in that sophomoric amusement.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

Quote from: Munch on September 20, 2019, 09:06:28 PM
I do wonder, if Johnson was middle eastern, but with the exact same mannerisms and personality, would you regard him as the uk trump then?

Yes, but the fact that he literally looks like Trump's slighty dorkier brother makes it much more on the nose.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on September 21, 2019, 12:27:26 AM
Yes, but the fact that he literally looks like Trump's slighty dorkier brother makes it much more on the nose.

Final stage of TDS?  Everyone looks like Trump.  Like bad episode of Star Trek Next Generation, where Worf and son are in the holodeck, and all the other characters turn into versions of Data.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

At Labor party conference, it is night of the long knives, as internecine struggle resumes between Blairites and Corbynites.

On one Youtube posting, a guy posing as Boris Johnson commented about the controversy ...

"Labor are poopyheads".  LoL
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

The Supreme Court (UK, 11 justices), a recent invention of Tony Blaire (Labor) ... has sided against the Government (Boris Johnson) in favor of the opposition (Jeremy Corbin et al).  Basically you can't do anything in the UK, without full permission of the opposition bench (or other litigants).  If you extend this ruling to beyond (when and how many days you can prorogue).  Basically the PM power is not unlimited in areas not already limited by statute (there was almost no law specifying limits on prorogue).  The conversations with the Queen remain inviolate however.

Fascinating sport, more interesting than watching football (soccer) in my opinion.  More like cock fighting.

The ruling can be appealed to the EU court system.

On another line, a UK court found in favor of Brexit, against the charge that the managing of the Leave campaign in 2016 did anything substantially improper aka illegal.

So, they inch ever closer to Civil War in the UK.  If that happens, I don't see the EU gaining any brownie points, since they may end up being subject to kinetic offenses.

So, we will see what Boris will do.  I really don't think he is up to a Churchillian performance.  Nobody is.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Well.  I did not expect quite so sweeping and definitive a judgment by the UK Supreme Court.  So Parliament returns tomorrow and BoJo the Clown has been absolutely humiliatedâ€"has he won a vote on anything yet?

Meanwhile, Labour appears to have done something right: committed to a third referendum rather than committing to overturning the last one without a public vote.  It plays better alongside the narrative about Boris having acted in an anti-democratic manner.

Where they're going to come up with a credible deal to put on the ballot, I don't know, and how they're going to get it to happen in coalition with the Remain-committed LD and SNP is another good question (there's no way Corbyn gets a majority out of any upcoming election).  And on top of that are going to be the inevitable calls to once and for all come up with a single written UK constitutionâ€"another unenviable task in the current climate.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Baruch

Nope, don't think he has won a single vote!  But beware of getting what one asks for.  Usually humiliation results in violence ;-(

There have been minor wins in the courts.  It might be a good thing if the 10/31 date is missed, because it implies that the Tories are done as a party, permanently.  Assuming the MI6 assassinates the Brexit Party leadership ... that leaves the Labor and LibDem ... basically old Marxism vs new Marxism.  The written British constitution is simple ... "wir ergeben uns bedingungslos" ... "we surrender unconditionally".  The Windsors won't need a translator.

If 1/2 the population doesn't like that they can move to Australia.  The monarchy too.  The Australian press is closer to the US, whereas NZ and Canada are basically branch offices of the BBC.  If 25 million migrate to Australia, they will be better positioned to put up a resistance to the Chicoms.  Some Australians are already suggesting they get an independent nuclear deterrent.  They can simply move the GB Tridents down under ... the US won't give nukes to Germany.

Then Corbyn can be the Viceroy of the German Raj over the UK.  It is not the intent of Germany, to make German citizens out of the rest of the EU ... that would prevent the parasitism of their mercantilism.  No more than China wants to convert Japan to Chinese citizens, they want wage slaves.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mr.Obvious

Meanwhile, the EU is demanding a solid alternative or way to go to be presented by the end of September, by the UK, or they say 'the game is up'. Mere flexing? Maybe. I honestly don't know.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Baruch

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on September 24, 2019, 11:37:56 AM
Meanwhile, the EU is demanding a solid alternative or way to go to be presented by the end of September, by the UK, or they say 'the game is up'. Mere flexing? Maybe. I honestly don't know.

There is a proposal, on paper, being firmed up.  But Tories can't release it, or Witch Finder General Corbyn will have a hissy fit all over it ;-)

So that is what will be proposed (if Boris isn't thrown out immediately) to the EU.  And then it is public, and the EU can agree or not, and Corbyn can criticize every punctuation and letter.  And EU can agree or disagree, if the proposal is good enough to extend Brexit until Jan 31, 2020.  Assuming the EU likes the proposal, and that meets the requirement for a "reasonable" reason to extend Brexit a bit longer, then that meets the existing demands of Parliament.  What can Corbyn do then?  I do hope that Queens Speech does happen pretty soon.  Preferably that and General Election, before 10/31.

PS - "Leak documents show Attorney General advised PM that suspension was 'lawful'" ... see, see!  Think the British AG needs to find a new job!

Remainer Parliament gets 5/6 more days to bollocks about.  Still within the Fixed Term law, that Corbyn could become a minority PM in place of the existing minority PM.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkPNfR3Z5Yo

With GB losing military capability to the EU, then NATO is dead, so is the Special Relationship.  GB becomes a joint enemy of the US, along with the rest of the EU.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Review of the judicial result etc ...

We have seen this year, two fundamental changes in the unwritten British constitution, without what the US would consider normal procedure ...

1. Bercow on two occasions, by letting open intervention by the Opposition, changed British procedural law vis-a-vis Parliament, without a vote of Parliament

2. The Supreme Court, acted just today, to make what is in effect, a constitutional amendment, changing the relationship between the three powers (legislative, executive and judicial).  The judicial branch is now much more powerful.

Of course in US political history, proper amendment of procedural law, or constitutional law, has happened as a fait accompli.  Even though we have written low governing how that is done.  Most recently the Election 2000 decision by the US Supreme Court.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

trdsf

I don't think end of September is going to be realistic.  Even the most punchable face in British politics, Nigel Farage, is saying it was a disastrous decision and Boris should stand down and that Brexit on 31 October is now impossible.

Hey, Boris, quick note: when even a serious nutjob like Farage is making more sense than you are, it's probably time to bail out.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Baruch

Quote from: trdsf on September 24, 2019, 06:34:09 PM
I don't think end of September is going to be realistic.  Even the most punchable face in British politics, Nigel Farage, is saying it was a disastrous decision and Boris should stand down and that Brexit on 31 October is now impossible.

Hey, Boris, quick note: when even a serious nutjob like Farage is making more sense than you are, it's probably time to bail out.

Communists do no wrong?  Such a 1960s slogan.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Hydra009

They're probably just getting as tired with the almost leaving as we all are.