News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

1984 is here (UK)

Started by pr126, November 12, 2018, 05:32:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pr126

Baruch

They are using Brexit as an excuse.  Gotta prevent Polish handymen from staying ;-)

A good DNA is $200 per person,  You have 50 million people, so that is about $10 billion to DNA everyone.  Do you have the money for that?  Ah, BoE is keeping the Venezuela gold, so I guess that is how this is being paid for ;-))
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Munch

You know, I've not had my passport updated in ages, and only form of id I have is my bank card and birth certificate which is falling to bits, so if they'd make id cards free id not be against it.

Of course I don't trust this government to do anything without consequences
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on November 12, 2018, 06:44:01 AM
You know, I've not had my passport updated in ages, and only form of id I have is my bank card and birth certificate which is falling to bits, so if they'd make id cards free id not be against it.

You must prove who you are.  You really can't do that, because your prior ID might be fraudulent.  Or like Dreamers in America, maybe your parents lied about your origin, or their origin.  Lawrence of Arabia was a man whose parents flew under the radar.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Years ago, I obtained a passport because I would be traveling out of country.  Good grief, what a stupid document that exudes such nonsensical importance:  "Do you have as Passport?  You can't get on this plane without a passport.  You must have a passport.  Show me your passport."  It provides the pompous idiot behind the desk with no more information than a driver's license.  I had to send them my birth certificate, an equally stupid document:  "Here is my birth certificate.  It shows that I was born."

Birth certificates can be forged just as easy as a driver's license.  And with everything about us now on a computer, they can be altered by any hacker.  So I had to go to a photographer to have my picture taken, and I sent the picture in with my certificate.  Being basically honest, I told them it was really me in the picture, and the birth certificate was really mine.  The photographer took the picture, and everyone knows photographers never take false pictures, because they are photographers. 

It took 90 days to process all my documents, none of which could be faked because they're "official documents."  Finally, I got my passport, so you know those people working for the government put a lot of time into it.  If I got it that day, like a Costco Card, it wouldn't be near as important.  Although, when I shop at Costco, they don't let me in without my Costco Card, but they don't even ask for my passport, which tells you how intrinsically worthless it is to begin with.

But it is fun standing in long lines with my passport in hand, and I burst with pride when the guy asks to see my passport, so I can say, "Yes sir.  I have my passport right here, Herr Heimlich," and then he would look at the picture, and look at me, and look back at the picture.  He would hand it back to me with a look of bored disappointment like he was hoping my passport picture was one of the Beatles, and he could arrest me for trying to fool him.

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on November 12, 2018, 07:32:12 AM
Years ago, I obtained a passport because I would be traveling out of country.  Good grief, what a stupid document that exudes such nonsensical importance:  "Do you have as Passport?  You can't get on this plane without a passport.  You must have a passport.  Show me your passport."  It provides the pompous idiot behind the desk with no more information than a driver's license.  I had to send them my birth certificate, an equally stupid document:  "Here is my birth certificate.  It shows that I was born."

Birth certificates can be forged just as easy as a driver's license.  And with everything about us now on a computer, they can be altered by any hacker.  So I had to go to a photographer to have my picture taken, and I sent the picture in with my certificate.  Being basically honest, I told them it was really me in the picture, and the birth certificate was really mine.  The photographer took the picture, and everyone knows photographers never take false pictures, because they are photographers. 

It took 90 days to process all my documents, none of which could be faked because they're "official documents."  Finally, I got my passport, so you know those people working for the government put a lot of time into it.  If I got it that day, like a Costco Card, it wouldn't be near as important.  Although, when I shop at Costco, they don't let me in without my Costco Card, but they don't even ask for my passport, which tells you how intrinsically worthless it is to begin with.

But it is fun standing in long lines with my passport in hand, and I burst with pride when the guy asks to see my passport, so I can say, "Yes sir.  I have my passport right here, Herr Heimlich," and then he would look at the picture, and look at me, and look back at the picture.  He would hand it back to me with a look of bored disappointment like he was hoping my passport picture was one of the Beatles, and he could arrest me for trying to fool him.

In the 19h century, there were almost no passports ... but there were customs to go thru.  So a passport facilitates the customs officials.  Used to be people had baptismal records, not birth certificates.  A birth certificate and a passport means that your government owns you.  So of course it makes you uncomfortable, particularly if you are a cosmopolitan (smuggler) who doesn't believe in borders.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Good reminder to notarize and laminate a copy of my birth certificate.  It IS getting fragile.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on November 14, 2018, 07:23:49 AM
Good reminder to notarize and laminate a copy of my birth certificate.  It IS getting fragile.

True.  But it might not be accepted at a government office, unless it was a recent re-issue.  Older birth certificates even notarized, aren't acceptable in today's National Security State.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on November 14, 2018, 12:49:48 PM
True.  But it might not be accepted at a government office, unless it was a recent re-issue.  Older birth certificates even notarized, aren't acceptable in todays National Security State.

I tested that and your statement is false.  Want to try again?
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on November 14, 2018, 03:47:25 PM
I tested that and your statement is false.  Want to try again?

I got my info from the Passport office (info) ... they don't like old birth certificates for getting a passport for example.  You must have gone to a "don't do my damn job" government office ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.