News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Which version of Hell is the worst?

Started by Unbeliever, October 30, 2018, 04:05:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unbeliever

It turns out that the Christian version of Hell isn't the only one:

QuoteToday, even people of the same religion often have different beliefs about Hell. Does it exist? Is it a literal place of punishment, or just a symbol of spiritual suffering? But those questions are really just the beginning. Throughout history, people have imagined vastly different scenarios for those who didn't do things quite right during life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VWb3ZZ1U3o
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Nope.  In Buddhism, hells are progressively hotter.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

I recall in Big Trouble in Little China, there seemed like there were an awful lot of hells! LOL
God Not Found

ferdmonger

Belief in any of this nonsense is ridiculous.

Let it go. 

Which version of hell is most ridiculous? All of them.

Baruch

Yet people do suffer in their own individual and collective hells, every day.  Denial?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Blackleaf

I find the very concept of Hell incredibly silly now that I'm an unbeliever. You're telling me that without a brain to process thoughts and feelings, and without a body with nerve endings, that after I die, my soul is magically teleported to another dimension where I am tortured for eternity...somehow. How? Does the soul process thoughts and pain? If so, then why did God bother creating the brain? How does an intangible soul even get tortured? Even the Bible says that the soul cannot be harmed by physical things. So is Hell full of spiritual torture devices? Is Hell's fire a ghost fire? It doesn't make the least bit of sense.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

Quote from: Blackleaf on October 31, 2018, 02:30:20 AM
I find the very concept of Hell incredibly silly now that I'm an unbeliever. You're telling me that without a brain to process thoughts and feelings, and without a body with nerve endings, that after I die, my soul is magically teleported to another dimension where I am tortured for eternity...somehow. How? Does the soul process thoughts and pain? If so, then why did God bother creating the brain? How does an intangible soul even get tortured? Even the Bible says that the soul cannot be harmed by physical things. So is Hell full of spiritual torture devices? Is Hell's fire a ghost fire? It doesn't make the least bit of sense.

Materialism makes skepticism easier.  But I was speaking of hell in this life, not in the future.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

I don't know if it's just me, but as a former Christian, the Christian Hell ranks right up there as the worst.  I've come to reject that images of burning in eternal flames, but I still linger a bit on the concept of Hell as so enormously bad, that it remains outside of my imagination, so I get a little extra fear from the notion of the unknowingly horrible.

The other 10 in the video certainly wouldn't be great alternatives, but I'm wondering about reactions of others.  Did you tend to laugh at any of them for being ridiculous or even banal?  The Viking one, Hell of freezing cold, is so obvious as formed from the tediousness of bitter exposure and clearly shows it's man made.  Or did any of the others seem pointless, like "WTF?"

The Hell you learn to create yourself is probably the worst one for you.  The Bible Hell, say examples from Revelations, if indeed that's a description of Hell, isn't all that scary.  It's laughable.  Dragons with 7 of this and 7 of that.  I mean what so bad about 7 heads?  It's absurd, but is that supposed to make it 7 times more worrisome?  I imagine Hindus looking at Christians and scratching their heads over how the West comes up with such weird shit, while at the same time totally accepting their own weird shit.

How easily humans can believe or reject ideas of the absurd without any rational reasons for believing one, but not the other.  Religion relies on this sort of mental processing to gain it's strength.  Reason is the enemy of religion.

SGOS

If I found a dragon with seven horns and seven tails, and 7 tongues of flame, I'd put the thing in a zoo so everyone could look at it and feed it marshmallows and bags of peanuts.  Did you ever notice that there seems like there's only one kind of dragon?  They seldom identify a species of dragon.  It's always just "a dragon", and it's never given a Latin designation like dragonensis, improbablius.

Blackleaf

Quote from: SGOS on October 31, 2018, 08:28:26 AM
If I found a dragon with seven horns and seven tails, and 7 tongues of flame, I'd put the thing in a zoo so everyone could look at it and feed it marshmallows and bags of peanuts.  Did you ever notice that there seems like there's only one kind of dragon?  They seldom identify a species of dragon.  It's always just "a dragon", and it's never given a Latin designation like dragonensis, improbablius.

I've never heard any Latin names for dragons, but there multiple species of dragons, depending on the source. Common subtypes include wyrms (typically serpentine, with no limbs or wings), and wyvern (small, two legs, two wings, and not as intelligent as full dragons). In D&D, full dragons come in many varieties, usually named by color:

Also, the seven-headed dragon describes a hydra. These typically have the ability to grow new heads if one is cut off.

Typically, though, I expect most people's reaction to finding a dragon wouldn't be to classify it, but to yell, "Holy shit! A dragon!" Then trying not to get their flesh melted off their bones.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

In Genesis, the word for serpent means dragon, not snake.  And in Gematria, the code for serpent and messiah, are the same.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

God Not Found

SGOS

Quote from: Blackleaf on October 31, 2018, 10:20:31 AM
I've never heard any Latin names for dragons, but there multiple species of dragons, depending on the source. Common subtypes include wyrms (typically serpentine, with no limbs or wings), and wyvern (small, two legs, two wings, and not as intelligent as full dragons). In D&D, full dragons come in many varieties, usually named by color:

Also, the seven-headed dragon describes a hydra. These typically have the ability to grow new heads if one is cut off.

Typically, though, I expect most people's reaction to finding a dragon wouldn't be to classify it, but to yell, "Holy shit! A dragon!" Then trying not to get their flesh melted off their bones.
Thanks.  I did not know this.

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Munch

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin