So It Seems That Brexit Has Become a Category 5 Shitstorm

Started by Minimalist, December 13, 2018, 07:21:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pr126

Quote from: Cavebear on March 01, 2019, 09:08:06 AM
I'm looking forward to Daylight saving time in 2 weeks!

Here in the UK it is on the 31st of March when the clocks go foward one hour.

Cavebear

Quote from: pr126 on March 01, 2019, 09:21:15 AM

There is a growing movement here to just leave it on Daylight Saving Time.  I mean all time is arbitrary and it suits most of us better.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: pr126 on March 01, 2019, 09:21:15 AM

No need.  Brexit is the prior Friday, so you will all be dead on Saturday.  Nobody to clock in or out on Sunday.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

pr126

I wish they discontinued the Daylight savings. It is such a chore to reset all your clocks in the house.
Almost every appliance has a built-in clock, Oven, microwave, central heating and of course wall clocks in every room.
Unless I change them to radio controlled wall clocks.
I have one of those already. Maybe I will buy some more.

Cavebear

Quote from: pr126 on March 01, 2019, 01:32:00 PM
I wish they discontinued the Daylight savings. It is such a chore to reset all your clocks in the house.
Almost every appliance has a built-in clock, Oven, microwave, central heating and of course wall clocks in every room.

So... Stay on the new time forever...  No clock changes.  And trust me, it takes a couple hours here to make the time change.  I have clocks in every room and several in appliances.  And I always forget about the car. 

Unbeliever

I have an "atomic" alarm clock that gets an update from the Bureau of Standards' atomic clock every time the satellite passes overhead, so I never have to worry about the time. So whenever DST rolls around I get it automatically. I've had the clock for more than 10 years, though, so I don't know how much longer it will last.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on March 01, 2019, 03:22:16 PM
I have an "atomic" alarm clock that gets an update from the Bureau of Standards' atomic clock every time the satellite passes overhead, so I never have to worry about the time. So whenever DST rolls around I get it automatically. I've had the clock for more than 10 years, though, so I don't know how much longer it will last.

I have 3 clocks like that, and 1 is rather old (for a digital).  I also have several regular digital clocks and they are a bit annoying.  With analogs it is always an estimate; with digitals, they NEVER all agree, LOL!

Baruch

Quote from: pr126 on March 01, 2019, 01:32:00 PM

We should all use Greenwich time, like proper colonies of the British Empire ;-)  This became practical with the first naval chronometer ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHvt48S9l4w

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Quote from: Cavebear on March 01, 2019, 09:08:06 AM
I'm looking forward to Daylight saving time in 2 weeks!
I loathe DST.  Partly because of the time shift, mostly because I'm an astronomer and it fucks up everything.  And the vast majority of people would just look at me funny if I (quite sensibly) used Coördinated Universal Time.  And we barely spend a third of the year on our actual time zone.

Call me old fashioned, but time zone noon is when the sun is within 7.5° of its zenith and we just don't need this farting around with adding and subtracting hours.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Unbeliever

Quote from: trdsf on March 05, 2019, 07:22:58 PM
I loathe DST.  Partly because of the time shift,

What a coincidence - I'm about hallway through a movie called The Time Shifters! And I was just complaining in the comments about how many convenient coincidences there are in the movie! LOL
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Mr.Obvious

"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

I could be on DST all year.  Suits my schedule better.  More evening light means more activity for me.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on March 07, 2019, 10:38:02 AM
I could be on DST all year.  Suits my schedule better.  More evening light means more activity for me.

I happen to agree.  Only primitive farmers who only have candle light, need to follow sunup/sundown.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.