So It Seems That Brexit Has Become a Category 5 Shitstorm

Started by Minimalist, December 13, 2018, 07:21:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Munch on December 20, 2018, 05:48:11 PM
again, your siding on the eu's beliefs the uk wasn't trying to make said deals. Its just that the eu didn't like it or even meet halfway.

Actually, I'm siding on the fact that those deals haven't yet been made nor look close to being made. It's your government officials that promised they could or would be made. And if you think we're being unfair or are playing hard to get because we can't agree to an illegal soft border between ireland and north-ireland and don't allow a foreign influence free access to the single market which is exactly the source for our economic strength and our very reason for unionising, then tough luck. That's how the world works. We're never going to give you an as good a trade-deal as you would get being part of the EU. And we're always going to be your biggest trade-partner. Nor is New Zealand or the US or any other place going to give you as good a deal because you've made yourself into a smaller market, cutting your leverage in the negotiations.  And blaming businespartners for not meeting you half-way doesn't change anything in that regard. If you have more leverage, you don't meet half-way. That's pure business. And the UK can 'try' to make as many deals as they want, it's the ones that they'll end up with and they manage to close that will actually count.
It's a cold, hard and mostly poor world out there, and the UK is alienating itself from it's most important economic partners, heading for recession that will hit it harder than it will hit the UK's unified former partners. And for what? Fear of turkey joining the EU? Something that hasn't happened in the two decades since it's application? Something that doesn't seem more likely now than it did twenty years ago? Something the UK, as one of the most important members of the EU, could actuallly VETO on it's own merrit?
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

pr126

Brits who voted for Brexit think differently.

You Americans had your Independence Day from the Brits on July the 4th 1776
We want our independence Day from the EU. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nh11RYjheUY

Baruch

Quote from: pr126 on December 26, 2018, 08:42:32 AM
Brits who voted for Brexit think differently.

You Americans had your Independence Day from the Brits on July the 4th 1776
We want our independence Day from the EU. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nh11RYjheUY

You could, if EU was ruled by King Louis XIV.  Co-dependence made sure that the US wasn't completely free of Britain, and similarly Britain from the Continent.  The existence of the Empire allowed a temporary British independence from Continental affairs.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on December 26, 2018, 07:03:43 AM
Actually, I'm siding on the fact that those deals haven't yet been made nor look close to being made. It's your government officials that promised they could or would be made. And if you think we're being unfair or are playing hard to get because we can't agree to an illegal soft border between ireland and north-ireland and don't allow a foreign influence free access to the single market which is exactly the source for our economic strength and our very reason for unionising, then tough luck. That's how the world works. We're never going to give you an as good a trade-deal as you would get being part of the EU. And we're always going to be your biggest trade-partner. Nor is New Zealand or the US or any other place going to give you as good a deal because you've made yourself into a smaller market, cutting your leverage in the negotiations.  And blaming businespartners for not meeting you half-way doesn't change anything in that regard. If you have more leverage, you don't meet half-way. That's pure business. And the UK can 'try' to make as many deals as they want, it's the ones that they'll end up with and they manage to close that will actually count.
It's a cold, hard and mostly poor world out there, and the UK is alienating itself from it's most important economic partners, heading for recession that will hit it harder than it will hit the UK's unified former partners. And for what? Fear of turkey joining the EU? Something that hasn't happened in the two decades since it's application? Something that doesn't seem more likely now than it did twenty years ago? Something the UK, as one of the most important members of the EU, could actuallly VETO on it's own merrit?

The whole point of British membership in the EU (but not the British Pound) was to be a Trojan Horse against German Revanchism.  EU should be glad to be rid of Britain.  The French Poodle is more their kind of ally.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Minimalist

QuoteYeah, sorry you had to see the bad side of Southern culture.

Are you suggesting there's a good side?

The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Minimalist on December 26, 2018, 02:38:36 PM

Are you suggesting there's a good side?

You can kiss my grits ... are you a damn Yankee?

President Obama, for various reasons, didn't accomplish much.  He certainly isn't responsible for Brexit.  I don't think he is even responsible for Trump being elected, Hillary did that.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on December 26, 2018, 02:47:22 AM
Yeah, sorry you had to see the bad side of Southern culture.  As a Westerner I have mostly avoided both the South and the NE.  And escaped from California, twice.  If you were regularly visited by Mara Salvatrucha ... you wouldn't like Hispanics either.  Fortunately I stay out of bad neighborhoods.

I had to travel to all regions of the US in the course of my career.  Most areas had annoying biases.  I hated it.  You might have felt comfortable in most of those places.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on December 29, 2018, 01:22:00 PM
I had to travel to all regions of the US in the course of my career.  Most areas had annoying biases.  I hated it.  You might have felt comfortable in most of those places.

Not really.  In my world, the default position is ... "first lets kill the Jews, not the lawyers".
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on December 29, 2018, 05:06:50 PM
Not really.  In my world, the default position is ... "first lets kill the Jews, not the lawyers".

No problem with Jews.  In fact, some of my best friends...  And I know the reaction to that. But they were.  All my best friends growing up WERE Jewish,  easiest friends an atheist coukd have (given that I never met another atheist til I was 25).  They weren't evangical like you catholics and protestants, we played games and got along just fine.  Lewus and I learned chess and other board games together, and Robert and Steve and I beat the hell out of each playing tackle football on open fields.  They were routinely around my house and I in theirs.    And my best adult friend was Jewish. 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on December 29, 2018, 05:50:33 PM
No problem with Jews.  In fact, some of my best friends...  And I know the reaction to that. But they were.  All my best friends growing up WERE Jewish,  easiest friends an atheist coukd have (given that I never met another atheist til I was 25).  They weren't evangical like you catholics and protestants, we played games and got along just fine.  Lewus and I learned chess and other board games together, and Robert and Steve and I beat the hell out of each playing tackle football on open fields.  They were routinely around my house and I in theirs.    And my best adult friend was Jewish.

Cultural Jews perhaps.  Most modern Jews are secular/atheist.  They only do Jewish things because of the ethnicity.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Minimalist

Quote from: Baruch on December 26, 2018, 07:29:31 PM
You can kiss my grits ... are you a damn Yankee?

Yes, I am.  And now living out in fucking Arizona with a shitload of midwesterners who got tired of shoveling snow.
The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

Unbeliever

Hey, shoveling snow is great exercise for the upper and lower body!

But then, according to 1 Timothy 4:8, "bodily exercise profiteth little:"

So all those doctors that encourage us to get plenty of exercise are going against God's holy word!

LOL
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Minimalist

Quote from: Baruch on December 29, 2018, 07:36:31 PM
Cultural Jews perhaps.  Most modern Jews are secular/atheist.  They only do Jewish things because of the ethnicity.

Yes.  I used to have lunch with a co-worker whose mother kept a kosher kitchen.  Many was the time we'd go into a diner and he'd order Fresh Ham.  Me, being a ball-buster of course, had to ask "what would mom say?"  He would always reply, as menacingly as a 5 foot, 5 inch bald little guy could manage, "she won't know if you don't tell her."

He was one of those cultural jews of which you speak.

-- H. L. Mencken