So It Seems That Brexit Has Become a Category 5 Shitstorm

Started by Minimalist, December 13, 2018, 07:21:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on August 24, 2019, 07:35:43 PM
Aw, thank you.  I try to have to actually have something to say when I say something... I'm sure I don't always succeed, but I do try.

I am just so monumentally disappointed with Corbyn.  I mean, just imagine, the party on the left got a leader who was himself actually on the left!

How he got there I can't imagine, because he's proven himself to be politically incompetent.  He's tried to have both sides of the Brexit debate, he completely mishandled the anti-semitism complaints against Labour, and now he's made what could (and should) have been a legitimate confidence motion on Boris look more like a power grab on his part.

And I thought American politics was fucked up... hey, Canada, it's up to you to carry the ball for democracy in the English-speaking world, northern hemisphere division.

(checks on Canada)

We're hosed.

Screwy politics seems to be widespread these days.  At one point (and probably will wonder again), I thought it was something like lead in water.  But recently, I think it is more that really stupid people are gettijg better at finding like-minded idiots. 

Maybe it used to be that only thoughtful intelligent people got connected. 

And I am reminded of a supposition I once read...  "The intelligence of the planet is a constant and the population is growing"...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on August 24, 2019, 04:46:23 PM
Well-wrenched!

Corbyn and McDonnell are old style Marxists.  I think you and trdsf would like them ;-(  No "in diapers" New Left for you!

BTW - If I posted every non BBC news about GB that I have watched for the last 8 months here, I would have another 35,000 posts.  Don't tempt me!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on August 24, 2019, 05:15:53 PM
I sometimes don't know how to reply to your excellent posts other than to agree with a LIKE.  It's hard to go on at any length when I agree.

Dorothy Byrne = BBC and SNP shill.  Pure Pravda.

"The intelligence of the planet is a constant and the population is growing" - I still agree with that one.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on August 24, 2019, 10:39:55 PM
Corbyn and McDonnell are old style Marxists.  I am you and trdsf would like them ;-(  No "in diapers" New Left for you!

BTW - If I posted every non BBC news about GB that I have watched for the last 8 months here, I would have another 35,000 posts.  Don't tempt me!

Knock yourself out...  Its not like you seem to have anything else to do in life.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on August 24, 2019, 11:11:55 PM
Knock yourself out...  Its not like you seem to have anything else to do in life.

I do.  But I type lightning fast ....
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Cavebear on August 24, 2019, 09:29:06 PM
Screwy politics seems to be widespread these days.  At one point (and probably will wonder again), I thought it was something like lead in water.  But recently, I think it is more that really stupid people are gettijg better at finding like-minded idiots. 

Maybe it used to be that only thoughtful intelligent people got connected. 

And I am reminded of a supposition I once read...  "The intelligence of the planet is a constant and the population is growing"...
First, the internet made it very easy for stupid to meet and greet stupid.  And they did.  Now social media in all its forms make it super simple for stupid to meet stupid and become more stupid.  Faux news for example.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on August 25, 2019, 01:19:35 PM
First, the internet made it very easy for stupid to meet and greet stupid.  And they did.  Now social media in all its forms make it super simple for stupid to meet stupid and become more stupid.  Faux news for example.

Yes.  Writing with alphabet democratized communication.  Must return to elite control, thru cuneiform and hieroglyphs ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Cavebear

Quote from: Mike Cl on August 25, 2019, 01:19:35 PM

It used to be that intelligent people communicated with other intelligent people in detail in thoughtful letters and stupid people just sat around in bars getting drunk and spouted nonsense that didn't travel far and was barely remembered the next morning.

Now, basically, the bars are published...

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on August 27, 2019, 12:28:46 AM
It used to be that intelligent people communicated with other intelligent people in detail in thoughtful letters and stupid people just sat around in bars getting drunk and spouted nonsense that didn't travel far and was barely remembered the next morning.

Now, basically, the bars are published...

I don't think you were around in 1760s Paris.  Neither was I.  Funny how you are nostalgic for Dangerous Liaisons.  Yes, the Internet is like an English pub, minus the stout, and magnified village idiocy.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on August 27, 2019, 02:18:11 AM
I don't think you were around in 1760s Paris.  Neither was I.  Funny how you are nostalgic for Dangerous Liaisons.  Yes, the Internet is like an English pub, minus the stout, and magnified village idiocy.

What did I ever say that made you think my ancestors were in 1760s Paris?  As far as we can tell, my earliest French ancestors came over on Champlain's 2nd voyage and my earliest English ancestors were in NE in the 1640s.  My German ancestors came over here in the late 1800s.

I don't have the slightest idea what you are refferring to as "dangerous liaisons", though I do agree about the internet spreading stupidity.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on August 27, 2019, 03:04:51 AM
What did I ever say that made you think my ancestors were in 1760s Paris?  As far as we can tell, my earliest French ancestors came over on Champlain's 2nd voyage and my earliest English ancestors were in NE in the 1640s.  My German ancestors came over here in the late 1800s.

I don't have the slightest idea what you are refferring to as "dangerous liaisons", though I do agree about the internet spreading stupidity.

Dangerous Liaisons ... movie about pre-revolutionary Paris, its sexual decadence.  Yeah, everyone was just sitting around comparing Voltaire to Rousseau.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Quote from: Cavebear on August 27, 2019, 03:04:51 AM
That'll possibly make us distant cousins in a measurable way -- my English ancestors were in Salem by 1640, so the odds of a mutual ancestor we can locate aren't bad.  My English ancestors were also *out* of Salem pretty lickety damn split during the Witch Trials; my great-n-great grandfather was summoned to sit on the jury and basically said the late 17th century equivalent of 'fuck this noise' and skipped town the night before the trials started.

The rest came over from Poland and the Ukraine in the late 1800s -- one line from the German-controlled part of partitioned Poland, so their papers were in German and therefore their surnames were spelled wrong... took me forever to sort out who was kin in my home town when I was little, some of my grandpa's siblings switched back to the original Szul and others kept Schultz.

-----

Meanwhile, back on the original subject -- it's reported the opponents of no-deal have finalized a strategy, but what it involves, they haven't mentioned yet.  I suspect that a no-confidence vote and Jeremy as caretaker have been taken off the table, in favor of Parliament simply asserting their right to control the house's agenda rather than having Boris try to pull a fast one by proroguing Parliament until after October 31 so he can shove no-deal down everyone's throat.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan