So It Seems That Brexit Has Become a Category 5 Shitstorm

Started by Minimalist, December 13, 2018, 07:18:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minimalist

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-46550264

QuoteBrexit: War breaks out in Conservative Party

Funny.  Our conservatards seem to be having a contest to see who can be the silliest fuck, too. 

The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

Unbeliever

I think the whole brexit thing was started by Putin. He's a master player on the world stage.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Shiranu

Quote from: Unbeliever on December 13, 2018, 07:21:06 PM
I think the whole brexit thing was started by Putin. He's a master player on the world stage.

I don't know if it was started by him, I think xenophobia and fear exists in the world without the need for Russian interference, but my guess is he spent considerable time and effort into making sure the machine (and all these nationalists and xenophobes who are destabilizing the West) was well oiled and fueled.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on December 13, 2018, 07:21:06 PM

Yes, I think you should get on your knees in front of him ... and thank him, in a special way?

Yes, the American Revolution was a plot by time traveling Russians.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SGOS

I understand there is conflict, that the British Government is in turmoil, and Brexit is blowing up in it's face.  But I don't know what the fight about Brexit is, other than it's about Brexit.  So who's for it an who's against it, and most of all, why are they for it or against it.  This is so typical of news these days.  It's mostly just, "Hey!  Look over here!  There's a fight."  I'm starting to think the News makers themselves, in the case the fighters, don't even care about the issues.  They're just happy to be in the news.

Get your act together Great Britain.  You're acting like a bunch of Muricans.

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Minimalist

Oh well, another day another disappointment!

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/14/world/europe/may-brexit-brussels-.html?partner=rss&emc=rss

QuoteTheresa May Finds No Joy in Brussels. Now What for Brexit?

QuoteBRUSSELS â€" Prime Minister Theresa May of Britain headed home flustered and empty-handed on Friday after a blunt exchange at a European Union summit meeting, where Mrs. May’s entreaties for help to amend a withdrawal deal that would satisfy her Parliament were rejected.

The outcome, which the British press described as a humiliation of Mrs. May, left her scrambling with no clear way forward as Britain hurtles toward its self-imposed deadline to withdraw from the European Union in less than four months.
The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

Baruch

PM May is Merkel's bitch and Macron's other mistress.  The Tories were idiots for promoting her.  Like Chamberlain she is, EU in our time.

We must await March of next year, before Britain surrenders to invincible French armies.  It happened 1000 years before, with some of my own ancestors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtGoBZ4D4_E
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

drunkenshoe

I need to ramble around this.

May be not under the particular name of Brexit, but the idea was commonly and widely discussed by people online at the beginning of 21st century; 15 years ago. I remember this clearly. That means it existed before that probably since they have entered the EU.

As we move deep in to this 'right wing' era, I realise more everyday that this is all just about money and selling and selling. I am talking about a simple logic.

90s, man,lol. When you look back to 90s, certain things are so easy to do. Traveling all round the world, sending a package to abroad an online friend. The naive years? We would talk on the phone with friends in Europe via landline just by dialing a code before the number. Getting a touristic visa was relatively easier.

Probably this doesn't mean much to Westerners. And people often mistake this change as a natural response to 9/11 or simply the explosion of islamic or any kind of terrorism all around the globe, actually just expanding Western land because it was always a problem around here in one way or another.   

If you cut the bullshit, this and that the solid differences between two worlds are so clear in my opinion. By bullshit I mean the created and marketed war between religions and civilisation...pfft. What fucking hoax. (Needlessly to say, I am not talking about any conspiracy theories or big plans by some evil families, forces...whatever. I am talking about very simple things. )

The 90s world is a time-place where people might easily mix in to each other internationally. I'm not talking about the refugee crisis. That's been going on for decades and decades. And when European media was again relatively not screwed by a certain agenda, I remember that the drought in certain areas in the Middle East region was discussed as a possible main trigger to civil wars, catastrophic life loss in masses and how that would affect Europe or the world in general.

And nature is aside, there is this question of what happens if people connect, exchange, move around the globe so easily? Because every culture, every country has some certain impressions built about the other. This is a very powerful veil that shapes every kind of politics, trade, relations...etc. But when people start to communicate with people around the world in alien cultures from the safety of their home, anonymously this has severe consequences for the usual balance in the world. The balance which was based on every culture's delusions to affirm its culture, existence, power... to hold their own together. American dream, European life...the evil Middle East, the clever, unning far east...whatever...etc.

The most obvious consequence is that what we call the Modern State cannot function smoothly, if world really gets small. Because the neccessary bullshit wouldn't work. The real religion Modern state created is nationalism; the right and It cannot fullfill its political and economical function if societies do not hold racism, xenophobia even sexism. There is this myopic understanding that nationalism has existed as tribalism in history from the 'beginning' which is frankly bullshit, because any standards that defined a unified society under belief, langauge, education, the law, army, social institutions, social life; so the culture created particular to a region are just around 200 years old and created as a result of the Modern State.

Long story short, the thing is, starting from the first millennial generations, young people do NOT swallow these bullshit stories anymore. I don't mean that they instead believe into something else, this or that. I mean they simply DON'T care. Yes, probably this apathy is also a result of recognition that it is all bullshit, but I doubt that it is conscious. It's mainly the mediums of communication; how they get informed, how they get any kind of knowledge, how they get basic needs. The medium. They are not born in to a world where mediums are, well, mediums just used to reach information/knowledge or do things. It's this construction; perception of life and world itself. So the self.  Everything is in a little box. I keep realising that form is everything and how it dictates thought and most importantly imagination. It's so powerful.

I don't know if this 'picture' is 'good' or 'bad'. My mind doesn't work that way, but it looks oddly wholesome to me. I don't know how to describe. All I know that it is about very simple things humans need in life and how they are able to provide them. Not just material stuff.

Xenophobia, racism, sexism... understanding of equality. Nothing has actually changed. It's just there's this half ass popular knowledge about everything going down to the common people, us; people actually realising what is called common sense is mostly made up things, old world created to hold masses together.

And for anyone informed about how 'popular culture' was born in the West, the creation of classes, equality; the made up war going on right now, would lose all its meaning and look ridiculous at best. 

And when looked at the front, superficially, you would think this kind of change in common perception should work as some sort of a massive enlightment, but it looks like all we get is a massive failure. I don't think that is the way it is. I think this is humans, trying to process that 'sudden' dynamic of reaching knowledge and infornation so fast, without any 'distance' to go. Because the knowledge is still in the 'book' and needs time to be accumulated; digested to be learnt. Doesn't matter how much 'solid' or 'healthy', 'correct' knowledge people reach, with the lack of distance and time for building to learn any knowledge, it is just a brick wall without mortar. Easily collapses; it's a freaking pile of bricks. And there is actually very few bricks; categories that exist.

A lot to unpack here I know. My brain stopped just right now. It's a herculean task to attempt in mother language and my English is just nowhere near enough.

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Baruch

Not bad, and actually long enough to appreciate.  Taking the big picture in, is the only way.

No, I don't think there is any hope for Britain.  The wimps should have been conquered by a virile people (Germans) in 1940, and sent to the extermination camps to protect the gene pool.  Hitler would know what real alt-Right is, and deal with the immigrants accordingly.

On the other hand, Turkey has counted on a successful Germany, since 1914 ... hmmmm.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

trdsf

When wasn't it a shitstorm?  Especially now that we've seen that almost every promise Leave made about how much money the UK would save has been shown to be anything from unrealistically optimistic to downright dishonest.  I don't see any way out other than a second referendum on the real Brexit, since the Brexit that was promised just isn't going to happen.

I mean, if you were promised the chance to be given a brand new Mercedes and $10,000 cash, and when you got there you're told no, actually you have to pay $25,000 and it's for a used Yugo instead, you'd want the opportunity to say yes or no to that deal, right?
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Baruch

Everyone makes promises/lies.  Remain or leave.  Scotland free or stay.  Why believe one liar over another.

No, just get going with nuking Berlin.  It is why the Bomb was invented in the first place.

People think to be in the EU is a free lunch.  Other people think that to leave the EU is a free lunch.  Both are losers.  Dustbin of dead civilizations.  May Islam cut all their heads off.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

It's all about Ireland hating England.  It always is.  Not that I'm Irish ( but partly) and not that I'm British (but partly, and not that I'm Scot (but partly).  And not that I'm Norman French (but partly), and not that I'm German (but partly).

My ancestors were apparently well-travelled, LOL!  In their limited way...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on December 18, 2018, 05:03:38 AM
It's all about Ireland hating England.  It always is.  Not that I'm Irish ( but partly) and not that I'm British (but partly, and not that I'm Scot (but partly).  And not that I'm Norman French (but partly), and not that I'm German (but partly).

My ancestors were apparently well-travelled, LOL!  In their limited way...

Same as mine.  This is why I like being American, I don't need any involvement with ancient feuds.  Or feudalism either.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.