So It Seems That Brexit Has Become a Category 5 Shitstorm

Started by Minimalist, December 13, 2018, 07:21:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on September 11, 2019, 06:36:06 AM
You are found out, also ...

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RamblingOldManMonologue

Well there was one time .  I was maybe 9 or 10 then.  And it was Summer.  Oh man the skeeters were fierce that year.  But we were pickin beans and that was bean-snappin time with Gramma.  She could make dumplings like you couldn't believe.  Grampa loved those beans.  He had the best toolshop in the town.  Sawdust on the floor and fancy buts dropped in there for us kids to search for...

You mean like that?

Would you believe I once wrote for Firesign Theater?  I created the "I saw her spread-eagled on the floor but I beat the eagle off" line.  But I ran out of new ideas.  Life is cruel.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 11, 2019, 07:41:27 AM
Well there was one time .  I was maybe 9 or 10 then.  And it was Summer.  Oh man the skeeters were fierce that year.  But we were pickin beans and that was bean-snappin time with Gramma.  She could make dumplings like you couldn't believe.  Grampa loved those beans.  He had the best toolshop in the town.  Sawdust on the floor and fancy buts dropped in there for us kids to search for...

You mean like that?

Would you believe I once wrote for Firesign Theater?  I created the "I saw her spread-eagled on the floor but I beat the eagle off" line.  But I ran out of new ideas.  Life is cruel.

That was funny.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Baruch

"'Prorogation is unlawful' rules Scotland's highest court" ... doest to British Supreme Court next week.   Basically the Queen is subservient to Scotland.  Time for the English to invade Scotland again.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Unbeliever

Quote from: Cavebear on September 11, 2019, 07:41:27 AM

You mean like that?

My favorite line is

“From 30 feet away she looked like a lot of class. From 10 feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from 30 feet away.”

Raymond Chandler.

:-P

God Not Found

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on September 11, 2019, 01:38:08 PM

Ha! I forgot about the lollipops.

Well, Kojak...  I never watched the show, but it was a cultural reference...

Unbeliever

Yeah, I hardly watched it at all, either, that's probably why I forgot the lollipops.
God Not Found

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on September 11, 2019, 01:50:18 PM
Yeah, I hardly watched it at all, either, that's probably why I forgot the lollipops.

Bald head, smiling guy, lollipops, that about it for me.  We watched more Gunsmoke and Bonanza...

trdsf

Quote from: Unbeliever on September 11, 2019, 01:41:43 PM

My favorite line is

“From 30 feet away she looked like a lot of class. From 10 feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from 30 feet away.”

Raymond Chandler.

:-P
My favorite is from The Thrilling Adventure Hour's "Beyond Belief" section: "She was the kind of dame they write similes about.";
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Baruch

Quote from: Baruch on September 11, 2019, 11:09:06 AM
"'Prorogation is unlawful' rules Scotland's highest court" ... doest to British Supreme Court next week.   Basically the Queen is subservient to Scotland.  Time for the English to invade Scotland again.

N Ireland court agreed with the earlier Gina Miller suit in England that the prorogation is legal.  Don't know if there is an equivalent English version of the N Irish/Scottish challenge.  All these are being appealed.  The Scottish anti-prorogation decision being appealed to the GB High Court for final review.

When the courts get involved in partisan politics, you know that the other two branches of government aren't doing their job ;-(  Review courts are designed to arbitrate abstract legal conflicts across multiple jurisdictions, not decide policy or execution of policy.  The US version is somewhat more defined vertically, but we have many more judicial jurisdictions horizontally!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Bercow at speech, but not yet out of office, reiterated that ... "Brexit can only happen by positive action of Parliament, not by inaction (no-deal)" ... even though current law says exactly that.  Further proof he is ... biased politically, contrary to the requirements of his office.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Baruch on September 13, 2019, 06:57:19 AM
Bercow at speech, but not yet out of office, reiterated that ... "Brexit can only happen by positive action of Parliament, not by inaction (no-deal)" ... even though current law says exactly that.  Further proof he is ... biased politically, contrary to the requirements of his office.

I don't think it is a problem unless he exacts his bias in his role. With a prorogued Parliament, he's currently not active as a speaker.

But yes, hard brexit can be achieved through inaction.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Baruch

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on September 13, 2019, 10:53:14 AM
I don't think it is a problem unless he exacts his bias in his role. With a prorogued Parliament, he's currently not active as a speaker.

But yes, hard brexit can be achieved through inaction.

Currently.  Lower and High court might complete review and all challenges to prorogation and Benn bill (Extend) on Tuesday.  That seems awfully fast by American standards.  There are numerous constitutional questions that could be rationalized across issues, that either defines better current law, or changes the interpretation of the law.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

"Poll: Majority Of Brits (Including A Third Of Remainers) Want Brexit Vote Respected" ... that is across all forms of Brexit (no agreement there).  The communist revolutionary cell (Labor/Lib-Dem/Green) of course deny this.  The public has a "false consciousness" and need leading by the progressive cadre.

Here is Prof. Starkey's update ... with background history (constitution from Glorious Revolution of 1688 is dead).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uUYRcFXVQ8

General background on this scholar ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8bECAHIgNQ

You can thank that giant of the London Times ... Karl Marx.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.