So It Seems That Brexit Has Become a Category 5 Shitstorm

Started by Minimalist, December 13, 2018, 07:21:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Economic war or military war?  Given the stripping of the British armed forces, in the long run, the British would lose the war against the EU ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWhFZJmm0_Q
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mr.Obvious

Baruch, dude, put this stuff in your own 'all I hear about this is nothing or whatever thread', would you?

Freedom of speech is great and all, but keep at least the semblance of staying on target.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Baruch

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on August 23, 2019, 01:59:21 PM
Baruch, dude, put this stuff in your own 'all I hear about this is nothing or whatever thread', would you?

Freedom of speech is great and all, but keep at least the semblance of staying on target.

Oops, done.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on August 21, 2019, 12:11:16 AM
Yes, sad.  I didn't have any direct contact with death until much later, when my father died.  My father was traumatized at 9, he and a buddy were wading in the Rio Grande, at Eagle Pass, and quicksand took his friend.  I don't think he ever got over that, and his mother, who unknown to him was his stepmother, died of breast cancer when he was about 9 too.  His natural mother had died from the c-section he was born thru.  The step mother was the nurse of his natural mother.

Personal tragedy strikes us all.  But with 7 BILLION of us, it isn't very meaningful.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on August 24, 2019, 04:22:06 AM
Personal tragedy strikes us all.  But with 7 BILLION of us, it isn't very meaningful.

So you agree with ... Stalin?

"A single death is a tragedy; a million deaths is a statistic."
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on August 24, 2019, 08:58:27 AM
So you agree with ... Stalin?

"A single death is a tragedy; a million deaths is a statistic."

In the course of human existence. "possibly".

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on August 24, 2019, 09:22:22 AM
In the course of human existence. "possibly".

So Stalin is Chronos?  Very disappointing comrade.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on August 24, 2019, 11:36:50 AM
So Stalin is Chronos?  Very disappointing comrade.

You constantly amaze me.  And not saying anything  good,

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on August 24, 2019, 11:46:51 AM
You constantly amaze me.  And not saying anything  good,

I don't require you, to say anything good.  I don't require that of myself (integrity, not hypocrisy).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

trdsf

In a desperate attempt to wrench this back on topic... wtf, Jeremy?

Yes, I think the idea of a caretaker PM upon a successful no-confidence vote dethroning Boris is a great idea to give the UK time to either negotiate a deal that can pass, or cancel Article 50 until there's some clarity as to what the public wants and what the government can actually deliver -- and hold a second referendum and a general election.  If a majority think that there should be a no-deal Brexit, then no deal it is.  If a majority feel now that they were misled by Leave last time, or never wanted to leave in the first place, then stay.  Or whatever reasonable options should go on it.

But Jeremy, you can't possibly be so politically insensible that you don't know you're anathema not only to a decent chunk of the Tories, but to a chunk of your own party -- you know, the crypto-Blairites who think they're Thatcher Lite.  If you had the wit to stand aside and let Ken Clarke or Harriet Harman be caretaker PM until a general election sorts things out, you'd probably win your no confidence vote and just might be able to cobble together a working majority in the inevitably-hung Parliament to come out of a general election.

I swear, Jeremy Corbyn, you have all the political sense and skill of a potato.  Any other politician leading Labour would be in No. 10 by now, but you're determined to snatch as much defeat as you can from the jaws of victory.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Baruch

What is fun, we don't know the future.  Put in your bets while the horses are still running.

Will we know Nov 1?  Not necessarily.  The politics of Britain, with their unwritten constitution, is as slippery as a squid without a backbone.  But much ink results.

"Macron Warns UK Could Become US Vassal State..." ... says Vichy 2.0, slave to 4th Reich, sucking up to Putin the Great.  Lets make it clear, the Francophones and Germanophones have hated the Anglophones for 1000 years now.  The UK, as Air Strip One ... is strategic to communist W Europe.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on August 24, 2019, 03:30:31 PM
In a desperate attempt to wrench this back on topic... wtf, Jeremy?

Yes, I think the idea of a caretaker PM upon a successful no-confidence vote dethroning Boris is a great idea to give the UK time to either negotiate a deal that can pass, or cancel Article 50 until there's some clarity as to what the public wants and what the government can actually deliver -- and hold a second referendum and a general election.  If a majority think that there should be a no-deal Brexit, then no deal it is.  If a majority feel now that they were misled by Leave last time, or never wanted to leave in the first place, then stay.  Or whatever reasonable options should go on it.

But Jeremy, you can't possibly be so politically insensible that you don't know you're anathema not only to a decent chunk of the Tories, but to a chunk of your own party -- you know, the crypto-Blairites who think they're Thatcher Lite.  If you had the wit to stand aside and let Ken Clarke or Harriet Harman be caretaker PM until a general election sorts things out, you'd probably win your no confidence vote and just might be able to cobble together a working majority in the inevitably-hung Parliament to come out of a general election.

I swear, Jeremy Corbyn, you have all the political sense and skill of a potato.  Any other politician leading Labour would be in No. 10 by now, but you're determined to snatch as much defeat as you can from the jaws of victory.

Well-wrenched! 

trdsf

Meanwhile, at least one British TV news chief has fucking well had it with pretty much everyone and everything.  Most interesting is her call to start actually calling politicians liars when they lie (assuming the lie can be documented), since being polite about it doesn't make it clear to the viewers that they've just been lied to.

Dorothy Byrne, head of news and current affairs at Channel Four, giving this year's MacTaggart Lecture:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XIEFKEw4co
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on August 24, 2019, 05:02:20 PM
Meanwhile, at least one British TV news chief has fucking well had it with pretty much everyone and everything.  Most interesting is her call to start actually calling politicians liars when they lie (assuming the lie can be documented), since being polite about it doesn't make it clear to the viewers that they've just been lied to.

Dorothy Byrne, head of news and current affairs at Channel Four, giving this year's MacTaggart Lecture:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XIEFKEw4co

I sometimes don't know how to reply to your excellent posts other than to agree with a LIKE.  It's hard to go on at any length when I agree. 

trdsf

Quote from: Cavebear on August 24, 2019, 05:15:53 PM
I sometimes don't know how to reply to your excellent posts other than to agree with a LIKE.  It's hard to go on at any length when I agree.
Aw, thank you.  I try to have to actually have something to say when I say something... I'm sure I don't always succeed, but I do try.

I am just so monumentally disappointed with Corbyn.  I mean, just imagine, the party on the left got a leader who was himself actually on the left!

How he got there I can't imagine, because he's proven himself to be politically incompetent.  He's tried to have both sides of the Brexit debate, he completely mishandled the anti-semitism complaints against Labour, and now he's made what could (and should) have been a legitimate confidence motion on Boris look more like a power grab on his part.

And I thought American politics was fucked up... hey, Canada, it's up to you to carry the ball for democracy in the English-speaking world, northern hemisphere division.

(checks on Canada)

We're hosed.