VFX Artist Reveals the True Scale of the Universe

Started by pr126, November 04, 2018, 11:20:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pr126

If The Earth was shrunk down to the size of a tennis ball, how big would the universe be?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCTuirkcRwo

Cavebear

Quote from: pr126 on November 04, 2018, 11:20:04 PM
If The Earth was shrunk down to the size of a tennis ball, how big would the universe be?

It would be about the size of the universe.  You may be confusing the size of "the universe" with the size of "the observable universe".  Those are very different.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on December 05, 2018, 04:26:54 AM
It would be about the size of the universe.  You may be confusing the size of "the universe" with the size of "the observable universe".  Those are very different.

If it is unobservable in principle, then it isn't science.  What we see, what we can eventually see, and what we can never see ... are different.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on December 05, 2018, 07:53:53 AM
If it is unobservable in principle, then it isn't science.  What we see, what we can eventually see, and what we can never see ... are different.

I think you miss my point, though I might be wrong.  We can understand, in principle, that there are parts of the universe we have not received light from, but can deduce from logic that must be there.  Inflation theory (faster than lightspeed), and all that...

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on December 09, 2018, 10:44:21 AM
I think you miss my point, though I might be wrong.  We can understand, in principle, that there are parts of the universe we have not received light from, but can deduce from logic that must be there.  Inflation theory (faster than lightspeed), and all that...

From logic, we can deduce whole systems of mathematics, that don't apply, such as Euclidean geometry.  But Popular Science has to keep the taxpayers enthralled to keep Nasa going as cover for actual military/intel space missions (that I participated in).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on December 09, 2018, 10:50:37 AM
From logic, we can deduce whole systems of mathematics, that don't apply, such as Euclidean geometry.  But Popular Science has to keep the taxpayers enthralled to keep Nasa going as cover for actual military/intel space missions (that I participated in).

You mean non-Euclidean geometry, I suspect.  But I get your point.  BTW, does Popular Science mag still exist?  It always seems 50's-ish.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on December 09, 2018, 11:11:46 AM
You mean non-Euclidean geometry, I suspect.  But I get your point.  BTW, does Popular Science mag still exist?  It always seems 50's-ish.

Yep.  Still predicting that we will get a George Jetson flying car any day now.  Haven't read it or Popular Mechanics since the last time I was in a barber shop 20 years ago.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on December 09, 2018, 11:16:59 AM
Yep.  Still predicting that we will get a George Jetson flying car any day now.  Haven't read it or Popular Mechanics since the last time I was in a barber shop 20 years ago.

Oh, now it is Popular MECHANICS!  Well, I wasn't in a barber shop for almost a year until yesterday.  Shaved my head in Feb and July?  Not a great look...  Had to smile about the barber visit.  Senior haircut discounts start at 60 and I had to show my driver's license.  I'm 68, LOL!  He thought I was 50 at best.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on December 09, 2018, 11:23:54 AM
Oh, now it is Popular MECHANICS!  Well, I wasn't in a barber shop for almost a year until yesterday.  Shaved my head in Feb and July?  Not a great look...  Had to smile about the barber visit.  Senior haircut discounts start at 60 and I had to show my driver's license.  I'm 68, LOL!  He thought I was 50 at best.

You might see both magazines in the more trendy barbershops.  Blue collar guys preferred Popular Mechanics of course.  I could never get too excited about cars and trucks.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on December 09, 2018, 11:29:54 AM
You might see both magazines in the more trendy barbershops.  Blue collar guys preferred Popular Mechanics of course.  I could never get too excited about cars and trucks.

My barber shop tends toward People magazine and Sports Illustrated.  But I go there when there is no waiting line, so I seldom worry.  As long as he does the hot shaving foam thing around my neck, I don't ask questions...