So It Seems That Brexit Has Become a Category 5 Shitstorm

Started by Minimalist, December 13, 2018, 07:21:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on August 28, 2019, 04:20:57 AM
Yes, Jared Diamond is a liberal, in a good way.  Informed and realistic.  Not the Himalayan master type.

Of course the magazines had great pictures and illustrations.  I miss that with Internet.  No cable TV.  I have YouTube docs for that.

Well, his connections of domesticatable (can't spell it) plants and animals with geography was something I hadn't thought of before.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

trdsf

Welp, here we go.  Boris went nuclear; of course, the monarch can't turn down the government's request without triggering a constitutional crisis.  However, granting it is probably trigger one anyway.

Good luck over there; personally, I think all Boris has done is volunteer to lose a no-confidence vote.  Next week ought to be interesting ...
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: trdsf on August 28, 2019, 12:03:09 PM
Welp, here we go.  Boris went nuclear; of course, the monarch can't turn down the government's request without triggering a constitutional crisis.  However, granting it is probably trigger one anyway.

Good luck over there; personally, I think all Boris has done is volunteer to lose a no-confidence vote.  Next week ought to be interesting ...

Verily.

Bring out the popcorn.

Don't ye be stingy with the butter!
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

trdsf

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on August 28, 2019, 03:05:43 PM
Verily.

Bring out the popcorn.

Don't ye be stingy with the butter!
Well, he's probably murdered the Scottish Conservative Party -- all but one of their MPs was newly elected in 2017, and every single constituency in Scotland voted to remain.  Word is that Ruth Davidson is resigning the party leadership tomorrow.  And he's probably done the DUP no favors because a hard Brexit almost certainly means a hard Irish border -- the DUP Leader Arlene Foster has said the terms of their agreement with the Conservatives that lets Boris be PM in the first place "would now be reviewed".

If Corbyn has enough sense to let someone else be caretaker PM, I suspect they could take out Boris on a no-confidence vote.  I think there are enough Tory rebels to do it (especially if Ken Clarke is the PM-in-waiting), and I wouldn't count on Foster and the DUP, nor Davidson and the Scottish Conservatives, to be very keen on saving Johnson's hide at this point.

That's a big if, unfortunately.  He's determined to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.  Even Ed Miliband could've out-maneuvered Boris by now (or would've long since out-maneuvered May).
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Baruch

Quote from: trdsf on August 28, 2019, 12:03:09 PM

Britain = Flaming sack of bullocks since 1919.  Not my problem, but good theater.  Best opinion is a reheated May agreement will be presented at Queen's Speech and Parliament will agree.  The reheated May agreement is BRINO …. Brexit in name only.  The EU philes will bitch, but basically got what they wanted (99% of status quo) and Brexiteers are screwed.

Unless of course, you support the Feminist coup … by Greens … Female PM, all female cabinet.  Or Marxist coup .. by Corbyn … Marxist policies domestic and foreign.

I am not an EU phile.  They are ghastly undemocratic 4th Reich, with French Vichy poodle.  Can't expect anything good from Europe, ever.  But GB has been nearly broken since 1919.  Bankrupt from WW I, and Labor = Lenin.

As y'all know.  In the US, I favor military dictatorship (think Cromwell).  I consider all R and all D as un-American.  Fit for exile to Venezuela or Somalia.  We can replace all of you with hard working Mexicans and Chinese, and be better off.

Parliament was going to have 4 weeks off for party conferences.  Boris and Queen added 4 extra days for that.  Since the Queen approved … if a Brit disagrees, I suggest Tower of London.  King Charles I was right.  Cromwell was second best system.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on August 29, 2019, 10:05:51 AM
Britain = Flaming sack of bullocks since 1919.  Not my problem, but good theater.  Best opinion is a reheated May agreement will be presented at Queen's Speech and Parliament will agree.  The reheated May agreement is BRINO …. Brexit in name only.  The EU philes will bitch, but basically got what they wanted (99% of status quo) and Brexiteers are screwed.

Unless of course, you support the Feminist coup … by Greens … Female PM, all female cabinet.  Or Marxist coup .. by Corbyn … Marxist policies domestic and foreign.

I am not an EU phile.  They are ghastly undemocratic 4th Reich, with French Vichy poodle.  Can't expect anything good from Europe, ever.  But GB has been nearly broken since 1919.  Bankrupt from WW I, and Labor = Lenin.

As y'all know.  In the US, I favor military dictatorship (think Cromwell).  I consider all R and all D as un-American.  Fit for exile to Venezuela or Somalia.  We can replace all of you with hard working Mexicans and Chinese, and be better off.

Parliament was going to have 4 weeks off for party conferences.  Boris and Queen added 4 extra days for that.  Since the Queen approved … if a Brit disagrees, I suggest Tower of London.  King Charles I was right.  Cromwell was second best system.

You crack me up.  One day you are anti-immigrants and the next day you want Mexicans and Chinese.  One day you want The Queen to run things and the next you want elections among the elite. 

Have you ever had the same idea 2 days in a row? 

Baruch

You don't read carefully.  I have always been pro immigrant.  Not pro open border.  I am exactly where you are.

In rhetoric, if we got rid of 200 million traitors in the US, we would need to backfill quickly.

When speaking of GB, that is about GB, not the US.  When I speak of the US, that is about the US, not GB.  If I were British I would go with a Cromwell, not a monarchy.  But since in 1640 they had a strong monarchy (weak monarch) … that is what you would go with, then.  Not now.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on August 31, 2019, 10:19:47 AM
You don't read carefully.  I have always been pro immigrant.  Not pro open border.  I am exactly where you are.

In rhetoric, if we got rid of 200 million traitors in the US, we would need to backfill quickly.

When speaking of GB, that is about GB, not the US.  When I speak of the US, that is about the US, not GB.  If I were British I would go with a Cromwell, not a monarchy.  But since in 1640 they had a strong monarchy (weak monarch) … that is what you would go with, then.  Not now.

If so, I apologize.  I was going on recollection, which fails sometimes.  I can SUSPECT if I went back through enough of your posts, I would find anti-immigrant statements, but that is NOT evidence in any way.  However, that was entirely improper of me to suggest.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on August 31, 2019, 11:20:25 AM
If so, I apologize.  I was going on recollection, which fails sometimes.  I can SUSPECT if I went back through enough of your posts, I would find anti-immigrant statements, but that is NOT evidence in any way.  However, that was entirely improper of me to suggest.

Context.  Reread all 35,000 of them, and what I was posting for/against.  Call back in a decade.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on August 31, 2019, 04:50:27 PM
Context.  Reread all 35,000 of them, and what I was posting for/against.  Call back in a decade.

Was it your 13,403rd post perhaps?

Mr.Obvious

Apparently Boris lost his majority?
News report was rather short on this.
Lacking time to look up articles.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Cavebear

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on September 03, 2019, 12:13:08 PM

Well, he SHOULD but this is news to me.  MY news is all Hurricane Dorian and the latest insane shooter.  24/7.

Baruch

As expected ... the Tory majority was razor thin and 70% of Parliament work for Merkel.  So a no-confidence vote likely, and then a general election.  No telling how it will work out, though either a modified PM May agreement or non-deal Brexit is most likely.  The point being, Tories have been showing increasing weakness since the 2017 general election, and Merkel is counting on her allies in Parliament to prevail.  As Boris points out, this makes PM May's negotiating position with EU impossible, and it looks like the position won't be any better under PM Johnson.  The political system there, like in the US, tends toward 51/49 partisanship.

The biggest betrayal was Corbyn/Labor.  They had promised to work with PM May, and could have gotten the May agreement passed last Spring (like that deal or not).  I can't blame Merkel, though her position is getting weaker and weaker every month too.  They want to avoid an EU recession, and are willings to screw GB, not just Greece, to get it.  On the other hand, the GB capitulation to Common Market in 75 and the EU in 92, probably makes their sovereignty unrecoverable.  Further erosion of British sovereignty, will make the "special relationship" impossible to continue.  Britain will be a "island" version of Hungary.

In the event that the Whip can purge all the "wet" Tories, and Boris can win the general election, then Brexit on 10/31 will still occur in some form.  Farage says Boris will betray the Brexit anyway, with a reworked May agreement.  If he does, then civil war may still result.  If Brexit does occur as WTO, then half of GB will move to France.  Those people can easily be replaced with Yellow Vests and other EU skeptics.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 03, 2019, 12:17:26 PM
Well, he SHOULD but this is news to me.  MY news is all Hurricane Dorian and the latest insane shooter.  24/7.

You rely on US, not British media.  You should only be getting Kardashian stuff.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

trdsf

BBC News probably has the most complete coverage.  Bracknell MP Dr Phillip Lee crossed the aisle to join the Lib Dems while Boris was lying ... sorry, speaking.

This doesn't bring his premiership ho an end, of course. He still (barely) commands a plurality, and Corbyn cannot control all 320 MPs on the opposition benches.  Best case scenario for him right now is around 300, and even without the DUP, the Conservatives have 309.  And I very much doubt that the estimated 15 Tory Brexit rebels are going to go so far as to back the formation of a Labour government, even as a caretaker.

So even without a majority, Boris remains PM.  How much the agenda stays under his control, that's the unknown right now.  But today so far can't be spun as anything less than a swift kick to his soft-and-dangly bits.