So It Seems That Brexit Has Become a Category 5 Shitstorm

Started by Minimalist, December 13, 2018, 07:21:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minimalist

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-46550264

QuoteBrexit: War breaks out in Conservative Party

Funny.  Our conservatards seem to be having a contest to see who can be the silliest fuck, too. 

The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

Minimalist

Not sure what happened here.  Can someone delete the duplicate?
The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

Baruch

Quote from: Minimalist on December 13, 2018, 07:22:57 PM
Not sure what happened here.  Can someone delete the duplicate?

Sorry, are you the original or the clone?  It matters if we delete you ;-)

With any luck, the collapse of the industrial food chain will eliminate half the useless eaters.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

The logical response to the dumb Brit decision to leave the EU would be to re-vote to stay in.  But no one ever wants to admit they were wrong, so the painful separation has to play out.  My sympathy to May...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

pr126

Quote from: Cavebear on December 18, 2018, 05:14:20 AM
The logical response to the dumb Brit decision to leave the EU would be to re-vote to stay in.  But no one ever wants to admit they were wrong, so the painful separation has to play out.  My sympathy to May...
Of course You are never wrong.

Giving up sovereingty to be ruled by faceless unaccountable burocrats from far away is not everyone’s dream.
Most of the EU countries would exit if they could.

The EU or as in the 1970s was called the EEC, set up as a trading orgnisation which then became the EU including North African “partners”.

When it was from the start as a takeover of Europe by France and Germany.
The people were not told about this.

But what is it to you, if the dumb Brits want to leave the EU?

Cavebear

Quote from: pr126 on December 18, 2018, 06:01:24 AM

Giving up sovereingty to be ruled by faceless unaccountable burocrats from far away is not everyone’s dream.

The EU or as in the 1970s was called the EEC, set up as a trading orgnisation which then became the EU including North African “partners”.

If most of the EU members wanted to leave, they could.

But it matters to me because I actually trust Britain to make sensible decisions and help other European nations to make sensible decisions.  And Britain is the US anchor to "The Rest Of The World".  So, you see, we actually care about you folks...

Without Britain, the US is mostly just a Really Big Island.  We don't speak French, we don't speak German, we speak our version of "English".  Got it?

Who ELSE are we going to talk to?  China?  Russia? 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

You are simply wrong, for being stuck in Foreign Affairs or Foreign Policy magazine articles extolling how brilliant neo-Lib ideology is.  Fighting the last war is a known tendency of the elderly.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: pr126 on December 18, 2018, 06:01:24 AM

Leaving THE EU would be an even more idiotic call for belgium than it would be to split up Flanders from THE walloons. THE borders and trade taxes alone would cripple te port of antwerp, for example. Holland would take THE cake.

Brittain leaving will also cause problems for my country and THE EU. And i don't think it's a smart call. Nor is what is happening now, i think, what the brittish people voted for back at THE referendum. But Hey, not my country. And i don't think any country Should be forced to stay. No matter how bad a call it would be to leave.
Thing is though, i don't see things working out Well. And i think if they go through and they go bad; if we look back in ten years time, those who worked towards Brexit today, won't see that mess as a result of Brexit, but in spite of Brexit.
Then again, i'm no economist. Maybe i'll be denying brittish success in ten years. I doubt it, but maybe.
THE gears are Turning. We'll see in a decade.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Baruch

There are a lot of stupid things people do, and nations.  Worst case, if the electricity goes out, Dutch vs French language will be the least of your problems.  I heard that the Yellow Jackets have migrated to additional honey traps, particularly anywhere French is spoken.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Minimalist

Hold on to your butts, Britain.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-46617152

QuoteBrexit: EU reveals no-deal plans

QuoteThe European Commission says it has started to implement its preparations for a no-deal Brexit - in case the UK crashes out of the EU without a plan.

It has announced temporary measures to try to reduce the impact, but says it cannot counter all the problems it expects.

As PM Theresa May's proposed exit plan flounders in Parliament, both sides are preparing for the worst-case situation.

-- H. L. Mencken

Baruch

The actual threat from France is fellatio, not sodomy.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on December 18, 2018, 07:28:45 PM
Nor is what is happening now, i think, what the brittish people voted for back at THE referendum.
Well, this is exactly the point. The real Brexit bears no resemblance to the Brexit that Leave said it would -- take your choice as to whether you think the Leave campaign was overoptimistic or genuinely dishonest, either way what's happening now is not the Brexit that UK voters were told would happen.

I think another referendum on the *real* Brexit is necessary. Especially now that the hundreds of millions of pounds they said would go to the NHS is known to be a lie.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Unbeliever

I think the British were sold a bill of goods and they forgot the adage "buyer beware" - and now they're stuck with what they bought.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: trdsf on December 19, 2018, 02:13:22 PM
Well, this is exactly the point. The real Brexit bears no resemblance to the Brexit that Leave said it would -- take your choice as to whether you think the Leave campaign was overoptimistic or genuinely dishonest, either way what's happening now is not the Brexit that UK voters were told would happen.

I think another referendum on the *real* Brexit is necessary. Especially now that the hundreds of millions of pounds they said would go to the NHS is known to be a lie.

I saw someone post something like this:

Person a: "anybody want a sandwich? How 'bout you? Should we get you a sandwich? Maybe a Nice BLT? We might be able to get Some maredsous, honey and nuts going on. Or maybe even chicken barbecue. You want one?"
Person b: "yeah sure."
Person a: "alright, i'll get you Some dogturds between two slices of Bread."
Person b: "wait,  i don't..."
Person a: "nah mate, you wanted a sandwich, do now you have to get one!"

All that said though. As optimistic as te majority might have been back in THE day of THE referendum, and no matter what politicians might've promised to convince them regarding immigration or whatnot; today's problems regarding borders, trade and thus economics, were pretty predictable. Honestly, and this might be skewed from my pro-EU attitude and ongoing membership: it seems like THE brittish were expecting to be able to leave THE EU while still enjoying all THE benefits a EU-membership entails. Like they thought they were so important THE EU would bend over backwards and change it'd rules just to make everything easier for THE brittish. Brexit will be a heavy blow, but they aren't THE center of THE universe.
Just how do you expect to make a better deal in trade with your most important economics partners when you decide to throw away all accords that make dealing cheaper? And even if you are able o make an as good a deal, then what's THE point? After all this time, i guess, i still don't know exactly what it was that they hoped to get out of this, that they didn't have or couldn't do before. Again, my pointed view as a european again.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on December 19, 2018, 02:18:31 PM
I think the British were sold a bill of goods and they forgot the adage "buyer beware" - and now they're stuck with what they bought.

All campaigns are lies.  All movements end in tears.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.