So It Seems That Brexit Has Become a Category 5 Shitstorm

Started by Minimalist, December 13, 2018, 07:21:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trdsf

Quote from: Cavebear on January 12, 2019, 11:56:38 AM
That's because few Popes were actually "great" and they may have over-named them by 2.  LOL!

I might allow Alexander, Gengis Khan, and Iuliis Caisar though.
Four, actually: Leo I, Gregory I, Nicholas I and John Paul II is often referred to as 'John Paul the Great' by the faithful.  As it turns out, there isn't an official process for determining "greatness".  In theory, it's by "universal acclamation".  However, a little media manipulation by the Vatican can't be ruled out.  In any case, there are already at least two John Paul the Great high schools, and one university.

I well remember the day in 1978 when classes at my high school stopped so we could watch the 'Habemus papam' on TV; in Toledo, with its large Polish population, you can probably imagine the cheer that went up at St Francis when it was announced the Pope was Polish.

It took less than a minute for the first joke about Communion bread and wine being replaced with kielbasa and beer.  XD
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Minimalist

I think "Great" popes are the ones who do the best job covering up the Pervert Priest scandal.  Not many great ones lately.
The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

Hydra009

Quote from: trdsf on January 13, 2019, 07:38:25 AMAs it turns out, there isn't an official process for determining "greatness".  In theory, it's by "universal acclamation".
AFAIK, "the Great" is usually indicative of absolute political power - anyone who is called Great is done so primarily because no one can dispute it and live.

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on January 14, 2019, 10:57:46 AM
AFAIK, "the Great" is usually indicative of absolute political power - anyone who is called Great is done so primarily because no one can dispute it and live.

Yes, Opus Dei death squads, particularly albinos, are very scary.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Quote from: Hydra009 on January 14, 2019, 10:57:46 AM
As best I can recall, it was the day of the funeral that it was reported that the Vatican was claiming there were public calls to have JP2 called 'the Great'.  Which sounded to me an awful lot like the way Faux News uses 'Some say...' as a cover to pretend they're only reporting, rather than pushing their agenda.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Hydra009

Quote from: trdsf on January 14, 2019, 03:49:17 PM
As best I can recall, it was the day of the funeral that it was reported that the Vatican was claiming there were public calls to have JP2 called 'the Great'.  Which sounded to me an awful lot like the way Faux News uses 'Some say...' as a cover to pretend they're only reporting, rather than pushing their agenda.
That's actually kinda clever.  When a big organization like the Catholic church claims there's a public hubbub over something, the rank and file hear that and change their behavior to match, triggering it for real.  Then they can put their support behind it, claiming that they're just following the will of the people.  Then, if the "will of the people" is outnumbered by Catholics who aren't having it, the Vatican can change its mind without repercussion.  After all, it wasn't their idea.

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on January 14, 2019, 06:13:09 PM
That's actually kinda clever.  When a big organization like the Catholic church claims there's a public hubbub over something, the rank and file hear that and change their behavior to match, triggering it for real.  Then they can put their support behind it, claiming that they're just following the will of the people.  Then, if the "will of the people" is outnumbered by Catholics who aren't having it, the Vatican can change its mind without repercussion.  After all, it wasn't their idea.

Sounds just like secular politics.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Minimalist

The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

Baruch

Quote from: Minimalist on January 14, 2019, 07:42:14 PM
I don't think fucking Leo was so great, either.

I didn't know he was gay, and that you gay-laid him so long ago.  Halitosis?

Sure, Gregorian Chant (named for is reform of the hymnal) isn't 70s disco music.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mr.Obvious

Getting back onto topic.

Parliament vote on May's deal is today.

A mere formality, as it's going to get shot down, hard. I think.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Baruch

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on January 15, 2019, 05:15:50 AM
Getting back onto topic.

Parliament vote on May's deal is today.

A mere formality, as it's going to get shot down, hard. I think.

Nothing will happen.  The Austrian Illuminati have things well under control.  You will have the monarchs, Popes and PMs they tell you to have.  The people can vote all they want, but it won't matter, as Stalin said, it only matters who counts the votes, and if the vote squeaked by in the wrong direction, then force major is required.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Baruch on January 15, 2019, 05:28:57 AM
Nothing will happen.  The Austrian Illuminati have things well under control.  You will have the monarchs, Popes and PMs they tell you to have.  The people can vote all they want, but it won't matter, as Stalin said, it only matters who counts the votes, and if the vote squeaked by in the wrong direction, then force major is required.

It's funny how you often say atheists are irredeemable nihilists.

(I mean I personally am one, don't get me wrong, but I don't mind.)

Baruch

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on January 15, 2019, 06:07:29 AM
It's funny how you often say atheists are irredeemable nihilists.

(I mean I personally am one, don't get me wrong, but I don't mind.)

There are many kinds of theists (some nihilist) and equally many kinds of atheists (some nihilist).  If you aren't nihilist yet (the aging thing) then good for you.

I have to fight my tendency to political nihilism.  It doesn't touch the rest of my life.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mr.Obvious

trdsf

I didn't expect quite that shattering a defeat. I will be surprised if the no confidence vote is much closer than the existing party division -- I think May will win that vote, but she's definitely weakened. I doubt much that today's Tory rebels have any taste for either a new leadership fight or a general election; I expect most, if not all, will back the government.

I don't think there's much choice other than to extend the departure date, and I'll be surprised if she can avoid a second referendum now.