So It Seems That Brexit Has Become a Category 5 Shitstorm

Started by Minimalist, December 13, 2018, 07:21:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

josephpalazzo

Quote from: Baruch on August 13, 2019, 06:23:58 AM
I hope to avoid the mental decay I find among seniors here ;-(  You are the Left version of PR126.

Didn't I say in the early years, this forum had a lot of right-wing nuts. To them I was on the Left. Then came a drastic change. When the left-wing nuts took over in numbers, they took me to be on the Right. So that you see me as Left, means you are a right-wing nut.

BTW during the period of the left-wing takeover on AF, I was one of the few who would occasionally side with PR...

Now if you find me to be more critical of the Right, that's because they are in POWER. If ever the left-wing takes over the Dem party and gets into the WH, I will criticize them whenever they will be doing something silly or dangerous.

SGOS

Quote from: josephpalazzo on August 13, 2019, 07:28:41 AM
Now if you find me to be more critical of the Right, that's because they are in POWER. If ever the left-wing takes over the Dem party and gets into the WH, I will criticize them whenever they will be doing something silly or dangerous.
When the left is in power, I will defend the most crazy thing they do by citing something stupid Trump did. This should make perfect sense to at least one forum member who thinks this is a rational defense for the dumbest things possible.  Just cite something dumb the person you hate the most on the other side did, whether it's relevant or not.  If it catches on, the logical members of the forum can call it an Argumentum ad Tump, but bridge players may prefer calling it "playing the trump card," which is the name I prefer, because it's kind of clever and avoids recognizing how stupid the tactic is.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: SGOS on August 13, 2019, 08:31:06 AM
When the left is in power, I will defend the most crazy thing they do by citing something stupid Trump did. This should make perfect sense to at least one forum member who thinks this is a rational defense for the dumbest things possible.  Just cite something dumb the person you hate the most on the other side did, whether it's relevant or not.  If it catches on, the logical members of the forum can call it an Argumentum ad Tump, but bridge players may prefer calling it "playing the trump card," which is the name I prefer, because it's kind of clever and avoids recognizing how stupid the tactic is.

It's one of the major problems: people see political choices as binary - Marxism (Left) and Fascism (Right). The third choice is democracy, but democracy is not given - you won't find it anywhere in nature ;-). It has to be built against headstrong winds - both Right and Left's major strategy is to undermine democracy at every opportunity. Both want totalitarian regime.  If you believe in democracy, then you don't want either the Right or the Left to get more and more power, as once you get too far, the process is irreversible - hence totalitarianism.

Baruch

Quote from: josephpalazzo on August 13, 2019, 07:28:41 AM
Didn't I say in the early years, this forum had a lot of right-wing nuts. To them I was on the Left. Then came a drastic change. When the left-wing nuts took over in numbers, they took me to be on the Right. So that you see me as Left, means you are a right-wing nut.

BTW during the period of the left-wing takeover on AF, I was one of the few who would occasionally side with PR...

Today you are to the Left of Stalin.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on August 13, 2019, 08:31:06 AM

The Left is already attacking itself, wanting to cut off all right hands.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: josephpalazzo on August 13, 2019, 09:19:13 AM
It's one of the major problems: people see political choices as binary - Marxism (Left) and Fascism (Right). The third choice is democracy, but democracy is not given - you won't find it anywhere in nature ;-). It has to be built against headstrong winds - both Right and Left's major strategy is to undermine democracy at every opportunity. Both want totalitarian regime.  If you believe in democracy, then you don't want either the Right or the Left to get more and more power, as once you get too far, the process is irreversible - hence totalitarianism.

Unfortunately no longer true.  The only two political geniuses of the 20th century were Hitler and Stalin.  Putin is correct, Liberalism is a losing strategy.  Beta male strategy always looses to alpha male strategy.  Beta males are cucks to their own women, who would prefer alpha males if there were enough available.  Hence INCELs.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: Baruch on August 13, 2019, 10:35:32 AM
Today you are to the Left of Stalin.

I thought it would never happened - your reading skills are getting worse. According to Shirani et al I'm on the far right. I guess you didn't get the memo...

SGOS

Quote from: josephpalazzo on August 13, 2019, 09:19:13 AM
It's one of the major problems: people see political choices as binary - Marxism (Left) and Fascism (Right).
That's the way the system has evolved, and while I find fault with voters who think of politics as binary, I recognize that they are dealing with a system that forces people to think in binary terms.  I see the two parties actively engaged in reinforcing this limited view and worse, actively prohibiting the involvement of ideas outside the two party interests.  We call this democracy, and I think democracy was the original intention, but our system has evolved into a corruption of democracy.  I don't think what we actually have is a democracy, and calling it one doesn't make it so.  It's what the leadership wants, and the citizenry accepts because they are given no other option.

Baruch

Quote from: josephpalazzo on August 14, 2019, 04:24:26 AM
I thought it would never happened - your reading skills are getting worse. According to Shirani et al I'm on the far right. I guess you didn't get the memo...

He hasn't been paying attention to you then.  Shiranu is fleeing to Canada.  I wish him well.  When are you returning to Venezuela?

@SGOS - woke and moderate
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: SGOS on August 14, 2019, 07:51:47 AM
That's the way the system has evolved, and while I find fault with voters who think of politics as binary, I recognize that they are dealing with a system that forces people to think in binary terms.  I see the two parties actively engaged in reinforcing this limited view and worse, actively prohibiting the involvement of ideas outside the two party interests.  We call this democracy, and I think democracy was the original intention, but our system has evolved into a corruption of democracy.  I don't think what we actually have is a democracy, and calling it one doesn't make it so.  It's what the leadership wants, and the citizenry accepts because they are given no other option.

The FF were aware of this could take place and that it could lead to tyranny. It's why they divided power among three branches - executive, legislative and judiciary. It's also incumbent that the population is well informed and that the press be free from political retaliation. So regardless of which party is in power, Dem or Repug, the priority of everyone of us is to make sure the core of our democracy remains intact. No point of blaming who is responsible for the erosion, but we are getting close to a tipping point. And the next election could very well be that tipping point.

Baruch

Quote from: josephpalazzo on August 14, 2019, 09:40:17 AM
The FF were aware of this could take place and that it could lead to tyranny. It's why they divided power among three branches - executive, legislative and judiciary. It's also incumbent that the population is well informed and that the press be free from political retaliation. So regardless of which party is in power, Dem or Repug, the priority of everyone of us is to make sure the core of our democracy remains intact. No point of blaming who is responsible for the erosion, but we are getting close to a tipping point. And the next election could very well be that tipping point.

I wish the founders were successful.  They failed immediately with Alexander Hamilton.  Then with Aaron Burr .. and things continued to crap out until Mr Lincoln had to cut Jefferson Davis a new a-hole.  And that greatly strengthened the Federal government.  Probably necessary, but farther from the utopia of Virgina slave planters that Washington and Jefferson imagined.

The three way government structure was written up by John Locke (irrelevant in the British monarchy), who got it in turn from Aristotle, whose idea was immediately irrelevant, since he was a Macedonian toady.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: Baruch on August 14, 2019, 02:04:41 PM
I wish the founders were successful.  They failed immediately with Alexander Hamilton.  Then with Aaron Burr .. and things continued to crap out until Mr Lincoln had to cut Jefferson Davis a new a-hole.  And that greatly strengthened the Federal government.  Probably necessary, but farther from the utopia of Virgina slave planters that Washington and Jefferson imagined.

The division of power is not a guarantee - nothing is, except death. But it is the best attempt to avoid the communist/fascist tendency to a totalitarian regime. A democracy is difficult to build, and more difficult to maintain. But all of us must do our part, no matter how small.

QuoteThe three way government structure was written up by John Locke (irrelevant in the British monarchy), who got it in turn from Aristotle, whose idea was immediately irrelevant, since he was a Macedonian toady.

Irrelevant. Granted democracy is an experiment, which has failed in the past. If it fails again, it will be due to apathy and negligence - our fault, no one else to blame.

Baruch

Quote from: josephpalazzo on August 14, 2019, 02:50:43 PM
The division of power is not a guarantee - nothing is, except death. But it is the best attempt to avoid the communist/fascist tendency to a totalitarian regime. A democracy is difficult to build, and more difficult to maintain. But all of us must do our part, no matter how small.

Irrelevant. Granted democracy is an experiment, which has failed in the past. If it fails again, it will be due to apathy and negligence - our fault, no one else to blame.

Not seeking blame. Or termination of foolishness.  Not my place.  Where do I get that?  Not from natural law.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: Baruch on August 14, 2019, 07:41:56 PM
Not seeking blame. Or termination of foolishness.  Not my place.  Where do I get that?  Not from natural law.
All politics is not natural. What's your point?

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.