So It Seems That Brexit Has Become a Category 5 Shitstorm

Started by Minimalist, December 13, 2018, 07:21:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Both sides will magically put a rabbit out of a hat, and jointly make Welsh rabbit.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on August 27, 2019, 08:11:26 AM
Dangerous Liaisons ... movie about pre-revolutionary Paris, its sexual decadence.  Yeah, everyone was just sitting around comparing Voltaire to Rousseau.

Oh.  I'm not a big movie fan.  Takes too long and popcorn is expensive.  I'd rather read a book and graze my refrigerator.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on August 27, 2019, 10:53:36 PM
Oh.  I'm not a big movie fan.  Takes too long and popcorn is expensive.  I'd rather read a book and graze my refrigerator.

Just as well.  It made me hate the decadent Enlightenment.  Well read degenerates.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on August 28, 2019, 03:15:11 AM
Just as well.  It made me hate the decadent Enlightenment.  Well read degenerates.

Speaking of books, I cleaned house and threw away about $5,000 of books.  Useless old obsolete info.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on August 28, 2019, 03:22:20 AM
Speaking of books, I cleaned house and threw away about $5,000 of books.  Useless old obsolete info.

Yeah, need to do the same for the move.  Sobbing.  Like putting old cats to sleep.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on August 28, 2019, 03:23:43 AM
Yeah, need to do the same for the move.  Sobbing.  Like putting old cats to sleep.

Sometimes hard things are necessary.  Tossing books is hard.  But what good is a 50 year old book on astronomy?  Or a world history book from 1950?

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on August 28, 2019, 03:28:23 AM
Sometimes hard things are necessary.  Tossing books is hard.  But what good is a 50 year old book on astronomy?  Or a world history book from 1950?

Classics.  You brute you!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on August 28, 2019, 03:33:50 AM
Classics.  You brute you!

Yeah...  Et tu BRUTE and all that.  But I realized I had never referred to any of them for 25 years and they were just taking up space.  I always go online for info these days. 

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on August 28, 2019, 03:37:04 AM
Yeah...  Et tu BRUTE and all that.  But I realized I had never referred to any of them for 25 years and they were just taking up space.  I always go online for info these days.

Internet is a powerful too.  But for reading while having breakfast, a laptop will simply not do.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on August 28, 2019, 03:51:46 AM
Internet is a powerful too.  But for reading while having breakfast, a laptop will simply not do.

Breakfast?  I'm never up that early.  But I do read The Washington Post and some info mags at lunch.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on August 28, 2019, 03:56:38 AM
Breakfast?  I'm never up that early.  But I do read The Washington Post and some info mags at lunch.

Us vampires get up at the crack of dawn.  Sleep during the day.  Coffin rental is cheaper that way.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on August 28, 2019, 03:57:54 AM
Us vampires get up at the crack of dawn.  Sleep during the day.  Coffin rental is cheaper that way.

Any mags you read?

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on August 28, 2019, 03:58:50 AM
Any mags you read?

Not anymore.  Used to read Time, US News & World Report, Scientific American, National Geographic, Biblical Archeology.

Just books at every time I eat.  Reading in bed is instant sleep.  Even when I want to stay awake.

Presently reading (and had this book for years) Yoga, by Mircea Eliade.  This was his great work of youth, PhD thesis basically.  In comparative religion.  Eliade was from Romania.  Comparable to Joseph Campbell.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on August 28, 2019, 04:09:03 AM

Not anymore.  Used to read Time, US News & World Report, Scientific American, National Geographic, Biblical Archeology.

Just books at every time I eat.  Reading in bed is instant sleep.  Even when I want to stay awake.

Presently reading (and had this book for years) Yoga, by Mircea Eliade.  This was his great work of youth, PhD thesis basically.  In comparative religion.  Eliade was from Romania.  Comparable to Joseph Campbell.

I read Scientific American, National Geographic, Smithsonian, Archeology, and Wood.  At bed, I tend to re-read Dilbert, Doonesbury, Calvin&Hobbes, and Jared Diamond.  'Guns, Germs, and Steel' really changed my view of history.

Baruch

Yes, Jared Diamond is a liberal, in a good way.  Informed and realistic.  Not the Himalayan master type.

Of course the magazines had great pictures and illustrations.  I miss that with Internet.  No cable TV.  I have YouTube docs for that.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.