News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Which version of Hell is the worst?

Started by Unbeliever, October 30, 2018, 04:05:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Quote from: Mike Cl on November 09, 2018, 11:51:23 AM
One of the things that has bothered me is that 'strict' constitutionalist'  interpretation is that we'd have to go back to slavery and only allow landed white men to vote.  "All men were created equal......." really means that women were not equal and that people of color were not equal and propertyless people were not equal.   We are still fighting some of those battles.

That women and minorities were not considered "men" in a legal sense is one of those things of history.  The law was the law, after all.  And who could blame lawyers for supporting "The Law"

And that is the way the US Supreme Court will rule with fanatic predisposition.  By equoutine and honest views, never mins that thereeany politics invilved. Let all the roofs fail...

Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Blackleaf

Quote from: Cavebear on November 09, 2018, 11:11:28 AM
I looked for the LIKE button without success.  Because you are right down my alley on this.  Consider yourself "liked".  For what it is worth...

I gave the post an extra like, just for you. >:)
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Cavebear

Quote from: Blackleaf on November 09, 2018, 12:11:37 PM
I gave the post an extra like, just for you. >:)

Thank you and I hope the post added to everyones' appreciation of sarcasm.

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on November 09, 2018, 11:51:23 AM
One of the things that has bothered me is that 'strict' constitutionalist'  interpretation is that we'd have to go back to slavery and only allow landed white men to vote.  "All men were created equal......." really means that women were not equal and that people of color were not equal and propertyless people were not equal.   We are still fighting some of those battles.

Exactly correct regarding "original interpretation".  "original interpretation" denies the whole point of amendments and court interpretation of what the law means.  Can't see any future in that.

On the other hand, making major changes without making an amendment, is rebellion.  Just ask the seceding states.  Refusal to enforce the law, rather than repeal it ... is malfeasance.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on November 09, 2018, 12:50:01 PM
Exactly correct regarding "original interpretation".  "original interpretation" denies the whole point of amendments and court interpretation of what the law means.  Can't see any future in that.

On the other hand, making major changes without making an amendment, is rebellion.  Just ask the seceding states.  Refusal to enforce the law, rather than repeal it ... is malfeasance.

There is hope for you yet...  You held two conflicting thoughts in your mind without your head exploding.  Or should we call for a cleaning crew...?

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on November 09, 2018, 02:27:10 PM
There is hope for you yet...  You held two conflicting thoughts in your mind without your head exploding.  Or should we call for a cleaning crew...?

The law is an ass ... old saying.  It is inherently self contradictory.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on November 09, 2018, 06:08:41 PM
The law is an ass ... old saying.  It is inherently self contradictory.

Indeed.  There is always a conflict between justice and law.  Justice sometimes errs in the decision of the judge and no judge is perfect; law can sometimes be harsh in the technical application of it's rigid rules.  Neither way is perfect.  But justice should always remain supreme.  As no computer program is perfect, no legal program can be either.  Justice is the human mind considering difficult situations. 

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on November 14, 2018, 05:50:54 PM
Indeed.  There is always a conflict between justice and law.  Justice sometimes errs in the decision of the judge and no judge is perfect; law can sometimes be harsh in the technical application of it's rigid rules.  Neither way is perfect.  But justice should always remain supreme.  As no computer program is perfect, no legal program can be either.  Justice is the human mind considering difficult situations.

What people want isn't justice, they want vengeance against their perceived enemies.  The law is the compromise between different legal mafiosi arguing how to cut up the pie.  On behalf of their constituents .. of course.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.