Lace Thong = Proof of Consent in Rape Case, Leads to Acquittal

Started by Shiranu, November 16, 2018, 07:25:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

I am thankful I haven't seen the utterly moronic phrase, "What is rape culture? That's just some made up Marxist phrase!" in awhile, but nevertheless... this is rape culture.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/15/world/europe/ireland-underwear-rape-case-protest.html

QuoteA criminal trial in Ireland, in which the lawyer of a man accused of rape cited the lacy underwear worn by a woman as a sign of her consent, has ignited outrage across the country and beyond.

During the closing argument, the defense lawyer asked the jury to consider the underwear worn by the 17-year-old woman at the time prosecutors said she was raped in a muddy alleyway by a 27-year-old man.

“Does the evidence out-rule the possibility that she was attracted to the defendant and was open to meeting someone and being with someone?” the lawyer asked, according to The Irish Times. “You have to look at the way she was dressed. She was wearing a thong with a lace front.”

The man was acquitted, and the case immediately drew calls for accountability and sparked a national dialogue about consent and victim blaming. Hundreds of women and men with posters and lace underwear in hand protested in five cities across the country on Wednesday.

This cultural reckoning has also shone a light on the way the country deals with cases of sexual assault. There have been similar challenges in Northern Ireland. In Northern Ireland, fewer than 2 percent of rape cases lead to convictions, according to a recent report from the Criminal Justice Inspection.

This spring, a proceeding that came to be known as the Belfast trialignited similar outrage in Northern Ireland, where two rugby players who play for the national team were accused of raping a woman at a house party.

The prosecution’s case included accounts from a taxi driver who testified that the woman had been sobbing on her drive home and that there had been blood on the back of her white jeans. A doctor told the court that he had observed a laceration in her bleeding vagina.
But defense experts argued that this was not proof that she had been raped, or even that she had had sex.

I am not arguing that women in the West are not treated significantly better than women in the Middle East, but this idea that we are on a level where we can judge how other cultures treat their women is ridiculous to me. When only 2% of rape cases are leading to convictions (a number that is not isolated to conservative countries like the Irelands but to many Western nations), and an estimated 90% or so don't even get reported, we clearly do not have any moral high ground to be judging others and should be putting our own house in order first.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Mermaid

A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Munch

Its horrible that anyone is a victim of rape, nobody should ever have to endure that, and especially never have face the prospect the one who did it got off scot free.

However, I would like some statistics on these percentages based on current times, you say 2% leading to convictions, based on what information?

Also you should never use this as a reason to deflect from the crimes committed against women in the middle east, even the wests worst court system for female rape victims is better here then way of life is for many women over there.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Shiranu

Quote...you say 2% leading to convictions, based on what information?

The article above.

And I'm not deflecting from those issues, I am preemptively bringing it up before I got a, "Yeah,  well, it's worse over there so why are you complaining?"
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on November 16, 2018, 09:18:24 PM
Its horrible that anyone is a victim of rape, nobody should ever have to endure that, and especially never have face the prospect the one who did it got off scot free.

However, I would like some statistics on these percentages based on current times, you say 2% leading to convictions, based on what information?

Also you should never use this as a reason to deflect from the crimes committed against women in the middle east, even the wests worst court system for female rape victims is better here then way of life is for many women over there.

3 of 4 accusations against Kavanaugh retracted.  4th person got $1 million go-fund-me.

Recent Texas case.  Man convicted of breaking and entering, and assault ... sentenced to 99 years in jail.  Released now, because woman admitted she said it just because she was mad at him.

See, women are assholes, same as men.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Shiranu on November 16, 2018, 09:44:40 PM
The article above.

And I'm not deflecting from those issues, I am preemptively bringing it up before I got a, "Yeah,  well, it's worse over there so why are you complaining?"

"Less worse" is a poor justification for anything.  The whole world needs to get better.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Hijiri Byakuren

Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Baruch

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on November 17, 2018, 08:53:02 AM
What a bunch of fucking bullshit.

Unless you have full video, and lie detector evidence .. what is consent?  Don't have mutual sex with anyone, please.  Any mutual sex, is rape, because even if consent is given, it was a mistake by the grantor, or to be denied later.  No doubt if we did that, the SJW would be accusing masturbors of self rape.

How about actual facts, actual statistics?

https://www.rainn.org/statistics/perpetrators-sexual-violence

Or we can express our ass-hat opinions about how the criminal justice system is fucked, or how the perps need to be publicly crucified or how all victims are liars.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mermaid

Quote from: Munch on November 16, 2018, 09:18:24 PM

Classic. Rape is bad.

BUT...
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Draconic Aiur

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mermaid

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Draconic Aiur

Quote from: Mermaid on November 18, 2018, 09:56:11 AM
Please explain.

Go to any hentai site and you'll find rape as a genre. Hell you'll find loli too.

Munch

I think it's a Japanese thing, even in yaoi, when characters are having sex, they look like their in pain or displeasure.

Might explain why Japanese have a dwindling population
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin