News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Old essay, but still relevant ...

Started by Baruch, November 01, 2018, 01:51:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on May 21, 2019, 04:57:36 PM
OK, so even if the Bible's God isn't real, that doesn't mean Ganesh can't exist!

Ganesh is more useful (supports study and business success) and is cuter.  Who doesn't like elephants?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: aitm on May 21, 2019, 07:41:37 PM
The babble is full of gnashing of teeth and tearing of clothes...apparently old time Jews were a bit high strung.

You would be if you were one.  99.9% of humanity whose sole mission for all time, is to unjustly exterminate you.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: aitm on May 21, 2019, 04:42:20 PM
When the first page tells us the sky is water, most reasonable people would tend to think the rest is equally absurd...and it is.

Hatred of poetry, leads to prose.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Congratulate me, I turned 69 yesterday.  I mention that only because I've been an atheist since around 10-14 (it was gradual).  In all the years since then, the most common questions have been "Well, what made you turn away from God?" and "What event in your life made you hate God?"

Neither are the least bit accurate.  I never "turned away" from God.  I never believed in a deity of any sort to begin with.  You have to be taught to believe in any deity and I wasn't.  When questioned about deities, my view was mostly "show me evidence of one".  And I never had some awful event in my life that "made me angry at some deity".  I had a rather good childhood and nothing bad happened to me. 

I was generally encouraged to look at facts as I grew up, but I was equally encouraged to consider ethical matters.  By the time I went off to college, I was the very definition of a moral ethical adult seeing evidence as the best way to understand our place in the universe.  I've never had any reason to change.

I have had many people tell me that when I am dying, I will change my mind.  If I am dying by some cause that does not steal my mind, I doubt it.  If I am dying with some sort of dementia, that might happen.  But it won't be "ME" saying that.  One never knows what dementia will do. 

But I have to smile today.  If the theists depend on dementia to get me to say on my deathbed someday that I think there is a deity, they are REALLY desperate...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Congrats on your birthday.  But I am surprised you would engage in such a primitive and superstitious celebration ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on May 22, 2019, 03:34:39 AM
Congrats on your birthday.  But I am surprised you would engage in such a primitive and superstitious celebration ;-)

Apparently, you missed "I mention that only"... part.  You really should read whole posts rather than just snatch a bit for your post-count-goals (whatever they are).
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on May 22, 2019, 04:47:07 AM
Apparently, you missed "I mention that only"... part.  You really should read whole posts rather than just snatch a bit for your post-count-goals (whatever they are).

You attempt to take back what you say, but say it anyway.  That is a gambit, and I could see right thru it.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

aitm

Quote from: Baruch on May 21, 2019, 08:41:58 PM
You would be if you were one.  99.9% of humanity whose sole mission for all time, is to unjustly exterminate you.

According to the babble, there were only Jews for a while so.......
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Jagella

Quote from: Arik on May 21, 2019, 10:15:27 AMBy saying....................no perfect god could author such an imperfect work.....................do you think that there is no a mighty God on the bases that the Bible contain BS?

Do you mean that?

Essentially, yes. After seeing how much Christian theism fails to substantiate itself, I see no reason to waste my time with any other gods. Other gods are obviously no more substantiated than the Bible god. If I'm wrong about this conclusion, and if some other god is substantiated to me, then I will change my mind.

Arik

Quote from: Jagella on May 22, 2019, 09:23:10 AM
Essentially, yes. After seeing how much Christian theism fails to substantiate itself, I see no reason to waste my time with any other gods. Other gods are obviously no more substantiated than the Bible god. If I'm wrong about this conclusion, and if some other god is substantiated to me, then I will change my mind.

Very sad indeed Jagella.

You had a bad experience with something so you came to the conclusion that all the rest must be bad as well.
It never pop up in your mind that God never wrote the Bible or that God never started any religions?
Why blame someone who has nothing to do with religions and their dogmas?

When you were born, you were crying and everyone around you was smiling. Live your life so that when you die, you’re the one smiling and everyone around you is crying. Tulsi Das

aitm

Quote from: Jagella on May 22, 2019, 09:23:10 AM
and if some other god is substantiated to me, then I will change my mind.

"It" won't and you won't need to. The long and short of it is, "where did all the gods come from"? If one answer is "from man" then they all are. It is not just the obvious that the gods somehow prefer to be among those whom invented them...odd that eh? but of all the religions not one....not one single religion seems to enjoy a higher rate of active "grace". You can't find a religion where the followers can boast of receiving "gods grace"at a significantly higher rate than other religions. And if your god is not going to be one, what is the use of even suggesting you are?

When you have 200 gods and 200 bat shit crazy stories about them, anyone that can pick one and point to it and say, "this is the true religion", is an idiot.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Unbeliever

I think the phrase "true religion" is an oxymoron.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: aitm on May 22, 2019, 07:38:01 AM
According to the babble, there were only Jews for a while so.......

Still here, 3000 years later, more or less.  Can Americans claim that some day?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on May 22, 2019, 01:29:00 PM
I think the phrase "true religion" is an oxymoron.

Honest politician ;-)  Non-apelike human ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

I wasn't asking for examples of oxymorons, we could be here all day (or all week) listing those.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman