Have the rich and powerful lost their altruistic instincts?

Started by Greatest I am, November 27, 2018, 04:02:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Quote from: Minimalist on December 10, 2018, 12:22:48 AM
I imagine it would be a good thing to drag a few Wall Street scumbags out to Central Park and chop their heads off.  You'd only have to do a few and the rest would fall into line.  They are only brave when they can threaten to sue!

That does seem a bit excessive.  Maybe just "half-chop" off their heads.  You could even ask them which they preferred. 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on December 18, 2018, 07:41:23 PM
I call BS on your "millionaires in love" theme.  A lot like "lawyers in love".  Coal mine cave-ins happened all the time.  There is one under the football field of the college I graduated from.  The memorial to the miners whose bodies were never recovered, is just past the goal line.

We need more real Marxism, just to freshen the gene pool.

I wasn't refferring to "all" mine accidents.  If I was, I would have said so.  And I could have.  Most mine owners didn't give a damn about worker deaths. 

I was refferring only to the effects one particular mining accident had on John, Jr. It DID change his future actions.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on December 21, 2018, 02:50:46 AM
I wasn't refferring to "all" mine accidents.  If I was, I would have said so.  And I could have.  Most mine owners didn't give a damn about worker deaths. 

I was refferring only to the effects one particular mining accident had on John, Jr. It DID change his future actions.

Sorry, Google still says you are wrong.  Maybe a different tycoon, but not John D Rockefeller Sr.

You are a millionaire yourself, so not hard to see where you are coming from.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on December 21, 2018, 08:39:53 PM
Sorry, Google still says you are wrong.  Maybe a different tycoon, but not John D Rockefeller Sr.

You are a millionaire yourself, so not hard to see where you are coming from.

I said John JR!  Try to read better.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on December 25, 2018, 11:03:39 PM
I said John JR!  Try to read better.

OK.  Didn't realize there were two of them.  But is such philanthropy real, or just a tax dodge (as I see the Clinton Foundation)?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on December 25, 2018, 11:48:28 PM
OK.  Didn't realize there were two of them.  But is such philanthropy real, or just a tax dodge (as I see the Clinton Foundation)?

As I said, John JR saw there was a need to repay society for his family's great wealth.  He meant it.  And no need to extraneously involve the Clintons.  Anyway, the fact is that no one who donates money to charities makes a profit on it.  It just doesn't work that way. 

FAKING donations, like Trump may have done, IS a profit.  Can't wait to see HIS tax returns once the Democrats take control of the House in a week...

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on December 26, 2018, 02:21:10 AM
As I said, John JR saw there was a need to repay society for his family's great wealth.  He meant it.  And no need to extraneously involve the Clintons.  Anyway, the fact is that no one who donates money to charities makes a profit on it.  It just doesn't work that way. 

FAKING donations, like Trump may have done, IS a profit.  Can't wait to see HIS tax returns once the Democrats take control of the House in a week...

Well there was the fake $400K go fund me, and now all the donations have been returned, and the scammers arrested.  Color me surprised ... nothing has worked like that since President Eisenhower.

Warren Buffet has made similar claims, but his wealth keeps growing anyway.  About $80 billion.  And Zuckerberg of Facebook is worth $54 billion.  They both earned every penny (sure they did).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on December 26, 2018, 02:36:29 AM
Well there was the fake $400K go fund me, and now all the donations have been returned, and the scammers arrested.  Color me surprised ... nothing has worked like that since President Eisenhower.

Warren Buffet has made similar claims, but his wealth keeps growing anyway.  About $80 billion.  And Zuckerberg of Facebook is worth $54 billion.  They both earned every penny (sure they did).

You do realize you aren't talking about the Rockefellers now, right?   Sure there are scams.  Not by them though, so far as I know.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on December 26, 2018, 02:40:43 AM
You do realize you aren't talking about the Rockefellers now, right?   Sure there are scams.  Not by them though, so far as I know.

Not all philanthropies are scams.  But that is why you want to see the percentage for admin costs, before donating.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on December 26, 2018, 02:42:18 AM
Not all philanthropies are scams.  But that is why you want to see the percentage for admin costs, before donating.

We agree again.  Twicet in one day.  Can the Board survive? 

I donate directly to some few charities that have vanishingly small overhead costs.  After research.  And I always give directly, no middleman costs. 

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on December 26, 2018, 02:47:15 AM
We agree again.  Twicet in one day.  Can the Board survive? 

I donate directly to some few charities that have vanishingly small overhead costs.  After research.  And I always give directly, no middleman costs.

I doubt people sincerity in giving.  Even if the mechanism isn't a scam, I think people are insincere, either because of delusion, or deception or both.

So yes, I judge people, and find them lacking.  I would prefer to have no standards at all, but I can't shut off my "woke-ness" to people's crap.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on December 26, 2018, 02:57:46 AM
I doubt people sincerity in giving.  Even if the mechanism isn't a scam, I think people are insincere, either because of delusion, or deception or both.

So yes, I judge people, and find them lacking.  I would prefer to have no standards at all, but I can't shut off my "woke-ness" to people's crap.

If I handed $100 to a cancer research lab directly, would that suit your requirements?  Suppose I did it through a group that took 3 cents of it for handling the transfer.  Would that be OK? 

We organize charities to encourage and direct donations to increase the total.  And someone has to do the transfers and organizing.  Do you object to THAT? 

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on December 26, 2018, 03:03:34 AM
If I handed $100 to a cancer research lab directly, would that suit your requirements?  Suppose I did it through a group that took 3 cents of it for handling the transfer.  Would that be OK? 

We organize charities to encourage and direct donations to increase the total.  And someone has to do the transfers and organizing.  Do you object to THAT?

Yes, but the charity industry wouldn't like you doing that.  They want their cut, even if they aren't Clintons etc.  Yes, even a 10% admin would be reasonable.  But if you check, there are many who fail that.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on December 26, 2018, 03:13:23 AM
Yes, but the charity industry wouldn't like you doing that.  They want their cut, even if they aren't Clintons etc.  Yes, even a 10% admin would be reasonable.  But if you check, there are many who fail that.

And the ones who demand a bigger cut don't get my donations.  Find a local one that puts your donations directly into their goal and support them.  Visit them.  See that they are doing what you want them to do. 

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on December 26, 2018, 03:17:12 AM
And the ones who demand a bigger cut don't get my donations.  Find a local one that puts your donations directly into their goal and support them.  Visit them.  See that they are doing what you want them to do.

Yes, local is better.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.