Republican Politician Creates A “Biblical Basis For War” Manifesto

Started by Unbeliever, November 04, 2018, 06:29:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Quote from: drunkenshoe on November 05, 2018, 02:19:44 AM
I know how it sounds, lol. It's what happened over here. The most common mistake is Westerners think that's not going to happen in their country. Or that it is different. It's not. It's an unbelievable change happening in a short time, you don't believe as it happens. You don't comprehend it. Then it becomes the normal. And then one morning you look... you live in a completely alien, dangerous place.   
I never thought it could happen here until 10 years ago.  I thought with the separation of powers and all the propaganda I was fed about the Bill of Rights and the Constitution, all we had to fear were outsiders.  Then I watched 67% of our country stop reasoning after 9-11, and I realized how fragile any political system can be.  All the junk that's written on our country's documents, and all the principles we were taught about democratic freedoms can be lost at the drop of a hat, "an unbelievable change happening in a short time, you don't believe as it happens." 

It does happen. Perhaps it's inevitable.  People are easily manipulated and susceptible to bizarre facts and outright falsehoods.  Conservatives have been waiting for a leader like Trump to give them the excuse to let out their innermost craziness, and the whack jobs are coming out of the closet to follow his lead, while blurting out nonsense at every turn. 

The danger to democracies isn't from outside sources, which play but a minor role.  The real danger comes from within.  We do these things to ourselves with unjustified confidence that we can act without thought or consequences to ourselves.

Turkey and the US are going through the same thing.  You might be a little ahead, but I'm confident we can catch up.  Don't think for a moment that Turkey has a monopoly on crazy people.  As they say in poker, "I'll see your country's crazies, and raise you double with our own."

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Unbeliever

Quote from: SGOS on November 06, 2018, 06:46:22 AM
democratic freedoms can be lost at the drop of a hat, "an unbelievable change happening in a short time, you don't believe as it happens."

If Trump can get away with squashing the 14th amendment, we may be in for a really bad time over the next few years, as Trump successively squashes all the other parts of the Constitution that he and his GOP cronies don't like.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Mike Cl

Quote from: Unbeliever on November 06, 2018, 01:24:43 PM
If Trump can get away with squashing the 14th amendment, we may be in for a really bad time over the next few years, as Trump successively squashes all the other parts of the Constitution that he and his GOP cronies don't like.
And those parts of the constitution they don't like and then squash---only then retrieve them from the trash can, dust them off and use when it suits them.  And Amerkia just goes along with it.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on November 06, 2018, 01:24:43 PM

Why not?  As the Germans said to Belgium in 1914 ... it is just a piece of paper.  Y'all need to move to Sweden, before the ME rapists get all the blondes!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Minimalist

Quote from: Hydra009 on November 05, 2018, 03:17:00 PM
The thing that bothers me most about this is that it's not some rando on the internet, this is a lawmaker.  Elected 4 times, no less.  4 times too many.

I mean check out his wiki page.  It has more red flags than an expert game of minesweeper.

Hey, this is 'Murrica.  We have lots of morons elected because they live in districts populated by morons.  We have the King Moron in the White House.
The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

Baruch

Quote from: Minimalist on December 08, 2018, 01:06:56 PM

Hey, this is 'Murrica.  We have lots of morons elected because they live in districts populated by morons.  We have the King Moron in the White House.

So why complain about lack of representation?  The average Joe is represented.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Minimalist

The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

Mike Cl

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on December 09, 2018, 03:06:40 PM
Yeah--on a good day!

Which is why the absolute monarchy of Europe circa 1675 would be a good thing to return to.  Which noble rank are you?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

God Not Found

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on December 09, 2018, 05:24:04 PM
And he now, finally, has representation in the WH.

You diss Millard Fillmore?  The outrage!

James Buchanan was our first gay President.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on December 09, 2018, 05:24:04 PM
And he now, finally, has representation in the WH.

There are times when damn fools elect damn fool leaders.  We normally survive that, but international events are moving faster these days.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Unbeliever

QuoteAfter decades of research and debate, the EPA was on the cusp of banning all use of chlorpyrifos, a poison that attacks the nervous system. But in 2017, then-EPA administrator Scott Pruitt delayed a decision by five years. Science correspondent Miles O'Brien reports that fight is part of a larger battle over the use of scientific studies and industry pressure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4BTsnRdKPo

This pesticide has been shown to cause brain damage in children, and in the rural areas where it has been used for decades. I wonder how much damage has already been done to the brains of rural people, and whether that might help explain why they vote so consistently for Republicans.
God Not Found

Baruch

DDT won't hurt you (old time materialism advocate takes a good dose).  Molecules are neutral.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.