Springtime for Authoritarianism

Started by Hydra009, November 19, 2018, 01:12:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Sal1981

IDK. I live in a banana republic, basically, so maybe.

Unbeliever

I really hope America's institutions can withstand the stress. It wouldn't be fun living in such a society as some of those regimes are.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Hydra009

Quote from: Unbeliever on November 19, 2018, 03:31:30 PM
I really hope America's institutions can withstand the stress. It wouldn't be fun living in such a society as some of those regimes are.
They can...sorta.  But damned if it's not stressful watching them warp - but not snap - under pressure.

We're okay for now.  Next time, we might not be so lucky.  Either a president with authoritarian tendencies meets less resistance or authoritarianism gains more ground among the public GOP (preferably through less obnoxious and brazenly incorrect memes)  Alternatively, this threatening of American values might actually be beneficial in fueling a renewed appreciation for western-style democracy.  So who knows.  *creaking noises in the background*

Mike Cl

Quote from: Hydra009 on November 19, 2018, 04:12:29 PM
They can...sorta.  But damned if it's not stressful watching them warp - but not snap - under pressure.

We're okay for now.  Next time, we might not be so lucky.  Either a president with authoritarian tendencies meets less resistance or authoritarianism gains more ground among the public GOP (preferably through less obnoxious and brazenly incorrect memes)  Alternatively, this threatening of American values might actually be beneficial in fueling a renewed appreciation for western-style democracy.  So who knows.  *creaking noises in the background*
I like the direction you are taking this.  But I'm still not convinced that we have reached the crest of this movement.  I still really do see Trump winning in 2020.  I really, really do hope I am totally wrong!!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Unbeliever

Hell, the way things are going we might not even have elections in 2020.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on November 19, 2018, 03:31:30 PM

Dystopias in literature or in practice, are all experiments in desirable outcomes for the US (according to people who hate the US).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on November 19, 2018, 04:12:29 PM

American values ... wild sex, drugs, campus demonstrations, bad Rock music, French existentialist poetry ... what is not to like?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on November 19, 2018, 06:27:41 PM
I like the direction you are taking this.  But I'm still not convinced that we have reached the crest of this movement.  I still really do see Trump winning in 2020.  I really, really do hope I am totally wrong!!

A coward dies a thousand deaths, a brave man dies only once.  Said by Julius Caesar just before the Senate killed him for naming a new attorney general ... no, a salad.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on November 19, 2018, 07:00:46 PM
Hell, the way things are going we might not even have elections in 2020.

Why bother?  All we need is Emperor Xi.  He will save us from Trump and Putin, he has the mandate of Heaven.

In Ireland, the most common spoken language is English, then Polish, third comes Chinese? and dead last comes Irish.

Once you find an honest man who had your interests at heart, you need search no further.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

I saw the start of 'Watchmen' last night.  Nixon had been re-elected to a 3rd, 4th, and 5th term.

I hope Trump didn't watch that.  Might give him ideas, ya know?  And I really don't want to die in a rebellion...  I have a nice retirement and hope to enjoy it another 20-30 years.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on November 24, 2018, 02:26:45 PM
I saw the start of 'Watchmen' last night.  Nixon had been re-elected to a 3rd, 4th, and 5th term.

I hope Trump didn't watch that.  Might give him ideas, ya know?  And I really don't want to die in a rebellion...  I have a nice retirement and hope to enjoy it another 20-30 years.

I am sure you would support Zombie Obama (it sounds right, so I pick on him this time).  No, you will die in the hands of Bob, while getting a sponge bath at the nursing home ... see you there!

Nixon was to the Left, of Democrats, since Bill Clinton.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.