News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

The Movie Critic Cliché War

Started by SGOS, October 26, 2018, 02:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

I always get a kick out of how movie critics often dis a bad movie and combine the title or the point of the movie into a snarky comment.  Here's one I spotted on Rotten Tomatoes.  I don't plan to see this until the DVD comes out and I know nothing about the new movie, Hunter Killer, other than it's another of the submarine flick series that kind of kicked off with the incredible Hunt for Red October, and then became a series of clichés in themselves.  So don't assume I'm dumping on the movie, just commenting on a typical response used to trash a mediocre film.  I often find them clever, and I guess movie critics are kind of obligated to create as well as critique.  Just a passing comment on a common formula critics use to add life to their reviews:

QuoteHunter Killer had the target locked in its sights, but it ends up sinking itself, with a story that just doesn't hold water.

GSOgymrat

"I could eat a can of Kodak and puke a better movie." - Lola Brewster reviewing The Mirror Crack'd.

Unbeliever

“It is a film so awe-inspiringly wooden that it is basically a fire-risk.”

Grace of Monaco, Peter Bradshaw, The Guardian.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

SGOS

Master Minds

"I stopped taking notes on my Palm Pilot and started playing the little chess game." â€" Roger Ebert

Unbeliever

Wow, I didn't know Ebert played chess!
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

SGOS

Quote from: Unbeliever on October 26, 2018, 07:20:06 PM
Wow, I didn't know Ebert played chess!
He doesn't.  That's why it's funny.

Edit:  I don't know if he plays chess or not.  I just had to say that.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on October 26, 2018, 08:40:12 PM
He doesn't.  That's why it's funny.

Edit:  I don't know if he plays chess or not.  I just had to say that.

You just committed a Baruchism.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

drunkenshoe

Funniest thing is Roger Ebert died in 2013. Masterminds is a 2016 movie, lol.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Baruch

Quote from: drunkenshoe on October 27, 2018, 02:47:06 AM

Now that is genius!  Did Ebert have a crystal ball?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: drunkenshoe on October 27, 2018, 02:47:06 AM
I can't account for that.  All I can tell you is I got that from a site of Roger Ebert's best movie disses.  This requires further study.  I'll see if I can find it again.

SGOS

Here it is.  It's quite away down.  Number 10 on the list:

https://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2012/06/the-50-harshest-roger-ebert-movie-review-quotes/masterminds

Apparently, there was a Master Minds released in 1997.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on October 27, 2018, 09:08:46 AM

https://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2012/06/the-50-harshest-roger-ebert-movie-review-quotes/masterminds

Hollywood is Groundhog Day ... the same movies over and over again.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: SGOS on October 27, 2018, 09:08:46 AM

Ah, I did think like that and typed the name seperate like you did. There wasn't anything at the first page and I didn't check the Ebert site. :)

Roger Ebert himself, dissed almost every movie, even mocked, but also added 'don't miss it' if it was fun and entertaining. I liked that. He just didn't have any compassion for any movie that pretended to be something more than it was.   
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp