News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Hello to All

Started by Birdy23, December 02, 2018, 02:27:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Birdy23

Hi, I am Birdy and I came here looking for intelligent discussion on theistic arguments and related topics. Been wandering in some sort of Suburban desert away from the views of other people, formulated my ideas and would like to bounce them off other people. I'm not an atheistic, but I was when I was younger so I feel I get a better understanding of the belief system surrounding atheism than most Christian or "spiritual" people do. I do consider myself Christian, however my beliefs don't line up with typical Christians, and you will find that I don't share most of those views.

Baruch

Quote from: Birdy23 on December 02, 2018, 02:27:28 PM
Hi, I am Birdy and I came here looking for intelligent discussion on theistic arguments and related topics. Been wandering in some sort of Suburban desert away from the views of other people, formulated my ideas and would like to bounce them off other people. I'm not an atheistic, but I was when I was younger so I feel I get a better understanding of the belief system surrounding atheism than most Christian or "spiritual" people do. I do consider myself Christian, however my beliefs don't line up with typical Christians, and you will find that I don't share most of those views.

Welcome.  I am a messianic Jewish fan.  I also don't fit in any particular ideology or theology.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

_Xenu_

Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

PickelledEggs

Mike Cl

Welcome, Birdy--hope you stick around for awhile.  I must tell you that you may think you know what other atheists 'believe', but I doubt it.  I don't 'believe' anything.  I don't rely on my belief nor faith to inform any of  my thoughts.  Theists 'believe' in things for they seem to shy from facts and data, and therefore have to rely on some sort of beliefs.  You have to 'believe' in god for there are no facts or data to support the existence of any such entity or force. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Unbeliever

Hi Birdy!

Atheists don't have a "belief system," we have a non-belief system. Do people who don't believe in Santa Claus have a "belief system"? We just don't believe in any gods.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Dark Lightning

Hydra009

Quote from: Birdy23 on December 02, 2018, 02:27:28 PM
Hi, I am Birdy and I came here looking for intelligent discussion
*laughs*

Just kidding.  Like people are saying, atheism is not a belief system, but a lack of belief in a deity.  Just like how people who don't believe in ghosts don't necessarily hold any other beliefsin common, same thing with people who don't believe in any gods.

You're reportedly a Christian with atypical beliefs.  We've gotten that a lot, by people whose beliefs are usually extremely typical.  Unless your beliefs are super out there - we're talking Church of Gail out there - you're probably a lot more conventional than you think.

Birdy23

Don't make assumptions about my belief system based on the fact that other Christians say the same thing.

A belief system typical of atheism is the belief in the Big Bang created by a force that does not have awareness. Naturally, that includes the belief that that is possible without a conscious force, which is a belief. Another typical belief is belief that the awareness goes away upon death, which is a belief.

It's kind of hard to shift between a belief in God and atheism without changing a whole bunch of other beliefs.

Unbeliever

OK, so what's the difference between your beliefs and those of "regular" Christians? For example, do you believe that the Bible is the "Word of God"?
God Not Found

Birdy23

I believe that much of it is fictional.

Unbeliever

I think it's all fictional, every word of it. What parts do you believe are not fictional?
God Not Found

Birdy23

The New Testament, parts of it.

This isn't a belief system I am going to debate, just an FYI sort of thing.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Birdy23 on December 02, 2018, 05:44:37 PM
Don't make assumptions about my belief system based on the fact that other Christians say the same thing.

Kind of ironic to say when you insist on lumping all atheists under one tent.  You insist on putting words in my mouth and informing me of my 'beliefs'.  If you want to come on this site and have a decent discussion don't keep telling me what I think when you know zero what I think. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Birdy23

You need to be specific in terms of what belief I assumed you had that you do not have.

In terms of relevance to this post, I don't intend to argue for Christianity ever. In my post, I clearly defined God as a conscious being who caused the universe to be created, without any other assumptions about God.