So It Seems That Brexit Has Become a Category 5 Shitstorm

Started by Minimalist, December 13, 2018, 07:21:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Green Bottle

God doesnt exist, but if he did id tell him to ''Fuck Off''

Cavebear

I sometimes wonder how this whole "Brexit" idea happened.  It makes little sense.  But we have Trump, so I guess all moronic things are possible...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on April 07, 2019, 05:28:34 AM
I sometimes wonder how this whole "Brexit" idea happened.  It makes little sense.  But we have Trump, so I guess all moronic things are possible...

Summary ... last GB PM ... Cameron, thought he would be clever, to put out a plebiscite on Scottish Independence and on GB leaving the EU.  Greece tried the same thing.  With those as bait for the proponents of each (and proponents have been going on and on for decades), a vote for Scotland to stay in GB and GB to stay in the EU would neuter the proponents of each.  It was a stupid move, to shore up Cameron's reputation as a political genius, not!  I personally oppose plebiscites as a method, even the referendums that happen in US states.  So Cameron squeaked by on the Scottish Independence vote, and failed by a nose on the Brexit vote.  Oops!  In Greece, the PM there simply ignored the result of the plebiscite (leave EU) and sacked his finance minister (Varoufakis).

And with Scottish politicians (along with most London residents) determined to stay in the EU, the success of the Leavers caused the whole Scottish Independence thing to come back ... along with N Ireland (reunification with R of Ireland) and Wales Independence.  Wales hasn't been independent for over 400 years.  PM Cameron immediately resigned (but PM May hasn't done the same even though her "deal" has mostly been rejected).  It is a Trump thing, in that it is rural places and small towns that want to leave the EU ... just as only "flyover country" aka not E or W urban coastline, support Trump.  For now, conspiracy theories rage.  Namely that PM May has repeatedly said even a "no deal" Brexit would be allowed, and Parliament has said the same thing, and the General Election of 2017 said the same thing.

But now that they have the gun to their heads, the PM and Parliament, don't agree on the "leave" treaty that the PM negotiated, and went back on all their promises, in law, to leave the EU on March 29.  They changed the law, and keep changing it, to make it legal to not "no deal" Brexit.  This could go on forever if the EU allows it.  PM May already got one extension, now she wants a further one ... but the EU and Parliament have to agree (but don't have to).  Since her current "Brexit deal" hasn't been approved, the current law says that "no deal" Brexit happens in 6 more days (April 12).  Wrangling continues this week, and a final emergency summit of the EU happens on April 10.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on April 07, 2019, 09:27:41 AM
Summary ... last GB PM ... Cameron, thought he would be clever, to put out a plebiscite on Scottish Independence and on GB leaving the EU.  Greece tried the same thing.  With those as bait for the proponents of each (and proponents have been going on and on for decades), a vote for Scotland to stay in GB and GB to stay in the EU would neuter the proponents of each.  It was a stupid move, to shore up Cameron's reputation as a political genius, not!  I personally oppose plebiscites as a method, even the referendums that happen in US states.  So Cameron squeaked by on the Scottish Independence vote, and failed by a nose on the Brexit vote.  Oops!  In Greece, the PM there simply ignored the result of the plebiscite (leave EU) and sacked his finance minister (Varoufakis).

And with Scottish politicians (along with most London residents) determined to stay in the EU, the success of the Leavers caused the whole Scottish Independence thing to come back ... along with N Ireland (reunification with R of Ireland) and Wales Independence.  Wales hasn't been independent for over 400 years.  PM Cameron immediately resigned (but PM May hasn't done the same even though her "deal" has mostly been rejected).  It is a Trump thing, in that it is rural places and small towns that want to leave the EU ... just as only "flyover country" aka not E or W urban coastline, support Trump.  For now, conspiracy theories rage.  Namely that PM May has repeatedly said even a "no deal" Brexit would be allowed, and Parliament has said the same thing, and the General Election of 2017 said the same thing.

But now that they have the gun to their heads, the PM and Parliament, don't agree on the "leave" treaty that the PM negotiated, and went back on all their promises, in law, to leave the EU on March 29.  They changed the law, and keep changing it, to make it legal to not "no deal" Brexit.  This could go on forever if the EU allows it.  PM May already got one extension, now she wants a further one ... but the EU and Parliament have to agree (but don't have to).  Since her current "Brexit deal" hasn't been approved, the current law says that "no deal" Brexit happens in 6 more days (April 12).  Wrangling continues this week, and a final emergency summit of the EU happens on April 10.

A better summary than I could.  Tips Hat!

Baruch

I tried to keep out the conspiracy theory, and the story isn't over until it is over.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on April 07, 2019, 11:59:37 AM
I tried to keep out the conspiracy theory, and the story isn't over until it is over.

Wise avoidance about the conspiracy theories; they are seldom right. 

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on April 07, 2019, 12:07:24 PM
Wise avoidance about the conspiracy theories; they are seldom right.

Until they come out as the Pentagon Papers ;-(  May LBJ and Westmorland rot.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on April 07, 2019, 12:16:38 PM

Well, they probably are.  Unless embalmed...  Have you ever watched 'Life After People'?

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on April 07, 2019, 02:22:01 PM
Well, they probably are.  Unless embalmed...  Have you ever watched 'Life After People'?

Heard of it.  As a humanist, it would depress me.  Though I support properly conserved natural environments (see Teddy Roosevelt).  Unfortunately humans want to exploit every square inch of the planet.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mr.Obvious

"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Minimalist

Quote from: Baruch on April 07, 2019, 12:16:38 PM

Don't forget that Nixon conspired with S. Vietnam to sabotage the Paris Peace talks to win the 1968 election. 
The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

Unbeliever

Quote from: Minimalist on April 09, 2019, 06:43:25 PM

Don't forget that Nixon conspired with S. Vietnam to sabotage the Paris Peace talks to win the 1968 election. 
And Ronald Reagan conspired with Iran to hold the hostages until after he was elected. Damned Republicans know they can't win an election without cheating.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Mr.Obvious

Who thinks there will be another delay passed today? I do.
Starting to show our incompetence next to that of the house of commons.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

trdsf

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on April 07, 2019, 05:41:21 PM
https://youtu.be/i9EQN-6v43I
Bercow has been fascinating to watch through the last several months, especially in the last month or two.  I don't know exactly how I feel about him, but he's definitely been fascinating to watch.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan