News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Stan Lee dead at 95

Started by GrinningYMIR, November 12, 2018, 02:12:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrinningYMIR

"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Unbeliever

Don't tell Sheldon and Leonard, they'll be all torn up over it.

Stan had a good long run, and he's been a big influence on the American "culture."
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Munch

so sad :(

he was my hero growing up. Me and my childhood friend use to talk about how awesome it be to meet him one day, he inspired me to write stories and make up fictional characters of my own.

he was a legend, I knew he didn't have much longer, but was glad he got to at least get back together with his daughter, after the mess his carer put him though.

Thank you stan :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a2SZxUK2OA
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

drunkenshoe

:(

He did have a good long run. RIP.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Draconic Aiur

Baruch

Quote from: Draconic Aiur on November 12, 2018, 04:53:31 PM
What were his positives?

"he co-created fictional characters including Spider-Man, the Hulk, Doctor Strange, the Fantastic Four, Daredevil, Black Panther, the X-Men, and ... the characters Ant-Man, Iron Man, and Thor." ... from Wikipedia
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Stan Lee had a really marvelous imagination! ;-)
God Not Found

SoldierofFortune

Wish i could see the age he died if i care of me...

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Draconic Aiur on November 12, 2018, 04:53:31 PM
What were his positives?
He said Tony Stank. That alone is good enough for me.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

GSOgymrat

"Hey True Believers!"

Stan Lee helped create a universe of interesting characters and stories that have kept me entertained most of my life. He always struck me as an original geek who had boundless enthusiasm for comics and sincerely loved his fans.

Munch

Quote from: GSOgymrat on November 12, 2018, 07:04:08 PM
"Hey True Believers!"

Stan Lee helped create a universe of interesting characters and stories that have kept me entertained most of my life. He always struck me as an original geek who had boundless enthusiasm for comics and sincerely loved his fans.

I grew up on his work and the world he created. I tried my hand at drawing from a book he published on drawing. But it was more then that, I escaped into marvel comics, at times when it was to hard to deal with the pressures of life when younger, my drunk father, bully older brother, and being bullied in school, for me escape was both in games, and comics, marvel comics especially.
I loved stan the man so much I wanted to meet him one day, I even think I wrote him a letter when I was 12, mailing it to the uk branch of marvel comics, not knowing if it would ever reach him.

Its just so sad that someone like him, having to deal with so much crap at the end, given what he gave for the world.

Hydra009

He had a rare mix of gifts - great imagination, enthusiasm for the art of storytelling, and love for fans.  He didn't just try to sell a story - he tried to build a community and he was wildly successful at that.

Also, Stan Lee and other Marvel writers revolutionized the superhero genre, creating complex characters with human strengths and flaws and lives outside of the latest crisis.  And many of these stories tackled important social issues, especially racial prejudice.

My favorite marvel character was a guy Stan Lee dreamed up as a challenge to himself - to take the sort of character no one would like and make him likable.  That character was Tony Stark.

Cheers to a legend.  Excelsior!

Unbeliever

God Not Found

Munch

You know, it makes me wonder if because of these elements stan lee, steve ditko and jack kirby created, if that isn't why the marvel comic movies are doing so well, and where dc cinematic universe just isn't.
Theres always been this sum up of the differences between marvel and dc, with dc heroes, they are like gods among men, where as the marvel heroes are grounded people with flaws.

I really do believe this is whats made the marvel movies so successful, because the characters are more grounded, they have flaws. iron man was in the comics once an alcoholic, but in recent times he's developed a hubris and arrogance he overcomes. Hulk all about his split personality and dealing with that loss of control. Spidermans about trying to live a normal life and the weight of that coupled with his responsibility to those he loves.
Stuff like that is more relatable then 'I got hit by lighting now I'm super fast!' or 'my dad made me a cyborg, now i'm awesome' or 'my parents died when I was young, but I'm super rich and fight crime and have a butler who raised me'. Dc isn't as grounded as marvel.

And you can see that in the movies, even with characters like tony stark whos as rich as batman, he is deeply flawed and even with his charisma, his attitude conflicts with other characters like Steve rogers, who himself is out of time with how things are today. Conflicts like that give characters layers that just isn't there in some dc charterers.

And thats what stan, jack and steve did with these characters when making them, which is still important today.

Munch

Quote from: Unbeliever on November 12, 2018, 08:01:00 PM
Stan really liked alliteration in the names of his characters.

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/profile/zapa/lists/raj-koothrappalis-list-about-stan-lees-characters-/33219/

we get it, the only thing you can relate to stan lee is that one big bang episode.