Eastern & Western Europe. Compare and contrast.

Started by pr126, November 14, 2018, 12:03:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pr126

While Macron Was Condemning Nationalism, Poland Has Their Largest Independence Day March Ever

Some media reported that the marching Polish people are the far-right neo-Nazi, xenophobic white supremacist.

Shocking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtXXKovulOk

Baruch

For Germany and Russia, the only good Pole is a dead Pole.  Are we on the right side of history or what?

We should have carpet bombed Stalin with nukes, all the way to Yakutsk Siberia.  And use German slave labor to rebuild it.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

All previously subjugated nations have political problems.  Poland has been wrecked in so many ways throughout history.  I would give them some time...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on November 14, 2018, 02:23:31 PM
All previously subjugated nations have political problems.  Poland has been wrecked in so many ways throughout history.  I would give them some time...

Germany and Russia never will.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

Pr, you do realise that Poland just purged their Supreme Court because it imposed checks and balances on the PM, right?

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/03/world/europe/poland-supreme-court-protest.html

You know, in a Western, secular democracy that is not a good thing. That is authoritarian behaviour, something you seem to continue to support so long as the authoritarians hate the same people you do.

Who made you such a useful idiot?
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

Poland wasn't progressive in 1939 either.  Authoritarian, militaristic, anti-semitic.  Catholicism keeps on giving.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Shiranu on November 19, 2018, 04:45:01 AM
Pr, you do realise that Poland just purged their Supreme Court because it imposed checks and balances on the PM, right?

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/03/world/europe/poland-supreme-court-protest.html

You know, in a Western, secular democracy that is not a good thing. That is authoritarian behaviour, something you seem to continue to support so long as the authoritarians hate the same people you do.

Who made you such a useful idiot?

I do have to remind myself that Poland was never a bastion of freedom.  But they try sometimes (failure is the default). 

As I would welcome any nation that takes a daring step over the line to democracy, I will equally welcome any nation that steps away from authoritarianism.  The first step is hard and may not be permanent, but few things are. 

When a child takes its first step and falls, do we applaud the try or do we criticize the failure? 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on November 24, 2018, 04:08:58 PM
I do have to remind myself that Poland was never a bastion of freedom.  But they try sometimes (failure is the default). 

As I would welcome any nation that takes a daring step over the line to democracy, I will equally welcome any nation that steps away from authoritarianism.  The first step is hard and may not be permanent, but few things are. 

When a child takes its first step and falls, do we applaud the try or do we criticize the failure?

So you would tell Athens in 399 BCE ... good try, but don't kill a public intellectual next time?

Democracy .. you can fool all the people all the time.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.