So It Seems That Brexit Has Become a Category 5 Shitstorm

Started by Minimalist, December 13, 2018, 07:21:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trdsf

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on November 02, 2019, 10:29:05 AM
Or a bercow plus hie, push his tummy and he says one of five sentences 'ordah', 'ordaaaaahhhhh', 'I don' t give a flying flamingo', 'my right and honorable friend' and 'order!'
You know, I might be willing to buy one of those.  :D
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Mr.Obvious

"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Baruch

Yeah.  A Laborite, disguised as a Tory.  An advocate not a neutral (as his office requires).  A person with peccadillos like Boris.  The new Speaker seems a return to tradition (aka what is English common law, but tied to that unwritten constitution of theirs).

If I were British, I wouldn't know how to vote (what was best for Britain).  As an American, I can't say I have any love for the European Coal and Steel Cartel aka EU.  Don't have any love for French or German politics.  Generally I find British politics, aside from Brexit, to be inane.

Brexit itself in any form is iffy.  I wouldn't trust politicians on either side of the Channel not to screw me.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Baruch on November 08, 2019, 10:42:00 AM
Yeah.  A Laborite, disguised as a Tory.  An advocate not a neutral (as his office requires).  A person with peccadillos like Boris.  The new Speaker seems a return to tradition (aka what is English common law, but tied to that unwritten constitution of theirs).

If I were British, I wouldn't know how to vote (what was best for Britain).  As an American, I can't say I have any love for the European Coal and Steel Cartel aka EU.  Don't have any love for French or German politics.  Generally I find British politics, aside from Brexit, to be inane.

Brexit itself in any form is iffy.  I wouldn't trust politicians on either side of the Channel not to screw me.

I wouldn't quite count him Labour, though it is quite clear Bercow has drifted more to the left over the years.
But you know, hate his style during his decade reign as the speaker, or love it; I don't think he truly tended to misuse his position in an unfair and unbalanced way. Nobody has no mind of his own. He can't be neutral as an individual. He just needed to be it as the speaker. And from my point of view, especially in such trying times, he did his best to maintain that neutrality. And by and large, succeeded.

trdsf

Like he said, his responsibility was not to the government, but to the House of Commons as a body and as an institution.  I'll definitely miss him; it should be fun when he's elevated to the peerage and takes his seat alongside Betty Boothroyd in Lords...
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Baruch

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on November 08, 2019, 07:21:48 PM
I wouldn't quite count him Labour, though it is quite clear Bercow has drifted more to the left over the years.
But you know, hate his style during his decade reign as the speaker, or love it; I don't think he truly tended to misuse his position in an unfair and unbalanced way. Nobody has no mind of his own. He can't be neutral as an individual. He just needed to be it as the speaker. And from my point of view, especially in such trying times, he did his best to maintain that neutrality. And by and large, succeeded.

He was an ideological EU Remainer, like so many other MPs.  And couldn't help himself to prevent a total victory of Nazism (Leavers).  Neutrality was less important than the complete ideological certainty of being more right than 17 million voters.  Basically politics is one totalitarianism against another (Hitler vs Stalin).  There are no real democracies, just fake elections.

Don't you believe, as almost all of humanity, that the "end justifies the means"?  The people shouldn't be allowed to vote, because they might vote wrong.  Doesn't matter to me if one is Left or Right.  Either way, the failure to reject the inner "dictator" is the death of humanity.  So many say, they would prefer a "benevolent" dictator.  A liberal dictatorship.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Baruch on November 09, 2019, 02:32:01 AM
He was an ideological EU Remainer, like so many other MPs.  And couldn't help himself to prevent a total victory of Nazism (Leavers).  Neutrality was less important than the complete ideological certainty of being more right than 17 million voters.  Basically politics is one totalitarianism against another (Hitler vs Stalin).  There are no real democracies, just fake elections.

Don't you believe, as almost all of humanity, that the "end justifies the means"?  The people shouldn't be allowed to vote, because they might vote wrong.  Doesn't matter to me if one is Left or Right.  Either way, the failure to reject the inner "dictator" is the death of humanity.  So many say, they would prefer a "benevolent" dictator.  A liberal dictatorship.

I need to check, because of the way you tend to communicate, but do you mean to imply Brexit couldn't leave because of Bercow?

Rather than the fact that there was no parliamentary majority for a multidimensional question that had basically been reduced to a 'upvote' or 'downvote' post on reddit? Rather than that leave was divided within between hard brexit, soft brexit, ... Rather than whatever the fuck the tories were doing for three years before this saga hit what we thought were going to be the final moments of brexit and try to ram the same bill through time and time again hoping for a different result, like a madman?  (Did I ever tell you the definition of insanity?) Rather than the opposition doing what they do, namely oppose, and being almost half of parliament, and after some sacking by the current PM: the majority?

Baruch

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on November 09, 2019, 03:07:10 AM
I need to check, because of the way you tend to communicate, but do you mean to imply Brexit couldn't leave because of Bercow?

Rather than the fact that there was no parliamentary majority for a multidimensional question that had basically been reduced to a 'upvote' or 'downvote' post on reddit? Rather than that leave was divided within between hard brexit, soft brexit, ... Rather than whatever the fuck the tories were doing for three years before this saga hit what we thought were going to be the final moments of brexit and try to ram the same bill through time and time again hoping for a different result, like a madman?  (Did I ever tell you the definition of insanity?) Rather than the opposition doing what they do, namely oppose, and being almost half of parliament, and after some sacking by the current PM: the majority?

PS ... Bercow also just said, Corbyn isn't anti-Semitic.  The Hell!  Corbyn supports Hamas.  So Bercow must also support the Caliphate conquest of Europe, same as Corbyn.  And that is anti-Semitic (as in anti-Jewish).  Many Arabs are Semites.  So in a way, they are also being pro-Semitic, if you forget about all the Muslims (say Pakistanis) who aren't Arabs.

So in a partisan way, Bercow is a horrible little man.  A regular troll under a bridge eating Jewish children (sarc).

No.  It is clear that all MPs, including Boris' bunch, are Remainers.  Some just are more in the closet than others.  That is to say, it isn't a Right/Left issue.  It is an Establishment vs People issue.  But don't assume I am pro-democracy.  If I were British, and a Leave means leave ... then I would be furious.  I am neither.  The original referendum was a Tory mistake, as was the Scottish referendum.  But not because I am pro-Union or pro-EU.  As I recently discussed with my daughter, in a totally non-ideological way ... the politicians are idiots.  And their idiocy can get millions killed.

Sham upon sham, including the particulars of this new GE.  But this is playing with fire.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

General election in the nick of time ... democracy is failing in UK otherwise.

New pole ... 50% of Brits favor an authoritarian government.  42% favor a military coup.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury.” -Alexander Fraser Tyler

In a democracy, the corruption of the politicians is a direct reflection of the corruption of the people.  GB is toast.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

EU wanting Article 11 and Article 13 will turn European Internet into a Belgian bureaucracy shit show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnbMukFicaw

Corbyn's plan to re-nationalize British Telecom (after Brexit) will turn British Internet into Pravda.  One channel with one message makes us strong!

Europeans who post here or read here who support the EU are dystopian.

Brits who post here or read here who support Labor are commies.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Public only owned Internet is a redo of French Minitel.  Corbyn is such a lover of failed French services.

If we understand the mechanism and motives of the group mind, it is now possible to regiment and control the masses according to our will without them knowing it.  - Edward Bernays (nephew of Freud, progenitor of Goebbles).

Nothing you think you believe, since the 1920s, is true.  It is COINTELPRO.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Judging by the performances on the Boris and Jeremy show, I think Jo Swinson won that debate... it'll be interesting to see the post-debate polls.

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.