News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Got My First Student Loan Bill

Started by Shiranu, November 18, 2018, 11:03:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

This semester, I had to drop out because I simply couldn't afford to go to school anymore; I made around $500-600 a month, and between car payments, medical bills, rent, phone and food I normally spend about $900 a month.

Last week I lost my job, and then two days ago I got hit with this. In the email they put it in very explicit terms that, if I did not pay it they would destroy my credit and thus my life...

...every month, I am suppose to pay an extra $437... even though I'm already paying several hundred dollars more than I make in bills and having to pull from savings... and of course atm, I have no income.

It is possible to get it down to about $200 a month with deferments and grace periods, but it's going to take up to 3 weeks for that to be approved (if it does get approved) and I'm still obligated to pay that $437. However with the payments at $200 or w/e it was, that will add $33,000 worth of interest to my debt, setting that grandtotal to about $80,000.

Student debt is on the verge of hitting 1.5 trillion dollars... since September, the student debt amount has gone up by $37 billion dollars. Over 11% of student debt has gone delinquent or defaulted, and that number is suppose to be significantly under-reported because of how many people are deferring it but still won't be able to pay it once that's over.

I'm about $50,000 in debt, and I haven't even been able to do anything "adult"; I have never been able to afford a house, a new car, start a family, nothing. Every last dollar of that debt comes from getting a university degree which is absolutely fucking worthless in today's economy, when people I know who never went to school are making $18/hour... far fucking more than any college degree would get me.

I mean this in all seriousness, if I could kill myself... I would spend all my money on a few months of unrestraint hedonism and lending money to friends before blowing my brains out. But I cant even do that, because the mobsters they are move that debt over to my mother if I die.

My best bet is to pay the absolute bare minimum I can, even if that will just drive me further and further towards being broke, and hope this system collapses sooner rather than later. This debt cannot possibly be sustainable.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Draconic Aiur

Thank Science I have the pell grant.

Gawdzilla Sama

Shirnau, have you contacted them about deferments? You can postpone payment if the circumstances are right. Ignoring the threats will have the results you are afraid of.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Mr.Obvious

Jesus Christ, your educational system isn't borderline criminal. It's full-blown.

I'm sorry Shiranu. That sucks beyond my capacity to express.
But I do want to urge you not to despair; keep looking for solutions. You're in a bad place right now, lot of shit happening at once. But don't give up and don't think such dark thoughts. Even mere thoughts of suïcide are a dangerous thing. Struggle, don't give in.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

PopeyesPappy

Are your loans public, private, or both?
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Shiranu

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on November 19, 2018, 07:59:01 AM
Shirnau, have you contacted them about deferments? You can postpone payment if the circumstances are right. Ignoring the threats will have the results you are afraid of.

In the process of doing that. It can take 2-3 weeks however before they even respond it said, and during that period I'm still obligated to pay that $400.

QuoteAre your loans public, private, or both?

Both. When my family moved back to Texas I had to pay out of state tuition, and that was more than the government loans would cover.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

_Xenu_

Oh man. I'm about to graduate from technical school in a few months and this is scary. My total debt is about $6000 and I have 3 months to start paying it. I'm hoping to make somewhat decent money when I get out but I really hope the payments are not that high, it could erase the entire income gain.

I'm sorry you are in this situation. This is just another example of how stacked the system is against the non-rich.
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

_Xenu_

Quote from: Shiranu on November 19, 2018, 04:27:21 PM
In the process of doing that. It can take 2-3 weeks however before they even respond it said, and during that period I'm still obligated to pay that $400.

Both. When my family moved back to Texas I had to pay out of state tuition, and that was more than the government loans would cover.

The private loans are often loaded with harsher terms than government ones. Just so you know. Is that bill a total of both of them or just one?
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: Shiranu on November 19, 2018, 04:27:21 PM

The private loans make it harder, but the government loans qualify for income based payments. Typically 10-15% of your income in excess of 150% of the poverty line. That could be as low as $0.00 per month. They can also be discharged after 15-20 years if you make the minimum payments, including payments of $0.00 if you qualify, even if you have a remaining balance.

A few questions.

Where do you live?
What was your field of study?
How far along were you?
What skills do you have?
What do you like to do?
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Mermaid

Shiranu, call them. Please.
It seems horrifying, but the more transparent you are with the loan people, the better for you. This is a very common scenario, and they have people who will help. Honest.

I understand fully this feeling of panic.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Unbeliever

Better make sure all those bills get paid, or you might end up in jail:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pz5-6bA3KBk
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Gawdzilla Sama

I got a call a few months after I left Purdue. An officer I had worked with when I was on active duty offered me a job doing what I did in the Navy. They couldn't hire me officially, but he did offer to get my student loans canceled. I had just over 100K is loans, so this sounded good to me. I never paid a dollar on the loans.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on November 20, 2018, 07:20:35 PM
I got a call a few months after I left Purdue. An officer I had worked with when I was on active duty offered me a job doing what I did in the Navy. They couldn't hire me officially, but he did offer to get my student loans canceled. I had just over 100K is loans, so this sounded good to me. I never paid a dollar on the loans.

Deep State = Deep Pockets.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SoldierofFortune

Baruch

Quote from: SoldierofFortune on November 20, 2018, 11:32:32 PM
what is your unrestraint hedonism?

Do you mean ... burning money like there is no tomorrow?  That is how Western economics works.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.