News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Interesting Development

Started by Minimalist, December 09, 2018, 06:07:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on December 18, 2018, 02:27:14 AM
I like that.  So a quick note from history.  The Nazis at Tobruk in WWII demanded the British forces surrender.  So the Aussies raised a white flag.  And then said "Come and get it"!

LOL!

Cavebear's code name is "Deep Post".  Picking up on something from a week ago ... totally losing context.

History note ... the British at Tobruk did eventually surrender, in spite of the British having Ultra.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tobruk

The initial siege failed, but the Germans came back a second time and won.  And the British suffered their third greatest defeat of WW II, losing 80,000 men captured.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Minimalist

Quote from: Baruch on December 14, 2018, 12:33:07 PM
I take what responsibility I should, but the bulk of this mess is on G-d's hands.  Don't expect too much from stupid monkeys.

There's no god.  WE fucked this up all by ourselves.
The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

Baruch

Quote from: Minimalist on December 18, 2018, 07:33:09 PM

Because of our infinite monkey powers?  Maybe you did it all by yourself, thru the power of solipsism?  I didn't create the laws/forces of nature.  I didn't create human nature.  Those two just about sink us as a species.  I don't take responsibility for those.  You can ascribe those to random events if you wish.  In which case you should hate statistics with a passion.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Minimalist on December 18, 2018, 07:33:09 PM

Well put.  We got ourselves (and most of the rest of the world of flora and fauna) and we had better get ourselves out of it. 

It isn't going to be easy.  We are basically up to our asses in quicksand and squirming around to make it worse.  The only way out might be to grab a very thorny branch and that is going to hurt. 

My understanding of the difficulty of solving climate change is that the majority of humans seem to assume that we humans "can't" really alter the climate on our own because only a God has that power.  Yeah right.

The FACTS of the situation say that we're digging a hole and won't stop.  And did I mention that WE are digging the hole?  We better stop.  We better get out of the hole.  We better start filling it in behind us.  We better stop living on the future as if the future has endless supplies.

We BETTER start living on renewable resources, and we better get better at developing them quickly.  Because time is running out.

At some times, I have joked that "The intelligence of the planet is finite and the population is growing".  I first thought that in my 20s when the population was half what it is today.  Now, I worry that it might not be so much of a joke. 

As more people fall into poverty and illness and malnutrition as the population increases, it seems less of a joke...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Kill all the car drivers now!  Or I will have to find a safe place to cry!!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Cavebear on December 21, 2018, 03:09:20 AM
My understanding of the difficulty of solving climate change is that the majority of humans seem to assume that we humans "can't" really alter the climate on our own because only a God has that power.  Yeah right.

I've heard it said that God is in charge, and he wouldn't let the planet get too bad for humans to live on.

Then there are those who believe Jesus is coming soon (to a theater near you?) and so we needn't worry about he planet, since it's only temporary anyway. And it's not just Christians who are expecting the end of the world any day now, the Muslims also have a messiah figure who is supposed to show up real soon. I think he's called the 12th Imam. So they believe it's a waste of time and effort to try to mitigate the decline of the natural world because it won't be around long whatever we do.

[edit]
https://www.al-islam.org/articles/signs-reappearance-twelfth-imam-ajtf
[/edit]
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

True.  I wouldn't lift a finger to help Democrats or Republicans, if they were dying at my door?  Why should I help enemies?  Oh, that is a Christian virtue, not a Jewish one.  Atheists of course take care of everyone (that they don't kill in the gulag), in order to recruit for their political ideology (of whatever flavor).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on December 22, 2018, 02:08:29 PM
I've heard it said that God is in charge, and he wouldn't let the planet get too bad for humans to live on.

Then there are those who believe Jesus is coming soon (to a theater near you?) and so we needn't worry about he planet, since it's only temporary anyway. And it's not just Christians who are expecting the end of the world any day now, the Muslims also have a messiah figure who is supposed to show up real soon. I think he's called the 12th Imam. So they believe it's a waste of time and effort to try to mitigate the decline of the natural world because it won't be around long whatever we do.

Yeah, we humans CAN'T change the world, or if we can, it doesn't matter since the end of days are coming, the theists say.

So what happens the day after, when we are still here when we gasp for breath and no revelation comes?  They don't answer that.

As I am responsible for not letting my house collapse around me due to non-maintenance, so are we all responsible for not letting the planet die from our mis-management.  We created the conditions effecting it today; we better stop messing it up.

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on December 25, 2018, 11:52:41 PM
Please re-edit ;-)  I do the same thing sometimes.

Thanks, I accidentally inserted my reply inside the original quotes.  Oopsie...  I hope it is corrected now.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on December 26, 2018, 02:07:15 AM
Thanks, I accidentally inserted my reply inside the original quotes.  Oopsie...  I hope it is corrected now.

So how are you, with your spandex super-suit going to prevent negligent homicide of this planet?  Or do you just feel guilty for all the consumption, trash, offal, carbon-dioxide you are guilty of?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.