News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

NYC-Sized, Ice-Age Crater Found in Greenland

Started by Shiranu, November 17, 2018, 05:23:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018/11/massive-crater-under-greenland-s-ice-points-climate-altering-impact-time-humans

QuoteWhat he brought home clinched the case for a grand discovery. Hidden beneath Hiawatha is a 31-kilometer-wide impact crater, big enough to swallow Washington, D.C., Kjær and 21 co-authors report today in a paper in Science Advances. The crater was left when an iron asteroid 1.5 kilometers across slammed into Earth, possibly within the past 100,000 years.

Though not as cataclysmic as the dinosaur-killing Chicxulub impact, which carved out a 200-kilometer-wide crater in Mexico about 66 million years ago, the Hiawatha impactor, too, may have left an imprint on the planet's history. The timing is still up for debate, but some researchers on the discovery team believe the asteroid struck at a crucial moment: roughly 13,000 years ago, just as the world was thawing from the last ice age. That would mean it crashed into Earth when mammoths and other megafauna were in decline and people were spreading across North America.

The resulting explosion packed the energy of 700 1-megaton nuclear bombs, and even an observer hundreds of kilometers away would have experienced a buffeting shock wave, a monstrous thunder-clap, and hurricane-force winds. Later, rock debris might have rained down on North America and Europe, and the released steam, a greenhouse gas, could have locally warmed Greenland, melting even more ice.

I posted this hypothesis from several scientists a month or two ago, that around 13,000 years ago a meteor hit the glaciers and caused a cataclysmic event that wiped out several civilizations. The evidence is there; sites like Gobekli Tepe, Monte Verde in Chile, evidence in the Eastern Islands that the heads are much older than proposed, Cambay in India, and many more all directly contradict the Western view on the origins of civilization, with all of them being far more advanced than you would expect from cultures that all developed several thousand years before civilization supposedly began to exist. In another thread I criticized how Americans believe Clovis were the first inhabitants in the New World (despite several sites that predate Clovis by thousands of years in South America), and from my own studies one defining feature of Clovis sites is there is very often a layer of iron buried in the soil with it... which seems awfully convenient if an iron asteroid hit right next to North America.

Now we have archaeological evidence, mythological reference that collaborates from India to Europe, Africa and the New World... as well as quite possibly the impact crater that lead to all these myths. People's careers have been quite literally destroyed over proposing this for decades now... and yet it turns out they were likely right all along.

That was my big gripe with science a month or so ago, and it's become even more so now... history is littered with scientists being metaphorically lynched for even questioning established science and yet they were right all along. The evidence just continues to stack in favour of pre-Ice Age civilizations having once existed.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Unbeliever

I wonder how a Tunguska-like event would be recorded by ancient people. It might have been called an angel of God, or a sword of God, or something similar.

For example, after David is provoked to number Israel:

1Chronicles 21:16
QuoteAnd David lifted up his eyes, and saw the angel of the LORD stand between the earth and the heaven, having a drawn sword in his hand stretched out over Jerusalem. Then David and the elders of Israel, who were clothed in sackcloth, fell upon their faces.

Could this be a reference to a meteor that blew up in the atmosphere? I've seen artist's conceptions of what the Tunguska meteorite might have looked like coming down, and it struck me that it could easily have been described by ancients as an angel of God holding a sword.

https://www.pond5.com/stock-footage/21904109/tunguska-event-asteroid-comet-meteor-collision.html
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Gawdzilla Sama

"possibly within the past 100,000 years."

Selective reading or wishful thinking?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Shiranu

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on November 18, 2018, 06:25:05 AM
"possibly within the past 100,000 years."

Selective reading or wishful thinking?

And possibly as early as 12,000 years ago, as stated within the article, although I would say even anything within the last 20-30,000 years would still make sense with both the mythological and archaeological records. 12,000 or 30,000... both of those fall within the past 100,000 years unless my math is failing me.

A comet strike right on the glaciers would cause, or at the very least heavily influence, the odd climate shifts we saw at the end of the last Ice Age... and lo-and-behold, we find a crater exactly where those glaciers would be. In North America we consistently find layers of iron mixed with Clovis artifacts... which fits the fact this was an iron meteor and the Clovis people show up 12,000-13,000 years ago. We have "mythological" accounts from across the world of such an event happening (either a comet strike or massive flooding), mythological accounts that begin appearing around 13,000 years ago. We have the geological landscape of the Camas Valley, as well as ripples in Russia, that indicate there were massive tidal waves of water rushing very quickly across previously glacial covered land... and we just happen to have mythology from both Native Americans and from the Middle East/India that collaborate with that.

The fact that Americans still believe Clovis people are the oldest Americans, when the rest of the world completely disagrees with us (thanks to sites like Monte Verde in Chile and Toca da Tira Peia in Brasil which were established several thousand years before the Clovis people, or even the 15,500 Arrowhead found at the DFL site here in Austin where I have worked) proves that our models are, flatly, wrong.

Wishful thinking is holding onto this American view of the history of the world that civilization couldn't possibly be older than we say it is, despite actual civilizations being found that predate "civilization", while everyone else just looks at us and shakes their head. And wishful thinking is denying that the geological evidence, the historical/mythological evidence, and the archaeological evidence all point to some cataclysmic event happening... and even when we quite possibly find the smoking crater, still thinking it's wrong.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

aitm

Quote from: Unbeliever on November 17, 2018, 06:19:39 PM
I wonder how a Tunguska-like event would be recorded by ancient people. It might have been called an angel of God, or a sword of God, or something similar.

For example, after David is provoked to number Israel:

1Chronicles 21:16
Could this be a reference to a meteor that blew up in the atmosphere? I've seen artist's conceptions of what the Tunguska meteorite might have looked like coming down, and it struck me that it could easily have been described by ancients as an angel of God holding a sword.

https://www.pond5.com/stock-footage/21904109/tunguska-event-asteroid-comet-meteor-collision.html

A mite of a stretch eh? Maybe just me, but I can't see how one can go from A to Q any weirder than that.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Shiranu on November 18, 2018, 06:56:04 AM
And possibly as early as 12,000 years ago, as stated within the article, although I would say even anything within the last 20-30,000 years would still make sense with both the mythological and archaeological records. 12,000 or 30,000... both of those fall within the past 100,000 years unless my math is failing me.

A comet strike right on the glaciers would cause, or at the very least heavily influence, the odd climate shifts we saw at the end of the last Ice Age... and lo-and-behold, we find a crater exactly where those glaciers would be. In North America we consistently find layers of iron mixed with Clovis artifacts... which fits the fact this was an iron meteor and the Clovis people show up 12,000-13,000 years ago. We have "mythological" accounts from across the world of such an event happening (either a comet strike or massive flooding), mythological accounts that begin appearing around 13,000 years ago. We have the geological landscape of the Camas Valley, as well as ripples in Russia, that indicate there were massive tidal waves of water rushing very quickly across previously glacial covered land... and we just happen to have mythology from both Native Americans and from the Middle East/India that collaborate with that.

The fact that Americans still believe Clovis people are the oldest Americans, when the rest of the world completely disagrees with us (thanks to sites like Monte Verde in Chile and Toca da Tira Peia in Brasil which were established several thousand years before the Clovis people, or even the 15,500 Arrowhead found at the DFL site here in Austin where I have worked) proves that our models are, flatly, wrong.

Wishful thinking is holding onto this American view of the history of the world that civilization couldn't possibly be older than we say it is, despite actual civilizations being found that predate "civilization", while everyone else just looks at us and shakes their head. And wishful thinking is denying that the geological evidence, the historical/mythological evidence, and the archaeological evidence all point to some cataclysmic event happening... and even when we quite possibly find the smoking crater, still thinking it's wrong.
I'm not an archeologist and I know that the Clovis model has been challenged. Your sweeping generalizations about the US is based on hyper-focusing.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/north-america-first-humans-colonist-evidence-scientists-alaska-genetics-a8140231.html

25,000 years ago, twice Clovis.  But from Asia or Europe (Solutreans) ... there was a glacial minimum before the last major glaciation.  The genetics could have got here from either frozen ocean (N Atlantic or N Pacific or even over the N Pole).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.