News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Four liberal defenses of Islam debunked

Started by GSOgymrat, December 10, 2018, 06:15:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GSOgymrat

I know this video is largely preaching to the choir but I think Drew makes some good points. The four defenses of Islam he addresses are:

1. Criticizing Islam is hateful or racist.

2. All the bad parts of Islam are not true Islam.

3. Bad things exist in every religion so singling out Islam is unfair.

4. You're criticizing women's rights in Islam but not asking Muslim women how they feel.

https://youtu.be/INZfPHFzFAI

Baruch

All true.  But not because of Left or Right.  Theist or Atheist.  Rationalist or Irrationalist.  Materialist or Immaterialist.  It is true because grown-ups are psychopaths.  Their cultural flavor of psychopathy varies, but not in any essential way.  People have no idea, who they are or what they are doing.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

I like the funny farm, where life is happy and gay ho ho hee hee! LOL
God Not Found

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on December 10, 2018, 07:38:48 PM
I like the funny farm, where life is happy and gay ho ho hee hee! LOL

It's Weird Al Paper-Mache.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hijiri Byakuren

I’ve never defended Islam, just the suckers raised in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Minimalist

I consider myself quite liberal and yet I've never defended islam or any of the other religions invented by the fertile minds of men.... which is all of them.

The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

Baruch

Not a true liberal ... at least in GB.  It would be strange if an atheist defended it.  But most people posting here are not just atheists ... their primary political POV is very liberal.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

pr126

That is a neo-liberal, not classical liberal. Two different POV.

GSOgymrat

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on December 12, 2018, 11:23:47 AM
I’ve never defended Islam, just the suckers raised in it.

I've defended people's right to practice their religion as long as they acknowledge separation of church and state and the right of other people to practice their own faith or no faith. The problem is there are religious people, particularly Muslims and Christians, who don't want to separate church and state and believe everyone should believe their religion. They don't trust people to make their own decisions regarding meaning and values, they want them prescribed.

Quote from: Baruch on December 12, 2018, 12:28:01 PM
Not a true liberal ... at least in GB.  It would be strange if an atheist defended it.  But most people posting here are not just atheists ... their primary political POV is very liberal.

When it comes to religion I think I'm less anti-theist than many people here. If someone's religious beliefs make them more prosocial and give them a sense of meaning and purpose, more power to them. I may not share their beliefs but allowing people the space to follow their own path is more important than me leading them down mine. As I've mentioned before, I really don't care about atheism, I care about secularism and the rights of the individual. Unfortunately Muslim majority nations don't have a good history of separating church and state and valuing freedom of religion-- that's my real issue with Islam.

pr126

In Islam religion and state are inseparable.
Because Islam is a political doctrine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ef1LCIvF6eU

Unbeliever

Christianity, when it began, was also a political doctrine, because in those days religion and politics were inseparable. It's getting to be that way again, unfortunately.
God Not Found

Mike Cl

Quote from: Minimalist on December 12, 2018, 12:18:34 PM
I consider myself quite liberal and yet I've never defended islam or any of the other religions invented by the fertile minds of men.... which is all of them.
Yes--that!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: pr126 on December 12, 2018, 12:51:58 PM
That is a neo-liberal, not classical liberal. Two different POV.

People who flunked elementary sand box ... won't notice.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.