News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

I Have To Leave For A While

Started by Cavebear, October 14, 2018, 04:40:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unbeliever

I miss him already! I need my Cave Bear fix!
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Unbeliever on October 21, 2018, 05:10:01 PM
I miss him already! I need my Cave Bear fix!

He was like a solid 20% of the traffic of this forum.
Baruch being 30% and the rest of us making up the other half.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Unbeliever

Yeah, think how lonely poor Baruch must be!
God Not Found

Baruch

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on October 21, 2018, 05:51:46 PM
He was like a solid 20% of the traffic of this forum.
Baruch being 30% and the rest of us making up the other half.

Cave and I work like Trojans (old saying).  And for you gay guys, I don't mean what that sounds like!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on October 21, 2018, 06:01:35 PM
Yeah, think how lonely poor Baruch must be!

The majority Daleks working to "exterminate", "exterminate" pr126 and Munch ... keep me entertained.  But are y'all ... Imperial or Renegade?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W64a-rR0zN8
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Unbeliever on October 21, 2018, 06:01:35 PM
I miss him already! I need my Cave Bear fix, think how lonely poor Baruch must be!
I have long suspected Cavebear was wrestling with some type of forum obsession that he was unable to control.  He bragged on several occasions how he had Baruch on ignore, but then he would respond frequently enough to suggest he wasn't ignoring Baruch at all.  Then a couple of months ago, he started disappearing for a week or so.  But some mornings I would enter the forum's "recent topics" page, and be confronted by a wall of Cavebear's posts responding to everything that could fit on the page, mostly to Baruch, since Baruch dominates the "recent topics" page, anyway.  He was even responding to Baruch's most pointless and inane drivel.  At that time, I was quite sure that Cavebear had lost control of his struggle.  He was no longer choosing his own path, but had become obsessed, and he knew it.

Baruch

He seems to have trouble with insomnia.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on October 22, 2018, 09:42:10 AM
I have long suspected Cavebear was wrestling with some type of forum obsession that he was unable to control.  He bragged on several occasions how he had Baruch on ignore, but then he would respond frequently enough to suggest he wasn't ignoring Baruch at all.  Then a couple of months ago, he started disappearing for a week or so.  But some mornings I would enter the forum's "recent topics" page, and be confronted by a wall of Cavebear's posts responding to everything that could fit on the page, mostly to Baruch, since Baruch dominates the "recent topics" page, anyway.  He was even responding to Baruch's most pointless and inane drivel.  At that time, I was quite sure that Cavebear had lost control of his struggle.  He was no longer choosing his own path, but had become obsessed, and he knew it.

Well thought out and reasonably accurate.  I have been obsessed discussing here.  I've never met a group of smarter people. 

My relationship with Baruch is complicated.  When he posts sensible observations, I admire his knowledge and education, and wish to engage him further.  But when he goes off into stupid nonsenical bad jokes about everything, I get annoyed and use the ignore function for a while.

I can engage him on equal grounds, stupid jokes or sensible posts.  But when he pulls me into stupidity, I become annoyed at myself and withdraw a bit.  Baruch is who he is and I am who I am.  When he posts thoughtfully, he brings out the best in me.  When he posts stupidly, he brings out the sophomoric side of me.

I react to people as they show themselves or act.  As an example, when I was on the high school golf team, I was barely good enough to be on it.  So I was the alternate/substitute player and ended up playing the other team's alternate most times.  If that player was good, I played well, rising to the challenge.  When that player played poorly, I played poorly too, not feeling a challenge.

So when I see a good argument here, I respond equally.  But it is pretty hard to find a good argument from a theist.  I'm beginning to think there is really no point in arguing with theists. 

I came here originally hoping to just discuss general subjects with fellow atheists assuning that we would have appraoches to world problems in common.  And I still think that is true.  And I hope I can back to that.  So I'm going to try engaging again with that idea in mind.

I plan to ignore all theists.  Their superstitious opinions mean nothing to me and debating them is just a waste of time. I might fail at that, no one is perfect.  But that's the goal.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

The others, besides me, need to hold up their end, to engage you more.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on November 03, 2018, 02:48:40 AM

You may have more potential to keep participants engaged than you think.  When you treat subjects seriously you are very good.  When you treat serious subjects as jokes in your apparent vague depression, it ruins discussions and makes you seem less than you really are.

I try to engage seriously.  I fail sometimes, but always and only when I fall to the sophomoric in your posts.  I'll easily admit that I do love to make fun, joke, and play word games but only when you pull me in that direction.  I would prefer to stay a bit more serious and make a few humorous comments when the situation calls for it.

Do better and I will too...

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on November 09, 2018, 02:01:11 AM
You may have more potential to keep participants engaged than you think.  When you treat subjects seriously you are very good.  When you treat serious subjects as jokes in your apparent vague depression, it ruins discussions and makes you seem less than you really are.

I try to engage seriously.  I fail sometimes, but always and only when I fall to the sophomoric in your posts.  I'll easily admit that I do love to make fun, joke, and play word games but only when you pull me in that direction.  I would prefer to stay a bit more serious and make a few humorous comments when the situation calls for it.

Do better and I will too...

In the Star Trek episode ... with the parallel universe, with the evil Federation, the evil Kirk had a built in disintegrator to make opponents disappear.  The good Kirk told the evil Spock about it before he left.  With that as a tool, there would be fewer posters here ... seriously.  I am glad it doesn't exist ... too tempting.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Baruch on November 03, 2018, 02:48:40 AM
Last time I held up my end it got kicked! LOL
God Not Found

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on November 09, 2018, 01:39:04 PM
Last time I held up my end it got kicked! LOL

I get my butt kicked sometimes, too.  So I kick back.  Stand and speak.  Engage.  Or it is just me and Baruch and who wants THAT?  I sure don't.  I want all you others to get involved...