So It Seems That Brexit Has Become a Category 5 Shitstorm

Started by Minimalist, December 13, 2018, 07:21:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on September 16, 2019, 07:06:27 PMThe truetrump card of Holland over Belgium lies in its diverse scenery, however, it has small islands, it has more green, you have different kinds of beaches,... And to boot a safari-zoo and the most magical amusement park: Efteling.

It's like Disneyland meets Black Sabbath.  😍

Baruch

Tulip time in Netherlands?  I would expect the food to be good.  Why is Belgium better than Netherlands, other than beer?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Baruch on September 16, 2019, 08:00:17 PM
Tulip time in Netherlands?  I would expect the food to be good.  Why is Belgium better than Netherlands, other than beer?

Other?

LOL, no. For what I just said. Not it's beaches. But the Ardennes are immensely lovely. More nice looking cities and cuisine, but no potsmoking capitol.
Also, belgian people are less outgoing. More reserved. So depends on what you ant to do with your holiday. You want to party? Go to Amsterdam. You want a sightseeing citytrip with lots of r and r? Go to Flanders. Can you do o'e in the other though? Yes.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on September 16, 2019, 04:34:26 PM
Guy is flemish, as am I. Our first language is Dutch, though we call it flemish in the same way Americans might call their English as speaking 'american'.

But then so little people know how close the world came to speak Dutch instead of English and then the US, German instead of 'American'. Ahahah. E: OK, that's apparently a myth, but then Dutch part is not.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Baruch

Quote from: drunkenshoe on September 17, 2019, 03:42:42 AM
But then so little people know how close the world came to speak Dutch instead of English and then the US, German instead of 'American'. Ahahah. E: OK, that's apparently a myth, but then Dutch part is not.

The Dutch were a power until WW II (Dutch East Indies/Indonesia).  They even conquered England (William and his hated Oranges).  A few of my ancestors, way back, were Dutch in New Amsterdam.  As it is "Dollar" comes from the Dutch "Daler/Daalder" which was the financial reference in New Amsterdam (NYC).  In actual practice, pieces of eight (Eight reales/Spanish colonial) was the primary coin in the American colonies, and in the USA until 1858.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Well, I'm following the UK Supreme Court hearing on prorogation today. I have no idea which way they'll go.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Baruch

Quote from: trdsf on September 17, 2019, 09:32:17 AM
Well, I'm following the UK Supreme Court hearing on prorogation today. I have no idea which way they'll go.

It is the job of the barristers and attorneys for us not to know.

Far more boring than the House of Commons.  I expect this court room drama was not be renewed next season ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Thoughts on today's arguments.

• The government's lawyer has veered dangerously close to Richard Nixon's line in the runup to US v Nixon, when he remarked that he would follow a "definitive" Supreme Court ruling, hinting he might ignore a divided court and hide behind a dissent's reasoning. This backfired dramatically as it drove the court to seek a unanimous opinion particularly.  I can't see his non-reply to the question of what Boris would do in the event of a loss satisfying many of the justices.
  • Another point of the government's case is essentially "you shouldn't be even thinking about reviewing this", and that's also a dangerous dragon to poke.
  • The government have a much stronger case when they just stick to historical political uses of prorogation.
  • I suspect that the court's decision will hinge mainly on whether Boris' "request"(not that she had any options in the matter) to the Queen was misleading.  Absent that, and with the obvious disclaimer that I Am Not A British Constitutional Expert, and assuming the court is hesitant to get involved in a purely political matter, my expectation is that it'll require a finding that the PM acted in bad faith to rule against the government.

I plan to stay tuned.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Baruch

Remainers, will use legal means to assure EU victory.  If that doesn't work, Labor et al will implement violent revolution.  Ex PM Tony Blair (Labor) implied as much earlier this year.  Universal victory of Marxism is assured.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wummeariqA

Do politicians act in bad faith?  They all do.  Corbyn is a Communist.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

"Anti-Brexit prorogation barrister channels slavery!" ... courts deciding to allow Brexit to go forward, is the same as 19th century slavery.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Last day for Supreme court (not High Court) to be in session.  Judgement delayed until next week.  Several different judicial gambits proposed regarding role of Supreme Court in the long run.  This institution is only 10 years old ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supreme_Court_of_the_United_Kingdom
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Munch

I do wonder, if Johnson was middle eastern, but with the exact same mannerisms and personality, would you regard him as the uk trump then?

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin