Why I no longer donate to charities.

Started by Munch, November 03, 2018, 03:05:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munch

I was almost cornered by a chugger here in my town center today. For anyone not knowing a chugger is an on street charity worker who aggressively confronts you to donate to their cause, some even going as far as chasing you down to get you to donate. This one wasn't that bad but I've seen some real bad ones before.

This though isn't the real reason I've stopped donating money to charities, and only give things like food to my local supermarkets food drive for local shelters.

What happened today got me talking with my boyfriend about it, and some harsh facts I pieced together in recent times, probably something a lot of others already figured out a while ago.

There is a vicious cycle to charities, that really should make anyone reconsider giving money to them. I'm talking about things like organisations that tell you to donate to them to help starving children in third world countries with images of malnourished kids covered in flies to pull at the heart strings.

The problem however is, in these countries where these starving children and families are, many of these places are in that state, because of the corrupt political system in power there, warlords, politicians, many of take everything from these people, including the money and donations given to them from first world nations.

This thus gives them more power, and makes the people in those countries suffer even more, so instead of helping them in donations, its just making their lives worse for it.

Heres the kicker in all this thought. Recent drawn up figures in first world countries, for example take the uk here, shows us as being the 7th highest country to be donating to international aid, the charity money I mentioned before, mounting in the billions each year, of which both goes into the pockets of the greedy corporations to make these charities, and into the pockets of said warlords and corrupt politicians.

Now lets take the mass migration of people from the middle east and africa, these are the kinds of people who are living on the edge, who are flooding into europe because of how bad things are for them in their home countries, something that doesn't end because of the profits given to the warlords and corrupt political figures, given them more power and control, and giving people reason to leave their homes because of it.

But there in lies the problem, as these people flood into first world countries, these countries that have been donating billions into international aid, instead of directing the money into the aid of people flooding into europe, instead it just keeps giving the money to the countries they came from, increasing the suffering more there.

But donating so much and continuing to donate so much, it just keeps getting worse.

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development-professionals-network/2016/nov/03/afghanistans-corruption-epidemic-is-wasting-billions-in-aid

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/8684009/Will-aid-ever-get-to-those-who-need-it-in-Somalia.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7G1QcOPWVI

Thus the vicious spiral, and why I won't donate to charities anymore knowing this. Its a sad truth but the worlds a fucked up place where just because we believe we're doing good and that making us feel good about it, doesn't mean its really doing any good.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

GSOgymrat

I wouldn't give to a non-local charity without doing research.

www.givewell.org

"Don’t just give.
Make your dollar go further.
High impact giving opportunities that are supported by in-depth charity research. GiveWell is a nonprofit dedicated to finding outstanding giving opportunities through in-depth analysis. Thousands of hours of research have gone into finding our top-rated charities. They’re evidence-backed, thoroughly vetted, and underfunded."

Sal1981

Effective Altruism is a UK based organization that does something along the GiveWell one.

Mr.Obvious

Two 'chuggers' approaching me today.
Last one minutes ago after a day of work.
Seemed like an amiable guy, but i really couldn't muster a polite face.

I Walked just outside The company when he approached me. I think i was his last attempt for The day.

Him: excuse me sir, i'm going to try i anyway... Do you have a second to talk ab...
Me: no sorry, not interested. (As i Peel and eat a mandarin, continueing on my way)
Him: (following joyfully) no? You're not interested in human rights?
Me: no i... I hate all humans.
Him: (laughs politely) yeah i have days like that too. But really it's a good cause.
Me: Well... (Quicken my pace slightly.) good luck with...
Him: you honestly don't think there's a cause worth Donating to?
Me: i already donate.
Him: oh yes? Which cause.
Me: (after racing my Brain because i'm tired and i've started Donating automatically years ago.) Oxfam. Yeah, that's The one.
Him: Ah... Well have you ever listened to our...
Me: no. And i'm not going to.
Him: okay then, Thanks anyways. (He finaly falls behind.)

I was not as polite as i Should have been. But at least i think he knew that going in.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Munch

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on November 06, 2018, 10:43:15 AM
Two 'chuggers' approaching me today.
Last one minutes ago after a day of work.
Seemed like an amiable guy, but i really couldn't muster a polite face.

I Walked just outside The company when he approached me. I think i was his last attempt for The day.

Him: excuse me sir, i'm going to try i anyway... Do you have a second to talk ab...
Me: no sorry, not interested. (As i Peel and eat a mandarin, continueing on my way)
Him: (following joyfully) no? You're not interested in human rights?
Me: no i... I hate all humans.
Him: (laughs politely) yeah i have days like that too. But really it's a good cause.
Me: Well... (Quicken my pace slightly.) good luck with...
Him: you honestly don't think there's a cause worth Donating to?
Me: i already donate.
Him: oh yes? Which cause.
Me: (after racing my Brain because i'm tired and i've started Donating automatically years ago.) Oxfam. Yeah, that's The one.
Him: Ah... Well have you ever listened to our...
Me: no. And i'm not going to.
Him: okay then, Thanks anyways. (He finaly falls behind.)

I was not as polite as i Should have been
. But at least i think he knew that going in.

are you kidding? That guy chased you down, I considered that fucking rude that he didn't take your first NO as an answer.

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Munch on November 06, 2018, 11:54:19 AM
are you kidding? That guy chased you down, I considered that fucking rude that he didn't take your first NO as an answer.

Not kidding. I was really irritable from the get-go.
Not excusing him either. He was annoying.
But then again, I have to be an annoying nag to many of my cliënts too. Albeit in a different fashion. And he is simply trying to make a living like me.
Poor choice in making a living, mind you. But still.

He was being annoying. But so was I. Sarcasm rolled up to red-levels.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Munch

Its weird, these guys who are so confrontational about getting your money, not taking no as an answer, you'd think you'd hear more cases of them being punched or assaulted.

And yet, in my own home town, you have cases like this happening recently.
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/7635234/maurice-bastable-poppy-seller-marks-and-spencer-robbed/
The guy is an 84 year old Army veteran, who I saw walking past him, selling poppies for remembrance sunday. He's never been a chugger, never tried to wangle money from people, he just sells poppies for a cause in honor to his own fallen soldiers. I brought a poppy from him the other day infact.. and some cunts stole the money he made for his cause right off his table.
When I brought the poppy off him, I saw a young looking guy stood next to him, hired on as a bodyguard, and the town center gave him the money the fuckers stole from him back.

It blows my mind, you have the worst kind of charity collectors pissing people off in the worst way, and yet when a genuinely nice guy does it, he gets robbed.

(And yeah I know I broke my not donating to charity thing, but I felt so moved by the old soldiers story, and always wear a poppy this time of year given my grandfather was in the war, so its more to him)

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on November 06, 2018, 06:19:00 PM
Its weird, these guys who are so confrontational about getting your money, not taking no as an answer, you'd think you'd hear more cases of them being punched or assaulted.

And yet, in my own home town, you have cases like this happening recently.
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/7635234/maurice-bastable-poppy-seller-marks-and-spencer-robbed/
The guy is an 84 year old Army veteran, who I saw walking past him, selling poppies for remembrance sunday. He's never been a chugger, never tried to wangle money from people, he just sells poppies for a cause in honor to his own fallen soldiers. I brought a poppy from him the other day infact.. and some cunts stole the money he made for his cause right off his table.
When I brought the poppy off him, I saw a young looking guy stood next to him, hired on as a bodyguard, and the town center gave him the money the fuckers stole from him back.

It blows my mind, you have the worst kind of charity collectors pissing people off in the worst way, and yet when a genuinely nice guy does it, he gets robbed.

(And yeah I know I broke my not donating to charity thing, but I felt so moved by the old soldiers story, and always wear a poppy this time of year given my grandfather was in the war, so its more to him)

I have hear that militant pacifists want GB to forget WW I.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

trdsf

I donate through work.  To the local Stonewall, to Rainbow (which supports gay youth), to NARAL, to the local science museum, and to a space education charity.  I *like* being able to donate a little something, after many years of being sidelined financially.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

sdelsolray

I donate money, food, used items (household goods, etc.) and free legal services (I'm a lawyer - just a day job) to local charities and groups.  There's plenty of need where I live (Portland, Oregon) and it's a bit more personal and enjoyable to do it that way, at least for me.

Munch

Quote from: sdelsolray on November 08, 2018, 06:33:47 PM
I donate money, food, used items (household goods, etc.) and free legal services (I'm a lawyer - just a day job) to local charities and groups.  There's plenty of need where I live (Portland, Oregon) and it's a bit more personal and enjoyable to do it that way, at least for me.

see at least when its local, you can see the results and knowing its actually helping people.

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on November 08, 2018, 06:58:34 PM
see at least when its local, you can see the results and knowing its actually helping people.

Virtue signaling usually means much publicity and little result.  It is to make the virtue signaler feel good about themselves.

Actual philanthropists simply do it, and don't make a public fuss about it.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

When I say that I only donate to American Atheists, Inc and the Hemlock Society, that usually ends their interest.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on November 09, 2018, 02:20:27 AM
When I say that I only donate to American Atheists, Inc and the Hemlock Society, that usually ends their interest.

But did all the American atheists commit suicide yet?  Just find the combination funny.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on November 09, 2018, 02:54:18 AM
But did all the American atheists commit suicide yet?  Just find the combination funny.

*sigh*  One can be an atheist and love living.  Equally, one can love life yet desire an end to it without final months of undignified pain and diaper-changing or entubing.

When I can't have cats around me, mobility, flowers, and a fresh tomato, that time to check out painlessly and forever.  I will miss knowing about humanity's progress into the future, but that is going to happen regardless of how long I live in the natural course of life.

So I desire that "Gumint" allows me to choose to stop without pain.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!