News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

I have a request for you all....

Started by Smartmarzipan, June 20, 2013, 01:02:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

surly74

Quote from: "WitchSabrina"I getting some conflicting stuff here.
Surly seems to be concerned with members getting into smacking contests - which in my opinion we have always had.

i saw the fuse getting shorter and shorter to being almost non existant. the forum was quickly becoming Youtube comments, all chest puffing pissing contests without actually addressing anything.

i would see people blow up and go back and try and find why and it seemed to be instantaneous. no debate, just right into hurling insults...an entire forum of mockingbird posts really. it's gradually happened over time, at least to me and it was from people that I wouldn't expect it from...a forum cabin fever so to speak.

smacking contests are ok, but before the crash (to me at least) if someone didn't automatically agree with your (in general) then it was taken personally and profane...and i'm not even addressing anything directed at me.
God bless those Pagans
--
Homer Simpson

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"I left another site that became wayyy to serious. I just don't want it to happen here. They completely lost their sense of balance it seemed.. AS IF being an atheist was serious shit deserving only of serious, scientific study.. :roll:

*ahem*  Like you or I would Ever let THAT happen.

*wink*
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

WitchSabrina

Someone add the scientists and this is a pic of our members

AllPurposeAtheist

Yeah, it sucks being one of the cool kids, but it's funner, eh?
I'd much rather shoot spitwads across the room than be teachers pet and be responsible for the cleaning of blackboard erasers.. :D/
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"Yeah, it sucks being one of the cool kids, but it's funner, eh?
I'd much rather shoot spitwads across the room than be teachers pet and be responsible for the cleaning of blackboard erasers.. :D/

There's lots of topics I can get very serious about but I also come here to decompress and get away from the seriousness of the world, too, at times.

AllPurposeAtheist

As I age I worry less and less. I spent a good deal of my life beating my head against the worry wall and anymore it just seems unimportant to me. I still care and the things I hold important are still there, but now I have other priorities like trying to keep my liver operational, walking without to much pain and so on. What government or some screwball preacher might be up to just feels like the mating habits of the purple, Amazonian 9 legged mosquito..  Maybe it's a health thing with me, but the distraction is kind of nice I guess. It's a break from all that depressing news 24/7..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

mykcob4

Quote from: "Smartmarzipan"Okay. In trying to make this forum a more "happening" kind of joint (that's the jive lingo for all you squares out there), I'd like to ask every one to find a couple of subjects that interest you, find some news or stories or opinions or anything, go to the respective subforums, and create a post that will generate interest and discussion. We've had these horrible crashes and lost a lot of archived stuff, and then there was the talk about this place not having any new members coming in and how it's dying....let's make it a bit more lively and interesting, yes? I found the History section incredibly sad, so I posted a few stories there. So, my request if for y'all to dig up something neat for every one to talk about and get posting! Perhaps we can get the attention of new people, eh?
You must be as old as I with words and phrases like "square" and "happening."
How funny that you an up to date contemporary reaction to a passe request.
I'll try and comply with your request but I must add that my personality is misunderstood by almost every stranger. I am brash in my writing manner. People take things personal instead of actually trying to comprehend what I've written. So whenever I start a thread atleast one person takes exception to what I've said and starts flaming indescriminately. This could be a problem attracting new people until they get use to me.
One thing that I have noticed is that some people come on this forum seeking what should be profession help. They are in dire need of counceling but they come here. I know full well how lonely being a true atheist is, and you wouldn't be an atheist if you didn't question even atheism. Also there are those that post nonsensical stuff as if they were on facebook or twitter. This forum could not possible compete with those sites. Your idea of starting new threads in every area simotaneously is a fine one but keeping that going will be hard. It's easy to post in "general" or 'Political" but some of the other areas a ones that can't demand too much attention.

Smartmarzipan

To quell any fears, I'm not asking for anyone to do anything that they don't want to. I'm just saying....spread your wings, y'all. We have a lot of fun here (and no one is going to stop that), but in order to draw in new people and have meaningful conversations, we have to have some actual content, not just clique-y, in-group circlejerks between the same handful of people. We're not about to start censoring people. We never have. And we're not about to turn this place into the Smithsonian Institute of Higher Learning, or anything like that, either.

I'm just asking if we could all, you know, come together and post stuff with some actual meat to generate interest not only with new people, but with ourselves. I'm not saying that no one posts good stuff....I just want more of it, you know?

Pretty please? :-D
Legi, Intellexi, Condemnavi.

"Religion is the human response to being alive and having to die." ~Anon

Inter arma enim silent leges