Writing Europeans Out of Their Own History

Started by pr126, December 07, 2018, 12:41:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munch

Quote from: drunkenshoe on December 08, 2018, 06:31:41 AM
I wasn't trying to be offensive. On the contrary. Usually, when I write something, you find it agressive. You either purposefully refuse to refer anything I point out in a post and tell why you think the way you do and I the way I do, or you delete your response. Either way, it is never a dialogue.

I haven't delected any responses. And I will try to have a dialogue if I think it leads to something better, not usually carry it on if it's just a back and forth not going anywhere.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Munch on December 08, 2018, 07:29:50 AM
I haven't delected any responses. And I will try to have a dialogue if I think it leads to something better, not usually carry it on if it's just a back and forth not going anywhere.

You have,lol. It's just a coincidence I saw that, not important. Really. 

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on December 08, 2018, 06:18:25 AM
I guess siding with pr on some issues means I'm now part of the borg, just so we're clear.

You are unawake!  You were born gay like most are born straight.  All straight people must become gay, all gay must become straight!  Up must be down, down must be up ... Helter Skelter.  See, the Left isn't where it is at, the Anarchists aren't Leftists, they are Nihilists.

Much get a girlfriend now!  Or be forever bourgeois!!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hijiri Byakuren

I've said it to the SJWs, and I'll say it to the Alt-Reich: If you don't like it, you don't have to fucking watch it. Normal well-adjusted people don't give a shit about this, because they understand the difference between entertainment and reality.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Munch

Quote from: Baruch on December 08, 2018, 08:40:41 AM
You are unawake!  You were born gay like most are born straight.  All straight people must become gay, all gay must become straight!  Up must be down, down must be up ... Helter Skelter.  See, the Left isn't where it is at, the Anarchists aren't Leftists, they are Nihilists.

Much get a girlfriend now!  Or be forever bourgeois!!

I had a girlfriend once, we stayed in touch for a while.

pr126

Quote from: Munch on December 08, 2018, 06:18:25 AM
I guess siding with pr on some issues means I'm now part of the borg, just so we're clear.
Not following the party line?
Room 101 is ready. O'Brien will re-educate you.
2+2 is 5. Just a friendly advice. Less pain if you answer correctly.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on December 08, 2018, 11:32:00 AM

I've said it to the SJWs, and I'll say it to the Alt-Reich: If you don't like it, you don't have to fucking watch it. Normal well-adjusted people don't give a shit about this, because they understand the difference between entertainment and reality.
Fucking. Thank you.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Munch on December 08, 2018, 05:22:18 AM
PickelledEggs, calm down and do some breathing exercise, think your reading more into something then there actually is.

The way your full cap scream texting means your offended by something you made worse in your head.

I already said, I don't care if someone in a reenactment of a person is played by someone of a different ethnicity in a play or theatre piece. I only expect them to put the effort in if its a larger production like a film or TV show.

And that goes for any historically accurate portrayal. If they made a movie of martin Luther king and had Hugh Jackman as him, I would be kinda perplexed at that choice.
you.
are.
whining.
about.
cultural appropriation.

You literally were just on liberals about this. How do you feel justified whining about this, yourself? Or do you now all of a sudden think liberals were right?

PickelledEggs

Do you seriously not see how you are contradicting yourself, from thread to thread?

Liberals can be whiny babies, but at least their consistent.

Shiranu

I actually am curious in how yall feel this compares to Scarlet Johanssen or Emma Stone playing Asian characters, or even just the fact that there is a long history in media of white-washing minority roles?

On the one hand, I feel like to be logically consistent I do actually need to disagree with what is happening in the OP... and to an extent, I do. The Joan of Arc one... not so much, since I'm guessing the actress was from Orleans... but Margret Queen of England being portrayed by someone of African descent is just objectively weird.

However on the other hand... it's a completely different dynamic with the majority white-washing minority characters. That is a position of power being used to, intentionally or not, to marginalize people who don't have the same amount of power and that's just inherently worse.

-----

If people want to get pissed off about this, fair play to them. However if you are pissed off about this and yet are either silent about white-washing in other films, or even worse criticize people who point it out when it happens, then I feel like some introspection is desperately needed. I would argue that white-washing is inherently and logically worse than what is happening in this instance, but if you are angry about this but not white-washing then it's hard not to view it at the very least being utterly hypocritical and only caring about it when it happens to people who look like you.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Munch

Quote from: PickelledEggs on December 08, 2018, 01:43:18 PM
Do you seriously not see how you are contradicting yourself, from thread to thread?

Liberals can be whiny babies, but at least their consistent.

Okay, your really going to need to provide context to this, I'm back tracking though my posts and can't find what your on about.

Do me a favour and show me up with quotes.

I mean shiranu actually seems to get the point I was making, that it can be weird choices picking someone who doesn't fit the part for the role.

Baruch

Scarlet Johanssen - anime isn't realistic.  The Japanese consider themselves White, and all other Asians as ... less.  Also whenever in animated Anime, a Westerner is drawn, I don't want any Japanese/Chinese artist to draw it ... has to be done by a White Protestant Male American artist.

Emma Stone - she was mis-caste, and people apologized.

On scifi ... aliens are triggered, none of them have gotten any work at all.  The Coneheads was Alien-washing.

Now when John Wayne portrayed Genghis Khan ... that was White-washing.  If any Japanese tried for the role, they should invade Japan all over again.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

It is pretty hard to say that the Europeans and their cast-offs the Americans, Canadians, and Australians aren't major players in the world.  Sure there are other powerful nations.  But I've noticed they tend to rise and fall quickly.

It was the Germans in the 80s, the Japanese in the 90s, the Chinese today.  Let them do their best.  A bit of competition with the "West" tends to wear them out.

Democracy stands as most overall successful...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Munch on December 07, 2018, 06:40:42 PM
Lets provide some context here since the points clearly being missed.

Yes, I can see why this seems silly, because its just an actor playing a part. Honestly in this context it doesn't bother me if someones of another skin color is playing the role of white, blond haired character in history as long as they play the part well. The only time this might bother me is in a larger scale production like a movie, where I would hope for things to be more accurate in terms of character portrayal. If they made a moving about queen Elizabeth being brown skinned I have no problem claiming it not really historically accurate. 

But lets be honest here. If they had a white girl playing the role of lets say rosa parks, or Harriet Tubman, I think its fair to say the same vitriol would be shown to them by certain far leftists, even if as your all saying 'its just acting'.

Are you talking about the 1st or the 2nd Elizabeth?
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Munch