Lace Thong = Proof of Consent in Rape Case, Leads to Acquittal

Started by Shiranu, November 16, 2018, 07:25:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mermaid

Why does that have anything to do
Quote from: Draconic Aiur on November 18, 2018, 01:42:15 PM
Go to any hentai site and you'll find rape as a genre. Hell you'll find loli too.
Why is that germane to this case in Ireland?
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on November 18, 2018, 03:41:25 PM
I think it's a Japanese thing, even in yaoi, when characters are having sex, they look like their in pain or displeasure.

Might explain why Japanese have a dwindling population

Grimacing samurai in Kabuki posters?  I suspect for them, it is the transitoriness of life, and knowing sooner or later they get decapitated or disemboweled.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Mermaid on November 18, 2018, 03:52:21 PM
Why is that germane to this case in Ireland?
I wondered that too, but I didn't want to post anything about it, because I figured it would just open another floodgate of crap.

Draconic Aiur

Quote from: Mermaid on November 18, 2018, 03:52:21 PM
Why does that have anything to do Why is that germane to this case in Ireland?

Because it a part of rape culture

Mermaid

Quote from: SGOS on November 18, 2018, 05:13:54 PM
I wondered that too, but I didn't want to post anything about it, because I figured it would just open another floodgate of crap.
I should know better. You're right.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Mermaid

Quote from: Draconic Aiur on November 18, 2018, 05:39:12 PM
And so is asking a victim what she was wearing, bringing her panties to court and suggesting that they indicate consent. And the jury agreeing.

Draconic Aiur

Baruch

Even if a woman were naked, or undressed in front of me, that doesn't mean I can touch her.  In fact, I should excuse myself from the room.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Johan

Quote from: Draconic Aiur on November 18, 2018, 05:39:12 PM
I know I'll regret this but.... That presupposes that the actual case presented by the prosecutor was rock solid the defense presented by the lawyer was insufficient to achieve a not guilty verdict until the lawyer made the lace thong comment during closing argument.   
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Shiranu

Quote from: Johan on November 19, 2018, 07:55:46 PM
I know I'll regret this but.... That presupposes that the actual case presented by the prosecutor was rock solid the defense presented by the lawyer was insufficient to achieve a not guilty verdict until the lawyer made the lace thong comment during closing argument.   

Even if that is true, that just makes the lace remark the icing on top of the cake, or more accurately the salt being rubbed in the wound, and still is indicative of a rape culture where women, 9 out of 10 times, will be presumed to be lying about being raped if they even have the courage to go to the police about it.

It's still indicative that we live in a rape culture because why in the actual right fuck would anyone think that's an acceptable thing to say in court, in the presence of someone who was potentially raped, and why was he not (metaphorically) crucified for saying it?
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on November 19, 2018, 08:06:22 PM
Even if that is true, that just makes the lace remark the icing on top of the cake, or more accurately the salt being rubbed in the wound, and still is indicative of a rape culture where women, 9 out of 10 times, will be presumed to be lying about being raped if they even have the courage to go to the police about it.

It's still indicative that we live in a rape culture because why in the actual right fuck would anyone think that's an acceptable thing to say in court, in the presence of someone who was potentially raped, and why was he not (metaphorically) crucified for saying it?

All the men are liars too.  This is an Adam & Eve thing.

I don't think anything should be said at court, because courts shouldn't exist.  Her male relatives should kill anyone she chooses to have ennui toward.  That would be an international men's day worth celebrating.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mermaid

SGOS

Quote from: Shiranu on November 19, 2018, 08:06:22 PM
You might be interested in this:
https://www.amazon.com/Missoula-Rape-Justice-System-College/dp/0385538731
"From bestselling author Jon Krakauer, a stark, powerful, meticulously reported narrative about a series of sexual assaults at the University of Montana ­â€" stories that illuminate the human drama behind the national plague of campus rape."

Krakauer, one of my favorite authors, has written some outstanding books on a variety of topics. Missoula describes events, public and legal responses over rapes in one community, but is claimed to be indicative of culture far beyond the town of Missoula.  From reading reports from all over the country, it appears to be close to the mark.  The book is even handed, as it doesn't moralize much.  It reports known facts and testimonies mostly.  The shocking parts to me were how large segments of the population draw knee jerk conclusions without actual information and how influential people in the community and University officials can interfere in a legal system which is often reluctant to get involved in the first place.  Throw in a star quarterback with his future ahead of him, and the community develops opinions that muddy the process even more.

For some reason, I was left with the thought, "This isn't going to change."

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

A few decades ago, there was a guy walking around naked in my college campus.  No gay guys ever raped him.

So the idea that what a woman wears should be considered any remote justification for rape is utterly idiotic. 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!