News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Stan Lee dead at 95

Started by GrinningYMIR, November 12, 2018, 02:12:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Quote from: Munch on November 12, 2018, 08:14:09 PM
You know, it makes me wonder if because of these elements stan lee, steve ditko and jack kirby created, if that isn't why the marvel comic movies are doing so well, and where dc cinematic universe just isn't.
One explanation I've heard about this discrepancy is that they follow a different narrative process - DCEU starts with what the characters are doing and works their way back while the MCU takes the characters and uses their personalities to dictate what they're doing.  And I think Sony just throws darts at the wall.  And sometimes, the wall has stuff on it.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Munch on November 12, 2018, 08:15:05 PM
we get it, the only thing you can relate to stan lee is that one big bang episode.
Well, I have read many of the comics, it's just been a while.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

GSOgymrat

I think Marvel has generally done a better job at character-driven narratives that people can relate to. The first comic I started reading as a kid was Fantastic Four and what initially hooked me were the images. I thought the Human Torch just looked super cool (ha!) and then I got into the family dynamic and overall weirdness of their adventures.

Munch

you know its kinda sad to think of, but Steve Ditko died this year also, back in june, but he hadn't carried the same charisma Stan had all these years, despite being one of the co founders of marvel.

All three of the founders of marvel are now gone :(
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Sal1981

I've never read any of the comics. Like most, I watched the movie adaptations of the comics. He will be missed.

Hydra009

Quote from: Sal1981 on November 12, 2018, 10:10:28 PMI've never read any of the comics. Like most, I watched the movie adaptations of the comics.

Never any??  Did you just never find a comic series that really clicked with you?  Then how could the movies??  Brain...hurty me.

Sal1981

It's more a question of availability. There aren't any comic bookstores around here.

Shiranu

Quote from: Sal1981 on November 12, 2018, 10:21:39 PM
It's more a question of availability. There aren't any comic bookstores around here.

This. Comic books weren't really a thing in rural Texas.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hydra009

Quote from: Sal1981 on November 12, 2018, 10:21:39 PM
Ah, okay.  That makes more sense.

I always find it strange that the movies audience vastly dwarfs the comics audience.  Because the comics are what gets the ball rolling - without comics being a big hit, there is no movie.

And there's so much GOOOOD stuff out there - not just comics but fiction in general - that most people have no idea about it because it's not in convenient TV/movie packaging or it's not available in their neck of the woods.  That seems unfair to audiences who would love this stuff if only they got their hands on it.

Unfortunately, it's relegated to a niche audience for years, sometimes decades, before it really hits the public.

It takes a long time for an idea to make its way from the writer's room, to relatively low-budget publications like comics and books (with a modest following), to the silver screen with mass following and merch out the wazoo.  The journey there is filled with lots of trials and tribulations - where things could head south in an instant.  Yet, by some miracle, it makes it through this process, and mostly intact.

And then I see low-effort crap movies being made that I swear the devil himself signed off on, it makes me feel really bad for the struggling writers out there who could - who would - have a huge hit on their hands...if only...

Hydra009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmLFGWAyajU

Bear in mind that Stan Lee saved us from this...this...(process?) of character creation.  If it weren't for him, this would've been the norm.  *shudders*

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on November 12, 2018, 10:34:26 PM
This. Comic books weren't really a thing in rural Texas.

Too busy cow tipping?  And cow patty tossing contests?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Hydra009 on November 12, 2018, 10:18:39 PM

Never any??  Did you just never find a comic series that really clicked with you?  Then how could the movies??  Brain...hurty me.

I don't think I ever read a marvel comic either.
I watched cartoon shows of X-men (which was the shit when I grew up!) and spiderman etc though.
But the comics were never big here. We have our own flooded market of great comics, though not in the line of 'superheroes'.
I think they couldn't quite take off in such a saturated market.

Anyway, the great thing about the movies is that they don't require you to click with the comic books.  They manage to set up the stories and characters fast and well enough for you to care. And then they draw you in for a fun ride. Needs nothing more than that.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

GSOgymrat

Back in the 70's my younger brother and I bought comic books when our mom took up to the pharmacy in Asheville. That was the only place I knew at the time that sold comic books. A comic book store opened in the 80's.

Munch

There wasn't a comic shop in my town, but I use to travel to other towns to find comic shops, and brought stacks of comics. I then setup a phone order with one comic shop I shopped with for several years.

I don't mass buy comics anymore. Just occasionally treat myself to some of buy a graphic novel.

Munch