this earth on which we live will get colder and colder

Started by SoldierofFortune, November 04, 2018, 11:44:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoldierofFortune

colder to tue degree that it wont allow to be lived on it. oour sun will blow out. and then the mankind will end or will we be able to colomize other planets to live... it seems there is no solution other than this.

Baruch

It doesn't take much.  Ten degrees colder and we go into permanent ice age.  Ten degrees hotter and most life dies.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Sal1981

Earth is the cradle of humanity, but one cannot live in a cradle forever. - Konstantin Tsiolkovsky

I'm confident that some descendants of ours will travel interstellar space, at some point in the future.

Baruch

Quote from: Sal1981 on November 04, 2018, 02:22:12 PM
Earth is the cradle of humanity, but one cannot live in a cradle forever. - Konstantin Tsiolkovsky

I'm confident that some descendants of ours will travel interstellar space, at some point in the future.

We did .. indirectly.  Voyager i and II.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Quote from: Sal1981 on November 04, 2018, 02:22:12 PM

Me, too.  Though imo there is a pretty narrow window for that - technologically developed enough to venture into space without ruining our own planet and killing ourselves in the process.  It's not a given that we'll pass this challenge, since it requires both innovation and restraint.

Mike Cl

Quote from: SoldierofFortune on November 04, 2018, 11:44:42 AM
colder to tue degree that it wont allow to be lived on it. oour sun will blow out. and then the mankind will end or will we be able to colomize other planets to live... it seems there is no solution other than this.
Well, yeah......................in billions of years.  Are you really that worried????!  And our sun will never 'blow out'.  Go out, maybe, but not blow out.  And we will have to colonize other solar systems, not just planets in this one.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Unbeliever

Quote from: Hydra009 on November 05, 2018, 11:26:42 AM
Me, too.  Though imo there is a pretty narrow window for that - technologically developed enough to venture into space without ruining our own planet and killing ourselves in the process.  It's not a given that we'll pass this challenge, since it requires both innovation and restraint.
Innovation we've got in spades - restraint, not so much.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Unbeliever

Quote from: Mike Cl on November 05, 2018, 12:02:15 PM
Well, yeah......................in billions of years.  Are you really that worried????!  And our sun will never 'blow out'.  Go out, maybe, but not blow out.  And we will have to colonize other solar systems, not just planets in this one.
I suspect that every technological species will eventually have to become space-faring nomads in order to continue their kind - until the end of the stellar era, then it's all about hunkering down around a cluster of red dwarfs. But eventually even that won't work, so by then they'd have to go extinct or tunnel into another universe, if that's even possible. I doubt that it is.
God Not Found

SoldierofFortune

To travel the solar systems that millions lights years away requires to live very long but human lifetime is limited.
If it is necessary to go by reproducing generations, it isn't possible.

Only species that can travel light years can be one whose memory and conscience are loaded in a silicon chip.
The said species can live almost forever in its protector silicon...and for him, millions lights years is no problem...

Hydra009

Quote from: Unbeliever on November 05, 2018, 01:14:56 PM
Innovation we've got in spades - restraint, not so much.
And that's a problem because colonizing space is not a quick process.

Even assuming we complete step #2 and put outposts up all over the place - on or in orbit around the moon, Mars, Venus, Jovian moons, etc all that requires time to develop and/or terraform.  Resources have to traverse AUs and this train has to keep rolling uninterrupted for centuries, maybe more before they can ever be fully self-sufficient (if that's even possible)

In contrast, our little industrialization experiment started less than 300 years ago is already risking spinning out of control, radically changing our world in ways that ultimately threaten us.  If we can't come to grips with this, colonizing space will be a bitter fantasy.

SGOS

I'm betting none of us leave this planet alive.  But then at one time, men flying around the world seemed like a pipe dream too.

trdsf

Quote from: Mike Cl on November 05, 2018, 12:02:15 PM
And of course that the Earth will be broiled to a crisp long before the cold settles in â€" whether or not climate change raises the temperatures to an unbearable degree.  The sun will go red giant before it goes white dwarf, and that spells charcoal briquette for Earth long before the big chill.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: trdsf on November 06, 2018, 11:16:36 PM
And of course that the Earth will be broiled to a crisp long before the cold settles in â€" whether or not climate change raises the temperatures to an unbearable degree.  The sun will go red giant before it goes white dwarf, and that spells charcoal briquette for Earth long before the big chill.

The Earth will boil due to climate change long before the sun goes red giant with or without people. A billion years from now the sun will be 10% more luminescent than it is today. That will be enough extra energy to to put more water vapor in the air than the water cycle can deal with. It's a positive feedback loop that will cause a greenhouse effect that will make what is going on on Venus pale by comparison. The greenhouse effect on Venus is due mostly to CO2. It doesn't have much water vapor because the weak magnetic field allowed it to be blown off into space. Earth's strong magnetic field will help trap the water vapor. As far as greenhouse gasses go water vapor is much more effective than CO2. Earth's surface temperature is expected to rise to somewhere in the neighborhood of 3600 degrees F. That's 4x hotter than Venus' paltry 900 degrees F, and its expected to happen 3.5 billion years before Sol runs out of hydrogen and starts expanding.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Unbeliever

Glad I won't be around when all that happens! Unless, of course, reincarnation is a reality...
God Not Found

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on November 07, 2018, 01:34:38 PM
Glad I won't be around when all that happens! Unless, of course, reincarnation is a reality...

You can come back as lichen, it is very long lived and can live off of bare rock.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.