So It Seems That Brexit Has Become a Category 5 Shitstorm

Started by Minimalist, December 13, 2018, 07:21:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Green Bottle

God doesnt exist, but if he did id tell him to ''Fuck Off''

trdsf

I meant to follow up on the council elections in the UK last Thursday and didn't get around to it until today.

Very, very interesting.

Disastrous for the Tories, only a little worse than break-even for Labour (unfortunately for them coming off disastrous results last time around), cataclysmic for UKIP, and positively stellar for the LibDems and Greens, who ran unabashedly pro-Europe anti-Brexit campaigns.  I can't wait to see how the MEP elections go later this month.

Michael Gove, who has one of the three most punchable faces in UK politics (Farage and Rees-Mogg having the other two) is desperately trying to spin this utter devastation as a sign that they need to get on with Brexit.  Which if it were, would have meant UKIP should've had the best night of them all, and instead they were nearly wiped out.  But in Gove-world, apparently giving the pro-EU parties the best results is how Brexiteers express frustration...

I can offer a more sensible explanation: May has glued the Conservatives to a Brexit agreement that no one wants, including a significant minority of the Conservatives.  Corbyn and Labour have not offered any sort of coherent alternative one way or the other, or (even worse) have tried to have it both ways, alternately sounding like they want to offer Brexit, or they want to offer at least another referendum.  The LibDems and the Greens have at least been clear (at the national level, anyway) where they stand, especially as Brexit itself becomes more unpopular an idea (or has been made more unpopular by the incompetence of May and her revolving-door cabinet).
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Baruch

Conservatives and Labor can't allow any meaningful Brexit, they have their orders from Stazi HQ in Berlin …

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoLsEN-0thI
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

I bet Britain never actually leaves the EU.  Everyone in Europe is too frightened at the possibility.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Cavebear on May 10, 2019, 02:17:06 AM
I bet Britain never actually leaves the EU.  Everyone in Europe is too frightened at the possibility.

Everybody is trying to cover themselves so they can blame someone else for the recession and mess when and if they finally do leave.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Baruch

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on May 10, 2019, 03:47:58 AM
Everybody is trying to cover themselves so they can blame someone else for the recession and mess when and if they finally do leave.

Not just GB.  Catalonia, Italy, Greece, Poland, Hungary.  France may only want to replace Macron, not the EU.  The French love their subsidy from Berlin.

Brexit, on the ground with an average Tommy (he held a local council seat, until last week's election).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOoyqDsB4u0
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

So you really think it is right to silence dissent, because you are correct enough to demand ... that the ends justify the means?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0odnxxwbb5s
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on May 10, 2019, 03:47:58 AM

It is POLITICS?  Gasp...

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on May 16, 2019, 09:21:42 AM
It is POLITICS?  Gasp...

Political-economics .. hence inevitable recession and blame fest ... except when MORE WAR.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on May 16, 2019, 10:18:43 AM
Political-economics .. hence inevitable recession and blame fest ... except when MORE WAR.

Any particular war in mind?

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on May 16, 2019, 03:26:09 PM
Any particular war in mind?

We have several proxy wars now (Syria, Libya, Ukraine, Yemen), how about adding Iran and Venezuela ... everyone wants in on this scam (Maj Gen Smedley D. Butler).

Defense isn't a scam, except by abuse of contract (see definition of "shoddy").  The point of defense is to avoid unnecessary wars.  And we hope that none are necessary.  You don't want a War Dept.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Green Bottle

God doesnt exist, but if he did id tell him to ''Fuck Off''

Baruch

I do understand what PM May was attempting to do.  Straddle a fence, and doing it badly.  I hope she enjoys her up coming early retirement.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Minimalist

Yes, B.  As some wag once noted a guy who tries to stay in the middle gets shot at by both sides.
The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

Baruch

Quote from: Minimalist on May 18, 2019, 11:34:07 AM
Yes, B.  As some wag once noted a guy who tries to stay in the middle gets shot at by both sides.

Remember, if you are in no-mans-land between Tory and Labor, you get hit by friendly fire from both sides ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.