Author Topic: All Hail The Second Amendment  (Read 584 times)

Re: All Hail The Second Amendment
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2018, 09:20:26 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
And fewer children.  And maybe fewer adults.  Though I wouldn't miss some...  My point is that there are only a few ways to reduce the local surplus deer population and I don't like the poison or wolf options.  But no one wants anyone killing those poor deer with a gun or crossbow either. 

Maybe they just want to spay all the does...

I say shoot them until they are scared as hell about us again...
You know, the anti-wolf people out west are making shelters for their children hide in while waiting for the school bus in the morning. They're afraid of wolves. The kids are allowed to play outside after school without any need for shelters.

You know, just bullshit.

When the last wolf was killed in Yellowstone, back in the Twenties, the park started to decline. No aspen tree grew to maturity for the next seventy years. Too many deer. When the wolves were brought back the whole park started to recover from man's stupidity.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2018, 10:36:01 AM »
Humanity always fucks things up and then fucks them up worse trying to fix them.  I suspect the problem is us.
The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2018, 11:22:52 AM »
Humanity always fucks things up and then fucks them up worse trying to fix them.  I suspect the problem is us.
Returning the wolves to Yellowstone shows that we can fix things.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Offline Baruch

« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2018, 12:49:20 PM »
If we still had wolves there wouldn't be so many deer.

And fewer children and old folks ;-)  Until recently, Finland still lost people to wolves.
πŽπŽœπŽœπŽŸπŽŒπŽ€πŽπŽŽπŽ€πŽ€πŽšπŽ€πŽŸπŽπŽœπŽœπŽŸπŽπŽ€πŽπŽ‰πŽ€πŽ€πŽšπŽ€
luu shalmaata luu balt’aata
May you be well, may you be healthy

« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2018, 01:18:23 PM »
As Pogo said, we have met the enemy, and he is us.
"Theism tells men that they are slaves of a God. Atheism assures men that they are the investigators and users of nature."
E. Haldeman-Julius

Offline Baruch

« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2018, 07:56:00 PM »
As Pogo said, we have met the enemy, and he is us.

Exactly ... not just Americans, but all of us.  Completely correct.  Obvious conclusion?  Kill them all, let G-d sort it out.
πŽπŽœπŽœπŽŸπŽŒπŽ€πŽπŽŽπŽ€πŽ€πŽšπŽ€πŽŸπŽπŽœπŽœπŽŸπŽπŽ€πŽπŽ‰πŽ€πŽ€πŽšπŽ€
luu shalmaata luu balt’aata
May you be well, may you be healthy

Offline Cavebear

« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2018, 04:09:47 AM »
You know, the anti-wolf people out west are making shelters for their children hide in while waiting for the school bus in the morning. They're afraid of wolves. The kids are allowed to play outside after school without any need for shelters.

You know, just bullshit.

When the last wolf was killed in Yellowstone, back in the Twenties, the park started to decline. No aspen tree grew to maturity for the next seventy years. Too many deer. When the wolves were brought back the whole park started to recover from man's stupidity.

In the wilds, the balance between wolves and deer or elk are good.  Too many deer, too few saplings.  Too few deer, wolves seek food elsewhere.

It is where the intersection on wolves and humans meet that the problem occurs.  I would kill the last wolf to protect a human.  All our ancestors killed off the local predators as best they could.  My namesake Ursus spelaeus went that way, and I do not regret it.

As far as the local excess deer population is concerned, they overly-exist because hunting them is too restricted.  I would be happy to find a place I could legally kill them with my crossbow.  And a few of them, wounded with an arrow sticking out their flanks would have an informative effect on the herd. 

"Hey Swamp-Walker, don't go near the houses - see what they did to Ripe-Apple-Eater"?
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2018, 05:28:04 AM »
And that's why the planet is getting fuck up now.
PZ Myers

Online Munch

« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2018, 06:00:57 AM »

As George Carlin once said, the planets fine, it's the people who are fucked.

Offline Cavebear

« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2018, 06:02:33 AM »

You didn't exactly state your opinion or any reasons for one...

Offline Cavebear

« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2018, 06:09:09 AM »
As George Carlin once said, the planets fine, it's the people who are fucked.

If you mean by "it's the people who are fucked", I agree completely.  Earth would do just fine without us.  and most species would do better.  I won't mourn the cockroaches who need our warm damp garbage dumps of apartments though.  If we disappeared, most cockroaches would too.  They would freeze.

Whales would be thrilled, fish would abound, beavers would return the plains to varied wetlands supporting all sorts of animal populations, birds would increase, etc.

Might even have saber tooth cats taking down those damned deer too...

« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2018, 07:18:35 AM »
You didn't exactly state your opinion or any reasons for one...
And?
PZ Myers

Offline Cavebear

« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2018, 07:52:26 AM »
And?

You are feeling contrary today, right.  All I asked was if you had a reason to support your opinion.  I can't discuss your opinion, it is just what is in your mind.  I CAN discuss reasons, and I also like to. 

I've been known to change my mind, given reasons...

« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2018, 08:02:33 AM »
Ok
PZ Myers

Offline Cavebear

« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2018, 08:08:03 AM »
Ok

So...  You want to talk about your reasons?  If not, I'll make a joke...  But not unless you want one to cheer you.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk