The Architects of Western Decline

Started by pr126, November 29, 2018, 01:34:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Minimalist on December 11, 2018, 11:20:48 PM
Now THOSE are fighting words!

As epistemology, if you are minimalist, then you are going to be literalist.  That seems to be ... shooting oneself in the foot.  Einstein says ... keep things as simple as possible, but no simpler.  Einstein refused to use shaving cream when he shaved ... he didn't follow his own rule.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Minimalist

I am a Minimalist in the sense of Thomas Thompson and Philip R. Davies.  IOW, the bible is of minimal use in determining "history."  I actually prefer to say that it is full of primitive shit but it is hard to make a user name out of that.
The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

Baruch

Quote from: Minimalist on December 12, 2018, 03:17:10 PM
I am a Minimalist in the sense of Thomas Thompson and Philip R. Davies.  IOW, the bible is of minimal use in determining "history."  I actually prefer to say that it is full of primitive shit but it is hard to make a user name out of that.

Of course the Bible isn't history.  Neither is Herodotus or anything else.  All history is, is political, written by winners, who would make Machiavelli blush.  Checked your "shout outs".  Biblical scholars?  Well I agree that Jesus isn't historical.  He is a composite of several failed messiahs and wishful thinking by rather gnostic Judeo-Greeks.

The Bible is old literature.  People who would burn it (or any other book), are Nazis/Stalinists.  They need to be put into the ovens of Auschwitz ... keep the books, they at least have some value.  Yeah, lake-of-fire cometh ... and its thermonuclear fire will burn hot.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Minimalist

QuoteThe Bible is old literature.

I've spent too much time arguing with assholes who think it is the word of fucking god or something.

Same goes for the koran.

Just primitive bullshit.
The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on December 12, 2018, 07:03:36 PM
Of course the Bible isn't history.  Neither is Herodotus or anything else.  All history is, is political, written by winners, who would make Machiavelli blush.  Checked your "shout outs".  Biblical scholars?  Well I agree that Jesus isn't historical.  He is a composite of several failed messiahs and wishful thinking by rather gnostic Judeo-Greeks.

The Bible is old literature.  People who would burn it (or any other book), are Nazis/Stalinists.  They need to be put into the ovens of Auschwitz ... keep the books, they at least have some value.  Yeah, lake-of-fire cometh ... and its thermonuclear fire will burn hot.

Nice to see you say that part about the bible and Herodotus not being history.  But the "need to be put into the ovens of Auschwitz" part is offensive and was unnecessary.   Cruel and vicious people may need to be killed or locked away for their lifetimes, but torture is never appropriate.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Cavebear

Quote from: Minimalist on December 12, 2018, 08:30:50 PM

I've spent too much time arguing with assholes who think it is the word of fucking god or something.

Same goes for the koran.

Just primitive bullshit.

Two thumbs up.  And a third if I had one...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on December 18, 2018, 03:16:05 AM
Nice to see you say that part about the bible and Herodotus not being history.  But the "need to be put into the ovens of Auschwitz" part is offensive and was unnecessary.   Cruel and vicious people may need to be killed or locked away for their lifetimes, but torture is never appropriate.

I agree that torture is bad.  I am just prejudiced that way, like most people.  I support the mortality of humanity, all deserve to die, one day, if only for offending entropy.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.