So It Seems That Brexit Has Become a Category 5 Shitstorm

Started by Minimalist, December 13, 2018, 07:21:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Mr. Obvious,
Thank you for that.  It's helping me understand the workings of the EU and it's purposes.  I was under the impression that British concern was mostly about having no control over immigration, which most countries control (or don't control) by their own choosing.

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: SGOS on December 21, 2018, 01:07:18 PM
Mr. Obvious,
Thank you for that.  It's helping me understand the workings of the EU and it's purposes.  I was under the impression that British concern was mostly about having no control over immigration, which most countries control (or don't control) by their own choosing.

Well yes, i think wanting more control over migration is indeed one of THE most if not THE most important driving force behind brexit. I doubt it was mainly for THE curvature of bananas. :p
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on December 21, 2018, 12:59:28 PM
I've often thought about the EU as an eventual nation, with the current countries as states, although I doubt is would be so analogous as that.  And yes, joining the states under our United Union, seems to have been highly advantageous.  Although, there are some that still don't like the idea of the Union, even though they derive benefits from it.  It's like wanting to succeed but still get the free brandy and cigars, which is probably normal in many human relationships.

Yep, sounds like post Civil War US all the way!
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Minimalist

The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

Baruch

I've often thought about the EU as an eventual nation, with the current countries as states, although I doubt is would be so analogous as that.  And yes, joining the states under our United Union, seems to have been highly advantageous.  Although, there are some that still don't like the idea of the Union, even though they derive benefits from it.  It's like wanting to succeed but still get the free brandy and cigars, which is probably normal in many human relationships.

That is how federalism works in the US.  The E and W coasts make all the money (and white collar crime) while the folks in the middle grow the food to feed these fools.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Minimalist on December 20, 2018, 07:09:41 PM
Bait and Switch is a classic marketing ploy.  The Brexiteers marketed one thing and delivered a large bag of shit.

Like all of politics since 510 BCE ... Athens and Rome.  Shit hole city states.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on December 21, 2018, 07:49:45 AM
What if you viewed EU nations like US States and allowed then time to meld?  Sure you might not be Brit or French or Italian.  But there was a time here when people thought of themselves as Virginian or Massachussetian.  And it seems to have worked out well. 

We went from "These United States" to "The United States".  Really made a difference.

I am all for breaking up the US.  Should never have happened in the first place.  Long live King George III (a little late I know).  The Liberals should be treated as the new Native Americans.  Exploit them, conquer them, put them on reservations.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on December 21, 2018, 10:19:23 AM
Good reminder to trade in my remaining non-US stocks for money market accounts...  Things are so bad that both stocks AND gold are both trending down for the future...  That isn't supposed to happen.

Gold is a commodity.  All commodities are down.  Therefore ... gold is down.  So are stocks and real estate.  This is what deflation is ... decline in sale prices in most things, not just a few things.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

We all had the same language in the colonies.  Almost the same culture and religion.  And we didn't see ourselves as victims of 10,000 years of in-fighting.  That was in the future.  The Europeans are the opposite of the US ... no common language, no common culture, not common religion (other than Marxism).  So the odds are very long against the EU from the beginning.  Also we don't have the Vatican stuck in the middle of us.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Minimalist on December 21, 2018, 12:41:00 AM
Perhaps Britain should have been happy with that.

You go first (unless you prefer a German man of course).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on December 21, 2018, 01:07:18 PM
Mr. Obvious,

Schengen is a death pact.  All the immigrants should go to Belgium.  Free the rest of W Europe from the plague.  Capital cities (like Brussels) are a cancer to any political order, they grow without limit (see Mexico City).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on December 21, 2018, 03:22:53 PM
Yep, sounds like post Civil War US all the way!

100 years of anti-White Jim Crow?  Thanks.

i have new for you, the original Civil War never ended.  On to torching DC, Philly, NYC and Boston.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on December 21, 2018, 07:41:37 PM
100 years of anti-White Jim Crow?  Thanks.

i have new for you, the original Civil War never ended.  On to torching DC, Philly, NYC and Boston.

Forgive me for only reading the last of your dozen posts above.  I don't have that much time to waste.

But on this, I was discussing political union, not diehard confederate KKK practices that refused to re-enter the Union.  After all civil disruptions, there are always total ass-holes who won't re-engage. 

I got moved, as a child, from Massachusetts to Virginia in the late 50s and saw the unending insanity first-hand.  The bizarre hatred in the South of losing what was, after all, merely a political disagreement, has never left me. 

Those who will not part with a failed past define "loser" to me.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Yeah, sorry you had to see the bad side of Southern culture.  As a Westerner I have mostly avoided both the South and the NE.  And escaped from California, twice.  If you were regularly visited by Mara Salvatrucha ... you wouldn't like Hispanics either.  Fortunately I stay out of bad neighborhoods.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.