So It Seems That Brexit Has Become a Category 5 Shitstorm

Started by Minimalist, December 13, 2018, 07:21:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Wait, this is the SECOND time you've agreed with me today.  Is this part of a plot or something?

Or did you lose a bet?
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on March 07, 2019, 05:06:21 PM
Wait, this is the SECOND time you've agreed with me today.  Is this part of a plot or something?

Or did you lose a bet?

The conspiratorial mind often projects onto others its own ways.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Minimalist

I'm in Arizona.  We don't do DST here.  So part of the year we are two hours behind the East Coast and the rest we are 3 hours behind. 

But at least we never change any clocks.
The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

Mr.Obvious

"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Mr.Obvious

At least it's not temptation island.

It's not much, but at least it's not rock bottom.

SoldierofFortune

Quote from: Unbeliever on March 12, 2019, 05:39:12 PM
The whole world has become a reality show.

You are so right. That the whole world has become a reality show, is especially seen in the political arena. Puppet politicians who are in service of their masters had better do politics on behalf of their masters who are directing them and who brought them to their present political status...

Unfortunately the reality is this.

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on March 12, 2019, 05:52:41 PM
At least it's not temptation island.

It's not much, but at least it's not rock bottom.

Wait until GB nukes Brussels, because they don't like your sprouts anymore ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Baruch on March 12, 2019, 06:58:38 PM
Wait until GB nukes Brussels, because they don't like your sprouts anymore ;-)

But then all THE beer they'd have left is Guinness. Surely they can't be that daft.
I mean, i know: 'brexit' and all. But still.

Baruch

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on March 12, 2019, 07:28:13 PM
But then all THE beer they'd have left is Guinness. Surely they can't be that daft.
I mean, i know: 'brexit' and all. But still.

Do Belgians drink their beer cold, or warm like the Brits?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mr.Obvious

Baruch

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on March 13, 2019, 01:17:10 AM
Cold, preferably

Redeemed then ;-)  I can't see drinking beer much, but especially not cold.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

trdsf

I find it astonishing that May hasn't been ousted à la Maggie by now... except that I can't imagine anyone would want to have to try to clean up the mess right now, and the three Conservative factions (hard/soft/no Brexit) certainly can't possibly agree on a new leader under current conditions.  That's probably the only thing keeping her in power: there's no one else for the party to coalesce around, not Boris, not Gove, not really anybody.  May continues to be PM and leader of the Tories because there's no Plan B.

And I can't imagine why Corbyn is calling for a general election considering the shambles his party is in.  Any general election is going to almost certainly lead to another hung parliament, and Bob only knows what kind of cobbled together coalition would emerge from that.  I can't imagine the Conservatives gaining seats, but neither can I imagine Labour gaining enough for a majority.  What'd probably come out of that is some sort of Labour/LibDem/SNP chimera which on the plus side would probably mean a(nother) referendum on the real Brexit (as opposed to the unicorn promised by Leave), and maybe another Scottish independence referendum, but as much as I wish Corbyn had his shit together, he doesn't.  Once Brexit is dealt with one way or another, I can't see his premiership being much less shambolic than May's.

Funny thing is even so... I'd trade the Orange Disaster Area and his cadre of mindless minions for that.  :D
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Baruch

Quote from: trdsf on March 14, 2019, 12:19:54 AM
I find it astonishing that May hasn't been ousted à la Maggie by now... except that I can't imagine anyone would want to have to try to clean up the mess right now, and the three Conservative factions (hard/soft/no Brexit) certainly can't possibly agree on a new leader under current conditions.  That's probably the only thing keeping her in power: there's no one else for the party to coalesce around, not Boris, not Gove, not really anybody.  May continues to be PM and leader of the Tories because there's no Plan B.

And I can't imagine why Corbyn is calling for a general election considering the shambles his party is in.  Any general election is going to almost certainly lead to another hung parliament, and Bob only knows what kind of cobbled together coalition would emerge from that.  I can't imagine the Conservatives gaining seats, but neither can I imagine Labour gaining enough for a majority.  What'd probably come out of that is some sort of Labour/LibDem/SNP chimera which on the plus side would probably mean a(nother) referendum on the real Brexit (as opposed to the unicorn promised by Leave), and maybe another Scottish independence referendum, but as much as I wish Corbyn had his shit together, he doesn't.  Once Brexit is dealt with one way or another, I can't see his premiership being much less shambolic than May's.

Funny thing is even so... I'd trade the Orange Disaster Area and his cadre of mindless minions for that.  :D

They can't oust her legally.  When they failed at a no-confidence vote in January, she is protected from ouster, by Parliament, for 12 months, a kind of timeout.  That is part of the political reform PM Cameron introduced ... that and no other event happening, they don't have to call for an general election for 5 years (after 2017) either.  Other failing PMs have simply resigned, as Cameron did.  But this is part of Chancellor Merkel's plan.  PM May is a zombie PM, and they knew it, when they deliberately failed the no-confidence vote in January.

I like British politics better than the US kind too, but Cameron's changes have ruined that.  Under the old rules, the leading party could toss out the PM at any time for any reason.  Americans don't realize that Churchill wasn't elected PM, until 1951.  His original term, during WW II, was a party appointment, the public had nothing to do with it.  And the Tories nearly tossed him back out after only a few weeks in office, that first time (see Darkest Hour).

GB should simply vote to double down as a German slave state at this point.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.