News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

History from the 20th century

Started by pr126, November 17, 2018, 10:21:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pr126

History from the 20th century that is probably not in the curriculum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugeUGnxvm_U

Baruch

But ... but ... he didn't do real communism (also Lenin, Mao, Castro, Ho, Pol Pot ...)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Draconic Aiur

Baruch

Tell that to the million man highway in Siberia.  A million prisoners died building it in Winter, with no proper Winter clothing.  A prisoner died every few yards, they weren't buried, but their bones were added to the gravel.  When you drive this long road, to nowhere ... you are driving over the graves of one million people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1noUh2NrLI
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

Quote from: pr126 on November 17, 2018, 10:21:32 AM
History from the 20th century that is probably not in the curriculum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugeUGnxvm_U

I'm going to be upfront honest; aint no way in hell I'm watching a 2h, 30m video.

That said... I actually completely and utterly agree that the USSR is not remotely talked about enough in schools today, given both the massive influence they have had on European and American history as well as so much of the current West vs East conflict is still directly tied to the divisions created during this period.

My dad was part of the Berlin Airlift, and up until about half a year ago I always thought, "Huh, that's cool." without actually knowing much about it other than they were dropping food into Berlin. It's something we never even really heard of in school, and it always just seemed to me that they were doing it because there was food shortages in post-war Germany or something. I had no clue that it was because the Soviets were attempting to starve all the Germans to death.

I was never taught that the USSR was committing genocide against my people... both in Berlin and across their other vassals... and I grew up in a region with cities named Weimar, New Braunfels, Boerne, Freidrecksberg... if any part of the United States should be teaching about ethnic cleansing of Germans, this is it.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Draconic Aiur

Quote from: Baruch on November 18, 2018, 03:58:20 AM
Tell that to the million man highway in Siberia.  A million prisoners died building it in Winter, with no proper Winter clothing.  A prisoner died every few yards, they weren't buried, but their bones were added to the gravel.  When you drive this long road, to nowhere ... you are driving over the graves of one million people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1noUh2NrLI

No the commentary is a bore, and I barely passed 10 mins.

Baruch

Quote from: Draconic Aiur on November 18, 2018, 04:39:59 AM
No the commentary is a bore, and I barely passed 10 mins.

Bored to death?  It was a bit over 13 mins.  Read Gulag Archipelago.  Russians like long reads on cold Winter nights.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Draconic Aiur

Quote from: Baruch on November 18, 2018, 08:20:38 AM
Bored to death?  It was a bit over 13 mins.  Read Gulag Archipelago.  Russians like long reads on cold Winter nights.

Twas a political message no doubt

Baruch

Quote from: Draconic Aiur on November 18, 2018, 01:37:36 PM
Twas a political message no doubt

And are you anarchist?  (rhetorical question, don't answer)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Draconic Aiur

When the speaker mentioned Armageddon I was out.

Baruch

Quote from: Draconic Aiur on November 18, 2018, 02:27:10 PM
When the speaker mentioned Armageddon I was out.

Triggered?  The point wasn't religious.  Good thing people aren't triggered by the letter "e" .. particularly in Canada ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Draconic Aiur

Quote from: Baruch on November 18, 2018, 03:55:28 PM
Triggered?  The point wasn't religious.  Good thing people aren't triggered by the letter "e" .. particularly in Canada ;-)

More like I stopped caring